Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics Society - Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I'm pleased to say I have watched those movies as well. :beard: Except the documentaries you listed.
    I am disappointed you appear to like Identity rather than Ultimatum though. :p:

Documentaries can be great, definitely worth giving a go if you have a few hours free. The Yes Men is a great one to start off with, as it's got a decent enough point to put across but also does some incredible mental stuff (such as posing as company representatives of Dow Chemical they go on BBC Worldwide News and apologise for the Bhopal disaster, pledging to clean it up [share prices went down $2Bn because of it]), it's fantastic to watch.

Oldboy 11:10pm (Film4) - watch it if you like good movies. :yy:

One of the best foreign movies ever made.

(Original post by Phalanges)
    I am disappointed you appear to like Identity rather than Ultimatum though. :p:

Documentaries can be great, definitely worth giving a go if you have a few hours free. The Yes Men is a great one to start off with, as it's got a decent enough point to put across but also does some incredible mental stuff (such as posing as company representatives of Dow Chemical they go on BBC Worldwide News and apologise for the Bhopal disaster, pledging to clean it up [share prices went down $2Bn because of it]), it's fantastic to watch.

Oh no, I put Identity as a note to stand for the whole trilogy but now I think about, I do prefer it. That is probably because it is most recent in my memory so an unfair analysis. :p:

The Yes Men it is. :yep: (Tomorrow).

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone seen The Girlfriend Experience? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    One of the best foreign movies ever made.
    I agree. It's utterly brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    With friends or alone?

Enjoy although don't set your expectations too high. Especially after the hype on this forum has taken to godly levels ...
    Friends.

It was good, really good. I didn't read any of the stuff said on tsr (or anywhere else for that matter), incase there were spoilers in it .

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, I put Identity as a note to stand for the whole trilogy but now I think about, I do prefer it. That is probably because it is most recent in my memory so an unfair analysis. :p:

The Yes Men it is. :yep: (Tomorrow).
    I think the films get better as the trilogy progresses. None of them are anything less than exemplary, but I feel Greengrass is more confident in the style than Liman and you can see that come through in the later films. Also the first one had by far the weakest story - the first time I watched it, I had no clue what was going on when Bourne went to the guy's house in Germany (I think?). But the embassy scene is something special in the first one to make up for these minor flaws. :coma:

If you're going to watch the Yes Men, the sequel (The Yes Men Fix the World) is much better so it might be an idea to go with that one instead.

(Original post by unknownking321)
    Has anyone seen The Girlfriend Experience? :holmes:
    Is that the one with Sasha Grey? I watched it a little while ago on a date. I don't remember much, but I think it was pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    My four favourite films are probably Reservoir Dogs (it always perplexes me when people say Pulp Fiction is better)
    This. Reservoir Dogs seems a bit like a try-out for Pulp Fiction, but the latter isn't quite as good imo. The parallels are there in the dialogue and in the characters and general feel, but Pulp Fiction doesn't pull it off quite as well. Not enough plot to hold it all together. Less satisfying. Not that it's bad, just not as cool as Reservoir Dogs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by common_person)
    Not enough plot to hold it all together.
    Precisely. QT is a master at dialogue and individual scenes, but he's absolutely terrible at the overall plot of a film and consequently his films just come across as a series of world-class scenes threaded together and left looking a bit like a best-of compilation rather than the finished article. Inglourious Basterds highlighted this perfectly I think - it has probably the two best scenes QT has ever crafted (the bar scene and the opening are wonderful) but as a whole it's just trash.

Reservoir Dogs is the only film QT has made which is as good when viewed as a whole as well as on a scene-by-scene basis. The best thing for QT would be for him to have a producer who really forces him to condense everything down into a tight, finished package again without allowing him his self-indulgent showboating. The problem is that he's far too big now for anyone to dare to do that.

ReputationRep:
    Precisely. QT is a master at dialogue and individual scenes, but he's absolutely terrible at the overall plot of a film and consequently his films just come across as a series of world-class scenes threaded together and left looking a bit like a best-of compilation rather than the finished article. Inglourious Basterds highlighted this perfectly I think - it has probably the two best scenes QT has ever crafted (the bar scene and the opening are wonderful) but as a whole it's just trash.

Reservoir Dogs is the only film QT has made which is as good when viewed as a whole as well as on a scene-by-scene basis. The best thing for QT would be for him to have a producer who really forces him to condense everything down into a tight, finished package again without allowing him his self-indulgent showboating. The problem is that he's far too big now for anyone to dare to do that.
    Jackie Brown suffers the same. I'm not sure what would have happened to Kill Bill if he'd given it a tighter plot and cut down on the indulgent swordplay masturbation. The whole film's built on visuals, so tbf the Kill Bills probably wouldn't be as distinctive, memorable or well-known if he'd made them into "better" films. We'll never know. As for Inglourious Basterds, well, that has many ups and downs. I really enjoyed the German bad guy, especially at the beginning, but as you say it was all a bit lukewarm poo when put together.

It's a shame his films aren't a bit better, because I really like some aspects of his style. Instantly recognisable, and not quite like any other director. Reservoir Dogs is the only one I'd be really happy to watch again at any time.

I'm pleased to say I have watched those movies as well. :beard: Except the documentaries you listed.

BTW I wasn't being sarcastic. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by common_person)
    Jackie Brown suffers the same. I'm not sure what would have happened to Kill Bill if he'd given it a tighter plot and cut down on the indulgent swordplay masturbation. The whole film's built on visuals, so tbf the Kill Bills probably wouldn't be as distinctive, memorable or well-known if he'd made them into "better" films. We'll never know. As for Inglourious Basterds, well, that has many ups and downs. I really enjoyed the German bad guy, especially at the beginning, but as you say it was all a bit lukewarm poo when put together.

It's a shame his films aren't a bit better, because I really like some aspects of his style. Instantly recognisable, and not quite like any other director. Reservoir Dogs is the only one I'd be really happy to watch again at any time.
    Yeah I don't think the argument really applies to Kill Bill, as it's not a typical QT film (the wonderful dialogue is practically non-existent).

I do love his films, I have to say. I don't think anyone can construct a fixed-set scene quite like him (the start of Reservoir Dogs is a perfect example of just how good he is) and his love of cinema is apparent in everything he does. While I do wish he could be a bit tighter and more story-driven (and less ******* god-awful cameos) I wouldn't really want that to come at the expense of his talent. I think he's just destined to go down as a flawed genius.

Watched 3 movies. Karate Kid, From Paris with love and Hot tub time machine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    Watched 3 movies. Karate Kid, From Paris with love and Hot tub time machine.
    How did you find Karate Kid? I'm not sure whether I should go watch that or not.

(Original post by SirRamAlot)
    How did you find Karate Kid? I'm not sure whether I should go watch that or not.

It was alright. Although there was nothing special about it really. Just the usual story you can imagine. Not really worth a trip to the cinema imo.

ReputationRep:
    It's amusing how you can work out what's been on telly recently just from how highly/frequently people recommend films.

ReputationRep:
    Not me. Films usually come on TV about a fortnight after I expend money, time and energy getting them

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone seen Accidents Happen? I've just finished watching it and I can probably say it's in my Top 5 favourite films ever. Some of the cinematography in it is beautiful. It's quite a sad film as it focuses a lot (almost entirely) around death but definitely has it's funny parts. I shed a tear towards the end.

I will be away for a couple of weeks so it's up to you guys to post in here actively and keep this society alive and well, active.

Goodbye.

ReputationRep:
    Should I watch The Godfather? Not sure if I can be bothered.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.