Music 2010 :) Watch

clarice_goff
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by clarinetplayer92)
Oh cool! I know a couple of people at Simon Langton as well actually. Is that a Canterbury Uni winds thing or something? Was going to go to that with a friend, but I'm not at home so I ca't

Yep I did get my first choice college, St Marys's incidentally :p: Which college did you apply for? I think nearly everyone who gets accepted by the department gets in, it's only if they've accidentally made too many offers that you don't as far as I know.

Nottingham and Durham are my top two atm, but it's hard because I've been to Nottingham and really loved it, but haven't gone up to Durham yet, so can't really make any decisions until I venture up North! :p:
ooh who do you know? yeah canterbury christ church uni wind orchestra, did it last year too. i remember having to climb up loads of stairs on a cliff or something in the rain!
well done getting your first choice, ive applied to trevelyan. i really hope i get in, my music teacher really wants me to go as well. she went to durham. ooh she used to teach in folkestone. mrs young? did you know her?
yeah i have some friends at nottingham, they love it too!
yeah durham is so so so far! like a 6 hour drive or something?!
clarinetplayer92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by clarice_goff)
ooh who do you know? yeah canterbury christ church uni wind orchestra, did it last year too. i remember having to climb up loads of stairs on a cliff or something in the rain!
well done getting your first choice, ive applied to trevelyan. i really hope i get in, my music teacher really wants me to go as well. she went to durham. ooh she used to teach in folkestone. mrs young? did you know her?
yeah i have some friends at nottingham, they love it too!
yeah durham is so so so far! like a 6 hour drive or something?!
I used to be best friends with Ellie Davies who started at the girl's school and is now Head Girl at the boy's school, also someone called Natasha Gradus who moved to the girl's school last year I think

Oh cool, is it any good? Should really have got involved in more stuff like that, but just don't have the time!

Thanks, aww, my Music teacher wants me to go to Durham as well I think, but sorry I don't know yours.

It's going to be a tough decision, thankfully still got lots of time to decide! Yep, at least 6 hours, but actually only 4 and a half on the high speed train from Ashford which isn't too bad!
Indeed.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by greenfinch)
Hey guys, has anyone heard from King's yet? I can't deal with all the waiting!
I haven't, but a few musos have in the KCL applicants thread, they're taking forever! I wish they'd hurry up..
clarice_goff
Report 9 years ago
I used to be best friends with Ellie Davies who started at the girl's school and is now Head Girl at the boy's school, also someone called Natasha Gradus who moved to the girl's school last year I think

Oh cool, is it any good? Should really have got involved in more stuff like that, but just don't have the time!

Thanks, aww, my Music teacher wants me to go to Durham as well I think, but sorry I don't know yours.

It's going to be a tough decision, thankfully still got lots of time to decide! Yep, at least 6 hours, but actually only 4 and a half on the high speed train from Ashford which isn't too bad!
Ellie!!! yeah used to be in a band with her until she went to the boys school..
yeah its good, we play music which is actually vaguely challenging which is always fun its run by my clarinet teacher

only 4 and half? thats alright actually! exciting! i want to go to uni now!!!
durham would be so cool! wearing robes and going to formals and stuff!
clarinetplayer92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ellie!!! yeah used to be in a band with her until she went to the boys school..
yeah its good, we play music which is actually vaguely challenging which is always fun its run by my clarinet teacher

only 4 and half? thats alright actually! exciting! i want to go to uni now!!!
durham would be so cool! wearing robes and going to formals and stuff!
Small world!! Sounds good to me, what's your teacher's name out of interest?

Yeah I know, I was pretty surprised too, woop for high speed trains! Yeah, I really like the thought of Durham too, but the distance is a bit off-putting, especially as none of my friends are going any where near that far! And I'm such a home person...Hmmm, tricky one!
clarice_goff
Report 9 years ago
Small world!! Sounds good to me, what's your teacher's name out of interest?

Yeah I know, I was pretty surprised too, woop for high speed trains! Yeah, I really like the thought of Durham too, but the distance is a bit off-putting, especially as none of my friends are going any where near that far! And I'm such a home person...Hmmm, tricky one!

i have grenville hancox. Though he is really busy so i get infrequent lessons, so recently i panicked and have got another clarinet teacher who gives me lessons every week, her name is carol bazden who teaches at kings. She is really good but really scary!

Yeah im a home person too, i dont really want to go so far away, its going to have to have a really amazing music department to convince me, if i get an offer of course. *sigh*

had the folkestone concert today. its so snowy there!!! youre very lucky!
clarinetplayer92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i have grenville hancox. Though he is really busy so i get infrequent lessons, so recently i panicked and have got another clarinet teacher who gives me lessons every week, her name is carol bazden who teaches at kings. She is really good but really scary!

Yeah im a home person too, i dont really want to go so far away, its going to have to have a really amazing music department to convince me, if i get an offer of course. *sigh*

had the folkestone concert today. its so snowy there!!! youre very lucky!
Fair enough then, sounds good, sometimes you need a scary person to keep you in check!

Aww I'm sure you will get an offer! Durham normally seem to take ages so I wouldn't worry!

Aww, I had a friend who went and she said it went well Yeah, we had loads!! At least a foot on Thursday, got two days off school, and there were drifts on top of this hill at least 4 foot deep! Crazy! Which is odd, cos it's usually way worse in Canterbury, but it seemed to stop about Ashford way this time.
clarice_goff
Report 9 years ago
Fair enough then, sounds good, sometimes you need a scary person to keep you in check!

Aww I'm sure you will get an offer! Durham normally seem to take ages so I wouldn't worry!

Aww, I had a friend who went and she said it went well Yeah, we had loads!! At least a foot on Thursday, got two days off school, and there were drifts on top of this hill at least 4 foot deep! Crazy! Which is odd, cos it's usually way worse in Canterbury, but it seemed to stop about Ashford way this time.
yeah she actually scares me so much. I have never heard her play yet, she just stands there listening to me play and takes apart every single note and she speaks really loudly. She makes me feel like how the hell did i do so well at grade 8!?! i must be crap...but i suppose its good for me. who do you have? done your grade 8?
wow! that sounds like good snow! we were off school too but langton is pathetic when it snows, they just send us home. i was visiting surrey uni a few days ago and there is no snow in the rest of kent until just before canterbury. its weird!
clarinetplayer92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeah she actually scares me so much. I have never heard her play yet, she just stands there listening to me play and takes apart every single note and she speaks really loudly. She makes me feel like how the hell did i do so well at grade 8!?! i must be crap...but i suppose its good for me. who do you have? done your grade 8?
wow! that sounds like good snow! we were off school too but langton is pathetic when it snows, they just send us home. i was visiting surrey uni a few days ago and there is no snow in the rest of kent until just before canterbury. its weird!
Just realised we are hi-jacking the thread, I will PM you
HarpingPopstar
Report 9 years ago
Hey guys!

So far I have three offers (RHUL, Cardiff, Southampton) - still waiting for Bristol and King's. Wish they'd hurry up - I gave my stuff in AGES ago! :eek3:

HP
greenfinch
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by HarpingPopstar)
Hey guys!

So far I have three offers (RHUL, Cardiff, Southampton) - still waiting for Bristol and King's. Wish they'd hurry up - I gave my stuff in AGES ago! :eek3:

HP
I know! I sent mine in in October and King's still haven't got back to me! What's your firm?
CDES
Report 9 years ago
Yay, all 5 Offers!
clarinetplayer92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CDES)
Yay, all 5 Offers!
Congrats
Delvin
Badges: 3
Report 9 years ago
woohoooo got a Birmingham offer !!=)
Indeed.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by CDES)
Yay, all 5 Offers!
(Original post by Delvin)
woohoooo got a Birmingham offer !!=)
Well done!
maybeshescrazy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Congratulations you guys! Ahh, Bristol, Bristol.

In other news though, I got invited to a choral scholarship audition at Royal Holloway! Good thing I actually worked at that second personal statement I had to write...
greenfinch
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by maybeshescrazy)
Congratulations you guys! Ahh, Bristol, Bristol.

In other news though, I got invited to a choral scholarship audition at Royal Holloway!
Good thing I actually worked at that second personal statement I had to write...
Yay me too Maybe I'll see you there? I'm scared though!! What are you singing?
maybeshescrazy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by greenfinch)
Yay me too Maybe I'll see you there? I'm scared though!! What are you singing?
What time do you have to be there? I've been told 10:30 but I don't really know what's going to happen. I'm not that worried - I don't expect to get it because it's really competitive and people take gap years to focus on it, and I think a lot of postgrads get them because they have more mature voices. I'll just wait and see what happens - in some ways it would make life easier if I didn't get it because if I did I wouldn't know how to choose between Royal Holloway and Durham.

I'm singing Come Unto Him from the Messiah, and Hymn to the Virgin by Rubbra. I hope they won't mind the Grade-8-ness of the latter one though - for my friend's audition at King's they told her not to sing Music for a While by Purcell because EVERYONE was! That wasn't my best in the exam though so it wasn't a problem. What about you?
greenfinch
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by maybeshescrazy)
What time do you have to be there? I've been told 10:30 but I don't really know what's going to happen. I'm not that worried - I don't expect to get it because it's really competitive and people take gap years to focus on it, and I think a lot of postgrads get them because they have more mature voices. I'll just wait and see what happens - in some ways it would make life easier if I didn't get it because if I did I wouldn't know how to choose between Royal Holloway and Durham.

I'm singing Come Unto Him from the Messiah, and Hymn to the Virgin by Rubbra. I hope they won't mind the Grade-8-ness of the latter one though - for my friend's audition at King's they told her not to sing Music for a While by Purcell because EVERYONE was! That wasn't my best in the exam though so it wasn't a problem. What about you?
I don't expect to get it either but the thing is I don't really want to go there and not be in that choir as otherwise I might as well just take a gap year and reapply to conservatoires. I mean, I really only want to do singing and I'm only really going to uni because I know I'm unlikely to get into conservatoire at the moment because my voice is so "immature" so I think I'd be really unhappy at rhul if I wasn't in that choir. Hmm

Oooh, I've sung that Messiah work! I'm not a big fan of it to be honest, no offense, mainly because it's very, very repetitive! I presume you're sop? I was actually debating about doing that one, but then thought it might not be such a good idea if I'm not a fan of it to begin with! I'm doing 'Pur dicesti o bocca bella' by Lotti and then 'Silent Noon' by Vaughan-Williams. I hope they don't mind about 'Silent Noon' being Grade 7 either Looks like I won't see you there though, mine's at 6.45...that means there's evidently a ridiculous amount of applicants which is more concerning! Eeep! It's not far away either...!
Craigh99
Report 9 years ago
Hi everyone
did anyone go the the city university open day yesterday??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise