The Manchester United Thread XIX Watch

This discussion is closed.
WeOnlyLiveOnce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by trapking)
I honestly think Pep will struggle here but lets see if he lives up to his reputation....
With City's money and thier squad, its like hes taken the easy option again. Our league is mad competitive since the quality gap between the top sodes and mid table sides has decreased but with a blank cheque, Pep will be able to entice the very best players to come to City. I dunno, maybe its an overreaction but it is worrying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
WeOnlyLiveOnce
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by swirly)
WOLO is Warner Huntingdon from Legally Blonde
k im not serious and i do know how to have fun and im not a ****head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
With City's money and thier squad, its like hes taken the easy option again. Our league is mad competitive since the quality gap between the top sodes and mid table sides has decreased but with a blank cheque, Pep will be able to entice the very best players to come to City. I dunno, maybe its an overreaction but it is worrying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah the quality gap between the top teams and middle teams is now decreasing....

Look at Stoke City for example they are now giving the top teams all kinds of problems and even beating them....the signings they made Bojan, Xhaqiri, Anautovic, Affelay etc. have made them significantly better.

Look at Newcastle now, even though their in the relegation zone with the new signings they have made they can easily be a top 10 now....Saviet, Shelvey, Townsend, (Saido is rumoured to be going there as well and an Atletico madrid defender). Im not sure they can escape relegation because they obviously need time to find a good team balance with all these new players but one thing for sure is if they get relegated they will be coming back immediately.

Look at Tottenham, they are now getting more and more consistent but just need to work on not dropping points eariler in the season.

Look at Crystal Palace and West ham, their quality has significantly increased especially West Ham with the likes of Payet etc.

The teams that used to be lower table are now becoming mid table or better so the quality of those teams is indeed increasing. Whereas the top teams like Arsenal for example havent made any significant changes to their squad for years now which is why they will never win the league until they reinforce certain positions.

I do agree that Man City probably have the strongest team in the league! We now have quite a young team which is good IMO because we are developing talent
Dirtybit
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Whats up with this blank cheque thing
WeOnlyLiveOnce
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by trapking)
Yeah the quality gap between the top teams and middle teams is now decreasing....

Look at Stoke City for example they are now giving the top teams all kinds of problems and even beating them....the signings they made Bojan, Xhaqiri, Anautovic, Affelay etc. have made them significantly better.

Look at Newcastle now, even though their in the relegation zone with the new signings they have made they can easily be a top 10 now....Saviet, Shelvey, Townsend, (Saido is rumoured to be going there as well and an Atletico madrid defender). Im not sure they can escape relegation because they obviously need time to find a good team balance with all these new players but one thing for sure is if they get relegated they will be coming back immediately.

Look at Tottenham, they are now getting more and more consistent but just need to work on not dropping points eariler in the season.

Look at Crystal Palace and West ham, their quality has significantly increased especially West Ham with the likes of Payet etc.

The teams that used to be lower table are now becoming mid table or better so the quality of those teams is indeed increasing. Whereas the top teams like Arsenal for example havent made any significant changes to their squad for years now which is why they will never win the league until they reinforce certain positions.

I do agree that Man City probably have the strongest team in the league! We now have quite a young team which is good IMO because we are developing talent
Yeah we have a young team that could develop pretty well but there will always be the burden of winning trophies while they develop. It'll put pressure on them to succeed and may hinder their progression. We really need to reinforce our squad this summer and hopefully we appoint a good manager who has a long term and clear vision of how he wants us to play and how he'll shape the squad and be able to show progression. We really are in danger of falling further behind Europe's best.
SirAlexFerguson
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Pep is a good manager and it is amazing to see how City have grown from nothing to something so big (from a neutral point of view).

But honestly Pep has won the league with Barca and Bayern, which even Moyes could do, saying that even LVG has also done it. I disagree with those who say that just because they now have pep they are unbeatable. Once pep faced competition from Jose during the latter part of his Barca days he made a run for it and in Germany there is no competition at all. If we get Jose in and get the mind games started he will run again With LVG we are going no where.

I personally dislike how our board think we are too classy for Jose, the guy is a winner. That should be the only criteria. Can things really get worse from here? players will almost certainly choose City's pep over LVG's United so Jose is also important to pull players. Woodward needs to grow a pair and act rather than back a dying horse on a racecourse
Harvey.Specter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SirAlexFerguson)
Pep is a good manager and it is amazing to see how City have grown from nothing to something so big (from a neutral point of view).

But honestly Pep has won the league with Barca and Bayern, which even Moyes could do, saying that even LVG has also done it. I disagree with those who say that just because they now have pep they are unbeatable. Once pep faced competition from Jose during the latter part of his Barca days he made a run for it and in Germany there is no competition at all. If we get Jose in and get the mind games started he will run again With LVG we are going no where.

I personally dislike how our board think we are too classy for Jose, the guy is a winner. That should be the only criteria. Can things really get worse from here? players will almost certainly choose City's pep over LVG's United so Jose is also important to pull players. Woodward needs to grow a pair and act rather than back a dying horse on a racecourse
I find it funny how people discredit Pep. Now it's all about how he only takes on good teams, but if he'd chosen United everyone would be going crazy about how he's the GOAT.

As for he went running? Come off it, head to head he's still 7-5-3 against Mourinho, he became Barca's most successful coach in a matter of 4 seasons and royally ****ed us in the Champions League final twice. Jose showed how classless he could be during his Madrid days vs Barca.
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Harvey.Specter)
I find it funny how people discredit Pep. Now it's all about how he only takes on good teams, but if he'd chosen United everyone would be going crazy about how he's the GOAT.
That's just how fans are.

Notice how ever since Klopp came to Liverpool, people have been looking for excuses to criticise him? Not just united fans, rival fans in general. The same goes for Pep.

Let's be honest guys, it's jealousy. You have LVG who clearly wasn't prepared for English football, so I can only imagine the bitter taste you got seeing Klopp go to Liverpool and Pep on his way to City. It obviously hurts more based on the fact that both were linked frequently to the United job. Lulz.

Personally I'd love Mourinho to go to United because it would be a Battle Royale of world class managers....and Wenger.
Dirtybit
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Yeah United fans are quick to say Pep will fail just because he's going to City. They'd never say that if he came to United. If you have problem with the appointment just don't say anything.
SirAlexFerguson
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

As for he went running? Come off it, head to head he's still 7-5-3 against Mourinho, he became Barca's most successful coach in a matter of 4 seasons and royally ****ed us in the Champions League final twice. Jose showed how classless he could be during his Madrid days vs Barca.
I don't know about the others but I have always said that I would prefer Jose to Pep, I would find my old posts but I cba

I am not joking, I saw a program on SSN today and they were talking about how Pep left because he couldn't deal with the pressure Jose was putting on him - don't you find it strange that the season he lost the league he left? I never disputed however, that he was a great coach and he did a great job at both clubs, and beat us in two UCL finals (however if we parked the bus and played on the break with Ronaldo then things may be different)

Yeah Jose poking Tito was not the smartest thing to do and I don't really follow La Liga so closely so I don't know what went on but he made a mistake and got punished for it, that too in a El Classico during a brawl. I stand by my opinon that Jose > Pep The head to head doesn't mean as much to me because Jose was new to the league and RM were not stronger than Barca initially

Time will tell whether Pep is a success - i for one think he will be successful but not as much as people are thinking.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not liking where this is going, United with a worse squad, scrapping for CL footy in the Europa League, budgets being cut, young players ignored and quite possibly a new manager for his first ever managerial job.

City meanwhile, with a quality squad, financially loaded, in the CL, a pumping academy and now one of the best managers joining.

How times change, still wish him luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah we are in a bad period tbh. I hope Woodward has his **** together and has something planned both manager wise and good targets to sign in the summer....
KingKoala
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
That's just how fans are.

Notice how ever since Klopp came to Liverpool, people have been looking for excuses to criticise him? Not just united fans, rival fans in general. The same goes for Pep.

Let's be honest guys, it's jealousy. You have LVG who clearly wasn't prepared for English football, so I can only imagine the bitter taste you got seeing Klopp go to Liverpool and Pep on his way to City. It obviously hurts more based on the fact that both were linked frequently to the United job. Lulz.

Personally I'd love Mourinho to go to United because it would be a Battle Royale of world class managers....and Wenger.
Must be hard for Liverpool fans as well, I mean you must have thought the glory days were coming back when you appointed Klopp, you won't win anything whilst Pep is at City.
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Liverpool are such failures :lol:

#KloppTheFlipFlop
jam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Jesus United probably won't make top 4 this season but you'll spend your way out of it. Van Gaal will probably leave on his own accord and you'll have a decent manager available. Allegri/Conte for starters. Pochettino another possibility.
NathanW18
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Plenty of people made the point that Pep has only managed GOAT teams. It's not like United fans have only picked up on this since yesterday. City have a very good squad, but there is much better overall competition in England than he has faced so far. I don't think he will walk every competition.

Still, United need to get the next managerial appointment right. There needs to be a significant improvement next season.
IamJacksContempt
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SirAlexFerguson)
I don't know about the others but I have always said that I would prefer Jose to Pep, I would find my old posts but I cba

I am not joking, I saw a program on SSN today and they were talking about how Pep left because he couldn't deal with the pressure Jose was putting on him - don't you find it strange that the season he lost the league he left? I never disputed however, that he was a great coach and he did a great job at both clubs, and beat us in two UCL finals (however if we parked the bus and played on the break with Ronaldo then things may be different)

Yeah Jose poking Tito was not the smartest thing to do and I don't really follow La Liga so closely so I don't know what went on but he made a mistake and got punished for it, that too in a El Classico during a brawl. I stand by my opinon that Jose > Pep The head to head doesn't mean as much to me because Jose was new to the league and RM were not stronger than Barca initially

Time will tell whether Pep is a success - i for one think he will be successful but not as much as people are thinking.

I find it strange when people criticise someone like Pep for "running away" or not meeting the ridiculous expectations of winning another treble. Yet they believe Jose is better despite the fact he's been sacked twice...
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KingKoala)
Must be hard for Liverpool fans as well, I mean you must have thought the glory days were coming back when you appointed Klopp, you won't win anything whilst Pep is at City.
Yeah because it's fair to judge Klopp after less than half a year of management and bringing no major players in...

We can judge LVG and call him a fraud but only a fool would judge Klopp before Summer 2017.
Harvey.Specter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Tbh United should've been the ones with Klopp. He'd have been perfect for the situation we were in. Instead we've been stuck with the horror that is LvG and seen Klopp, Pep, Ancelotti all be available at some point and go to different clubs.

For me the best option now is Pochettino, but I don't even know if there's any chance we could get him. Tottenham look to be realistic top 4 challengers and he seems to be building something there. Not a fan of Jose in the slightest, but he might be the only option at this point unless we want to become Liverpool 2.0
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Tbh United should've been the ones with Klopp. He'd have been perfect for the situation we were in. Instead we've been stuck with the horror that is LvG and seen Klopp, Pep, Ancelotti all be available at some point and go to different clubs.

For me the best option now is Pochettino, but I don't even know if there's any chance we could get him. Tottenham look to be realistic top 4 challengers and he seems to be building something there. Not a fan of Jose in the slightest, but he might be the only option at this point unless we want to become Liverpool 2.0
Klopp stated he didnt take the united job because it simply came at the wrong time when he was still sorting out Dortmunds new season but honestly speaking he probably would have taken the united job if we had come to some sort of agreement with him.

Pochettino would be sick at United...I honestly think hes a very good long term minded manager who would fit perfectly with our philosophy. Not to mention his high pressing fast paced attacking football style!!! 100% would take him over Mourinho. People are blinded by the things he has won but he's been sacked twice not to mention Mourinhos style is very defensive.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (24)
32.43%
No I don't (35)
47.3%
I work during the holidays (15)
20.27%

Watched Threads