Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug)
    Insured Bristol on the off chance they'd accept me on lower grades, but it's A*AA for both. What's your plan?
    I've insured Warwick which is a*aa and firmed Cambridge which is also a*as, although maths a level isn't included in the latter :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    I've insured Warwick which is a*aa and firmed Cambridge which is also a*as, although maths a level isn't included in the latter :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Damn, that's annoying. At least it isn't A*A*A, I have friends who got offers like that for Cambridge (not for Econ though). Gives them so little margin for error.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what topics are covered in Furthered Maths. (I'm from North America so just wanted to know the difference between Furthered Maths and AP Calculus AB)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meow1489)
    Just wondering what topics are covered in Furthered Maths. (I'm from North America so just wanted to know the difference between Furthered Maths and AP Calculus AB)
    It's split into these main divisions: decision maths, pure mathematics, statistics and mechanics.

People generally choose a combination of pure mathematics with one or two of the other applied maths modules.

It also greatly depends on the exam board, for AQA it is as follows for pure maths:

Algebra and Graphs
    Complex Numbers Roots and Coefficients of a quadratic equation Series Calculus
    Numerical Methods
    Trigonometry Matrices and Transformations

Roots of Polynomials
    Complex Numbers
    De Moivre’s Theorem
    Proof by Induction
    Finite Series
    The Calculus of Inverse Trigonometrical Functions
    Hyperbolic Functions
    Arc Length and Area of surface of revolution about the x-axis

Series and Limits Polar Coordinates Differential Equations Differential Equations – First Order Differential Equations – Second Order

Vectors and Three-Dimensional Coordinate Geometry Matrix Algebra Solution of Linear Equations Determinants Linear Independence

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else for Industrial Economics at Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    Damn, that's annoying. At least it isn't A*A*A, I have friends who got offers like that for Cambridge (not for Econ though). Gives them so little margin for error.
    Yeah true A*A*A would be such a nightmare especially if you only take 3 subjects with 4 it'd be a bit of leeway

You looking forward to Oxford? I've never really looked at their econ & management course before, what's it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    It's split into these main divisions: decision maths, pure mathematics, statistics and mechanics.

People generally choose a combination of pure mathematics with one or two of the other applied maths modules.

It also greatly depends on the exam board, for AQA it is as follows for pure maths:

Algebra and Graphs
    Complex Numbers Roots and Coefficients of a quadratic equation Series Calculus
    Numerical Methods
    Trigonometry Matrices and Transformations

Roots of Polynomials
    Complex Numbers
    De Moivre’s Theorem
    Proof by Induction
    Finite Series
    The Calculus of Inverse Trigonometrical Functions
    Hyperbolic Functions
    Arc Length and Area of surface of revolution about the x-axis

Series and Limits Polar Coordinates Differential Equations Differential Equations – First Order Differential Equations – Second Order

Vectors and Three-Dimensional Coordinate Geometry Matrix Algebra Solution of Linear Equations Determinants Linear Independence

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much! Looks like there's some extra studying I have to do before I start my first year!

ReputationRep:
    Depending on where you're going lots of people won't have any further maths knowledge, where are you going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! Looks like there's some extra studying I have to do before I start my first year!
    Yeah, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it! Unless its Cambridge, Warwick, or LSE you're going to (maybe more i'm not too sure) the majority of people won't have taken Further Maths. So, don't go too crazy!

ReputationRep:
    Depending on where you're going lots of people won't have any further maths knowledge, where are you going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm going to Warwick for Economics

ReputationRep:
    I've never really looked at their econ & management course before, what's it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    First year is 1/3 Economics, 1/3 Management, 1/3 Finance. Next two years there's 3 compulsory Econ, 2 Management and 3 optionals from a range of Econ/Management/Finance modules etc... so kinda like an undergrad MBA.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Warwick for Economics
    Yeah I wouldn't worry too much, plenty of people won't have done further maths as Warwick so as long as you've covered standard a level topics you'll be on a level playing field

(Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    First year is 1/3 Economics, 1/3 Management, 1/3 Finance. Next two years there's 3 compulsory Econ, 2 Management and 3 optionals from a range of Econ/Management/Finance modules etc... so kinda like an undergrad MBA.
    Glad I decided on Cambridge then, you could end up doing less than half your degree in economics with that right?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah true A*A*A would be such a nightmare especially if you only take 3 subjects with 4 it'd be a bit of leeway

You looking forward to Oxford? I've never really looked at their econ & management course before, what's it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm tentatively excited, but obviously a little apprehensive about the workload.

It's meant to be roughly 50/50 Economics and Management but there's a lot of personalisation available. Fortunately I find both sides interesting, but I hear quite a few apply to avoid the maths of the Cambridge course

ReputationRep:
    Already firmed Notts for striaght econ, but wonder what's the chance for wawick or ucl being available in adjustment
    My offer from Notts is AABB which I think I should be able to exceed that.
    Also which uni would you choose between durham and notts (in case durham is in adjustment as well)?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMW96)
    Already firmed Notts for striaght econ, but wonder what's the chance for wawick or ucl being available in adjustment
    Also which uni would you choose between durham and notts (in case durham is in adjustment as well)?
    The difference is negligible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Glad I decided on Cambridge then, you could end up doing less than half your degree in economics with that right?
    Pretty much. I guess it depends on what you want out of your education. A 'Top 5' less-mathsy option also appeals to some, who get intimidated by Greek symbols.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMW96)
    Sorry to say, but it's (almost) unheard of to have Warwick/UCL in adjustment.

ReputationRep:
    I'm tentatively excited, but obviously a little apprehensive about the workload.

It's meant to be roughly 50/50 Economics and Management but there's a lot of personalisation available. Fortunately I find both sides interesting, but I hear quite a few apply to avoid the maths of the Cambridge course
    That's good, I had a practice interview with a guy doing it at Oxford and he seemed very keen on the course so you'll have a good time 😁
    (Original post by FMW96)
    I don't think you're likely to get any of those in adjustment tbh so you should just stick with Nottingham plus some people will have had a*aa offers so it's a decent course

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMW96)
    Durham has the edge over Nottingham for economics (although the difference is small). Thinks its unheard of for Durham to be in adjustment though - I read somewhere that the following unis are unsurprisingly never in adjustment, clearing etc: Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL, and Durham - also very rare for Warwick to be in.

Stick with Notts, its still a quality uni

ReputationRep:
    I'm really unsure where to pick, I've got offers from Durham, Nottingham & Edinburgh for L100 econ. I'm not sure which is really best, is there much difference between Durham & Nottingham/Edinburgh?

Also, how do people think management Bsc at LSE stacks up against my other options in terms of prospects, prestige etc. IS TRADING ECON FOR MANAGEMENT A GOOD IDEA? This decision is genuinely running my life right now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.