Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Few games coming up for me: Stoke and Exeter at Anfield in both cup competitions, and then West Ham if we advance past the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Expecting to see Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Sakho, A. Moreno, Lucas, Can, Milner, Henderson, Lallana, Firmino tonight. The only question is whether he throws in Caulker in Sakho's stead, I guess. I can't imagine he'll opt for Benteke, given Arsenal's back line's ability to dominate in the air. We should be looking to play it on the deck whenever possible in the final third.
    I'd think we could potentially win the game with that line-up.. I guess Caulker, Allen and Benteke would be the 3 subs who can come on.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I'd think we could potentially win the game with that line-up.. I guess Caulker, Allen and Benteke would be the 3 subs who can come on.
    Not a big fan of changing the defence through a game, to be honest, but if Sakho starts he almost certainly won't last the full 90.

ReputationRep:
    Not a big fan of changing the defence through a game, to be honest, but if Sakho starts he almost certainly won't last the full 90.
    No but if we get 45-60 minutes of Sakho, it might be better for us? At least he's familiar with our defence/team.

Or do we just save him to play 90 minutes against Man Utd?

ReputationRep:
    I think I would rather play a 4-2-3-1 than a 4-3-3. Yes we would give more help to our fullbacks but I'd rather our 2 forward players in Lallana and Milner tracked back. If we have that extra midfielder in front then he (Henderson) can press on to Flamani/Ramsey rather than trying to cover off the pass.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No but if we get 45-60 minutes of Sakho, it might be better for us? At least he's familiar with our defence/team.

Or do we just save him to play 90 minutes against Man Utd?
    I think part of the reason Caulker has come in is to lessen the burden. His acquisition means - by definition - that Sakho plays less, Toure plays less, Lovren plays less, and Caulker plays more. It's perfect. I think, probably, Sakho starts if he's anywhere near fit.

You reckon Lucas and Can could probably play in the heart of the defence, too, but game management is key. They need looking after, and we can't push them too far.

I think I would rather play a 4-2-3-1 than a 4-3-3. Yes we would give more help to our fullbacks but I'd rather our 2 forward players in Lallana and Milner tracked back. If we have that extra midfielder in front then he (Henderson) can press on to Flamani/Ramsey rather than trying to cover off the pass.
    I'd have Benteke on the bench, alongside Ojo, tonight. Frustrate Arsenal for an hour, and then maybe deploy Benteke - and start him at the weekend, because United will be more of a direct game as they don't press and sit deep.

ReputationRep:
    I think part of the reason Caulker has come in is to lessen the burden. His acquisition means - by definition - that Sakho plays less, Toure plays less, Lovren plays less, and Caulker plays more. It's perfect. I think, probably, Sakho starts if he's anywhere near fit.

You reckon Lucas and Can could probably play in the heart of the defence, too, but game management is key. They need looking after, and we can't push them too far.

I'd have Benteke on the bench, alongside Ojo, tonight. Frustrate Arsenal for an hour, and then maybe deploy Benteke - and start him at the weekend, because United will be more of a direct game as they don't press and sit deep.
    Well no one seems to be able to stay fit at the moment so makes sense to share the load. I'm worried about our fullbacks tbh but no links so far?

Allen played pretty well the other night. If Henderson can finally get fit too, I think Lucas and Can should be able to rotate a bit more too.

Agree with that plan. I think Arsenal will be coming here looking to win since they want to win the title whereas Man Utd will come here looking not to lose since we're competing for 4th with them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well no one seems to be able to stay fit at the moment so makes sense to share the load. I'm worried about our fullbacks tbh but no links so far?

Allen played pretty well the other night. If Henderson can finally get fit too, I think Lucas and Can should be able to rotate a bit more too.

Agree with that plan. I think Arsenal will be coming here looking to win since they want to win the title whereas Man Utd will come here looking not to lose since we're competing for 4th with them.
    Allen has impressed me every time he takes the field during 2015/16. Seems to be thriving with sporadic game time and without Rodgers' stewardship.

ReputationRep:
    Allen has impressed me every time he takes the field during 2015/16. Seems to be thriving with sporadic game time and without Rodgers' stewardship.
    I still expect Rodgers to try and loan/buy him at his next club
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I still expect Rodgers to try and loan/buy him at his next club
    Hope he gets into work soon, given that those rumours of a Qatar role were premature and incorrect. If Tottenham somehow lose Pochetinno, you imagine he'd be a good fit if the fans could buy into him.

ReputationRep:
    Game of Brobdingnagian proportions this evening guys. It's a must win.

Worried about it though since we're playing at home!

ReputationRep:
    Hope he gets into work soon, given that those rumours of a Qatar role were premature and incorrect. If Tottenham somehow lose Pochetinno, you imagine he'd be a good fit if the fans could buy into him.
    Not sure where he goes though. His ego is pretty big but I don't think his reputation has endeared him that much? As well as he did to finish 2nd, I think people attribute it to Suarez and he had a very patchy transfer record during his time here.

Not sure Spurs fans would accept him?

(Original post by SloppyMcfloppy)
    Game of Brobdingnagian proportions this evening guys. It's a must win.

Worried about it though since we're playing at home!
    Nah not the end of the world if we don't win - we're not competing for the title. The weekend game is bigger.. for the trophy that is 4th place.

ReputationRep:
    Few games coming up for me: Stoke and Exeter at Anfield in both cup competitions, and then West Ham if we advance past the latter.
    Same to all of these.

And Sunderland.

ReputationRep:
    Buzzing for tonight. Night away games in freezing temperatures are what I live for as a football fan tbh. Up the Arsenal.

EDIT : Wrong thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)
    Buzzing for tonight. Night away games in freezing temperatures are what I live for as a football fan tbh. Up the Arsenal.

EDIT : Wrong thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wasn't born into a football family, in my first night game (at 14/15) I turned up in a jumper and T shirt. In January. My throat has literally never been the same.

ReputationRep:
    How does a Lucas Can Milne Henderson Lallana Firmino front 6 even map out?

4-2-3-1? Would be abysmal.

ReputationRep:
    You think Caulker is going to be any better than Skrtel?

We can still sign Matip on a free in the summer. Considering our injury issues, we don't need Subotic currently who's just recovering from a serious injury.
    I genuinely do think Caulker could be better than Skrtel. Only over time since he's only 24. Having said that, he's only on loan....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamski2409)
    I genuinely do think Caulker could be better than Skrtel. Only over time since he's only 24. Having said that, he's only on loan....
    Reports that we're signing Matip on a free in the summer. I think it's assumed Caulker will only be short term unless he plays an absolute blinder.

(Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    How does a Lucas Can Milne Henderson Lallana Firmino front 6 even map out?

4-2-3-1? Would be abysmal.
    Firmino
    Lallana Henderson Milner
    Lucas Can

Milner and Lallana to track back on their fullbacks and then Henderson to press Flamini/Ramsey with Lucas/Can starving Ozil of space? Would mirror Arsenal's formation man for man too.

Or you go 4-3-3 which would allow Milner and Lallana to press higher and the midfield trio would be trying to cover horizontally rather than vertically?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Sakho, Moreno, Henderson, Milner, Can, Lallana, Ibe, Firmino

Subs: Ward, Caulker, Smith, Lucas, Allen, Teixeira, Benteke.

Caulker on the bench, as is Ward. No Bodgan.

ReputationRep:
    Ibe back, wow.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.