Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVC15)
    Oh come on! You can't possibly be serious! She is truly awful. She is so wooden and her expression rarely changes, there is no variation, her voice remains exactly the same regardless of the scene! There's nothing behind her performance whatsoever. She cannot act. She has no talent nor aptitude for it. Let her model by all means but just stop with the acting. I'll give her the first film. Only then did she portray Hermione.
    I am serious. It's my personal opinion. She's not the most brilliant actress in the whole world, but she's never been 'bad'. Nothing behind her perfomance? What kind of films have you been watching? No talent? Wow. Couldn't disagree more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    I am serious. It's my personal opinion. She's not the most brilliant actress in the whole world, but she's never been 'bad'. Nothing behind her perfomance? What kind of films have you been watching? No talent? Wow. Couldn't disagree more.
    Like I said I'll give her the first film. She actually played the role how Hermione was depicted in the book. Afterthat she lost anything she had of the character. There's rarely a moment that she doesn't look like she's going to burst into tears or fly of the handly. She simply isn'tconvining. And i'm not limiting this to Harry Potter but everything "acting" role she's had. No she hasn't any talent. She's mediocore at best.

ReputationRep:
    I think guys like her so much because she is marketed a being 'down to earth', with the whole 'girl next door' kind of image...so its easier for them to envisage her as someone they could actually have a chance with, rather than the less bookish, more intimidating types.
    Shes pretty but I have to say I see a fair amount of girls as pretty/prettier than her wandering around campus on a daily basis...its amazing what fame and the right marketing can do to how people perceive you!

Saying that, I still would. Well, at least I would've before she chopped all her hair off...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVC15)
    Like I said I'll give her the first film. She actually played the role how Hermione was depicted in the book. Afterthat she lost anything she had of the character. There's rarely a moment that she doesn't look like she's going to burst into tears or fly of the handly. She simply isn'tconvining. And i'm not limiting this to Harry Potter but everything "acting" role she's had. No she hasn't any talent. She's mediocore at best.
    I don't agree. She's very much Hermione to me. And most of the characters in the films aren't identical with the ones in the book. Hardly a moment where she looks like she's going to cry or fly of the handle? I have no idea where you getting this from. You're exaggerating like crazy. But fine, if that's what you think then so be it. And she's only had one acting role besides HP. (and a small part in a new film)

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree. She's very much Hermione to me. And most of the characters in the films aren't identical with the ones in the book. Hardly a moment where she looks like she's going to cry or fly of the handle? I have no idea where you getting this from. You're exaggerating like crazy. But fine, if that's what you think then so be it. And she's only had one acting role besides HP. (and a small part in a new film)
    In the first one I thought she was perfect physically and her portrayal. Admittedly there is not question that in the later films she was made to look pretty and her hair was practically perfect which was out of her control and I feel that lost a huge element of the character for me. Yet I fail to be convinced by her, I feel she tries far to hard and it doesn't work. I genuinely think they could have cast someone better. And she's been in a couple of other things besides Harry Potter. I have to admit it makes a chance to actually have a discussion with someone on here without the conversation having to be childish! It's nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVC15)
    In the first one I thought she was perfect physically and her portrayal. Admittedly there is not question that in the later films she was made to look pretty and her hair was practically perfect which was out of her control and I feel that lost a huge element of the character for me. Yet I fail to be convinced by her, I feel she tries far to hard and it doesn't work. I genuinely think they could have cast someone better. And she's been in a couple of other things besides Harry Potter. I have to admit it makes a chance to actually have a discussion with someone on here without the conversation having to be childish! It's nice!
    Her hair ruined things for you? Goodness gracious. Has Dan's blue eyes and brown and not very wild hair ruined Harry as well? .. That's quite book purist-ish.
    In the books Hermione grew into her looks as well. It never says she's 'ugly.' And she manages to interest Krum and Cormac etc. Yes, her hair isn't like it's in the book. So what. Most don't look like the characters in the books. And Emma is naturally pretty, she can't help that. Of course they'll make her look nice etc . It's Hollywood, but they hardly slab a ton of make-up on her face.

No. Only Harry Potter, Ballet Shoes, and a new small part in "My Week with Marilyn" which hasn't been released yet. And she voiced the Princess in "The Tale of Despereaux, but that's it. But if you think she sucks, then I guess there isn't any more to say about that. And like mentioned, I couldn't disagree more. Emma has never been bad, though I'd say her weakest film is 'Goblet of Fire'. But she really impressed me in Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows.

Now, if we're going to talk about bad actresses in Harry Potter. I would start with Bonnie Wright aka Ginny.

ReputationRep:
    Her hair ruined things for you? Goodness gracious. Has Dan's blue eyes and brown and not very wild hair ruined Harry as well? .. That's quite book purist-ish.
    In the books Hermione grew into her looks as well. It never says she's 'ugly.' And she manages to interest Krum and Cormac etc. Yes, her hair isn't like it's in the book. So what. Most don't look like the characters in the books. And Emma is naturally pretty, she can't help that. Of course they'll make her look nice etc . It's Hollywood, but they hardly slab a ton of make-up on her face.

No. Only Harry Potter, Ballet Shoes, and a new small part in "My Week with Marilyn" which hasn't been released yet. And she voiced the Princess in "The Tale of Despereaux, but that's it. But if you think she sucks, then I guess there isn't any more to say about that. And like mentioned, I couldn't disagree more.

Now, if we're going to talk about bad actresses in Harry Potter. I would start with Bonnie Wright aka Ginny.
    Now you're just being picky. It added to the character. She wasn't suppose to be all pruined and proper. I never once said that she was suppose to be ugly and I did say that it was out of her control. I don't expect her to look like a hag but if they're going to do a film adaption and keep it relatively truthful to the books, hair and make-up is one of the easiest things to do in comparison to the special effect required. I could go on and say EVERY little thing that they failed to show in the films but that would be absurd and I respect that it's impossible to do. That being said, little things like that strike me as strange as to while they wouldn't do it?

No I don't rate Bonnie Wright particuarly highly either, however that is a relatively minor role in comparison to the key characters. I'm actually more concerned that the girl they cast has for the main female role has such a limited range, I don't feel as if she truly gets to grips with her character. Just my thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVC15)
    Now you're just being picky. It added to the character. She wasn't suppose to be all pruined and proper. I never once said that she was suppose to be ugly and I did say that it was out of her control. I don't expect her to look like a hag but if they're going to do a film adaption and keep it relatively truthful to the books, hair and make-up is one of the easiest things to do in comparison to the special effect required. I could go on and say EVERY little thing that they failed to show in the films but that would be absurd and I respect that it's impossible to do. That being said, little things like that strike me as strange as to while they wouldn't do it?

No I don't rate Bonnie Wright particuarly highly either, however that is a relatively minor role in comparison to the key characters. I'm actually more concerned that the girl they cast has for the main female role has such a limited range, I don't feel as if she truly gets to grips with her character. Just my thoughts.
    I'm not picky. But the fact that some people still complain that her hair isn't bushy enough, is quite absurd. It seemed like you were complaining she was too 'pretty'. Well I think she's good and has talent. Not much more to say on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVC15)
    Oh come on! You can't possibly be serious! She is truly awful. She is so wooden and her expression rarely changes, there is no variation, her voice remains exactly the same regardless of the scene! There's nothing behind her performance whatsoever. She cannot act. She has no talent nor aptitude for it. Let her model by all means but just stop with the acting. I'll give her the first film. Only then did she portray Hermione.

Cool story...but she's the one earning millions of pounds so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabbycat_Almighty)
    I think guys like her so much because she is marketed a being 'down to earth', with the whole 'girl next door' kind of image...so its easier for them to envisage her as someone they could actually have a chance with, rather than the less bookish, more intimidating types.
    Shes pretty but I have to say I see a fair amount of girls as pretty/prettier than her wandering around campus on a daily basis...its amazing what fame and the right marketing can do to how people perceive you!

Saying that, I still would. Well, at least I would've before she chopped all her hair off...
    wow I totally agree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    I fail to see the fascination. Yes, she's smart but stunning? That's kinda pushing it.
    People say that she's 'so beautiful' and I don't see it. She's an average looking girl, her features are plain (with or without long hair). I sincerely think that if she wasn't famous, I wouldn't look twice at her if she was walking down the street. Also she's an okay actress, nothing special, she tends to move her eyebrows a lot (which I find a little strange lol). I can only really class Emma as a very lucky girl.

BTW: This really has nothing to do with jealously, it's just my opinion. You can neg all you want. :upyours:

Those who are calling me a 'jealous *****' are obviously being defensive because they can't accept that fact that someone had badmouthed their precious Emma . If anything I find it annoying that people talk about her as if she's the 2nd coming of Christ. Stop comparing her to overrated stars like Jordan or Cher, they're many stars out there who are naturally stunning, talented and intelligent but don't get half the recognition as Emma. What's more, i'm sure your sisters/cousins/friends are also lovely, pretty and smart but you don't put them on a pedestal.

What's funny is that some you guys talk about her as if you actually know her, laugh out loud. Yes, she is smart but that doesn't excuse the fact that she's not that great at acting; okay okay maybe I was a little harsh with the average looking bit, but she's certainly no stunner (even with all the fancy clothes and make-up).
    honestly you deserve more neg reps than pos reps

ReputationRep:
    I think she is pretty. Media loves that she is one of those teenage stars, über-rich but that she still hasn't become trash (goes to Brown for example). I think the media loves her more than most people do, it's easy to get the impression that she's an it-girl. She seems nice from interviews and all that. I don't mean to offend anyone, but the "general" view on English women (coming from someone who's not), is not superb, I mean in terms of lifestyle, fashion sense etc. And Emma seems...well, a little different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satisfactionatlast)
    honestly you deserve more neg reps than pos reps
    Well obviously people agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabbycat_Almighty)

There is a limit as to how pretty it is possible to be. I see girls on the street, in shops, in bars, in cars, all the time, they aren't models or movie stars. Why not? Because they aren't. It's a simple as that.

Good looks does not correlate directly with fame (fame as in, sexy fame). It is a one-way dial. There are loads of good looking, completely unfamous people. Seriously, this is news to you?

There are probably 10000 guys as good looking as Brad Pitt, and 10000 girls as good looking as Natalie Portman. And that's a lower bound. So what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Lollo*)
    I think she is pretty. Media loves that she is one of those teenage stars, über-rich but that she still hasn't become trash (goes to Brown for example). I think the media loves her more than most people do, it's easy to get the impression that she's an it-girl. She seems nice from interviews and all that. I don't mean to offend anyone, but the "general" view on English women (coming from someone who's not), is not superb, I mean in terms of lifestyle, fashion sense etc. And Emma seems...well, a little different.
    Agree

I'm finally getting some decent answers to my question

ReputationRep:
    Everything. Look at her.

She's miles ahead of anyone.

Her new hair cut makes her look less attractive mind.

Plus she can do magic so hopefully she can wave my wand and both our clothes drop off.

She is also really intelligent so I can have a decent conversation with her rather than be swamped with the daily gossip on how Jordan is so wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raiden10)
    There is a limit as to how pretty it is possible to be. I see girls on the street, in shops, in bars, in cars, all the time, they aren't models or movie stars. Why not? Because they aren't. It's a simple as that.

Good looks does not correlate directly with fame (fame as in, sexy fame). It is a one-way dial. There are loads of good looking, completely unfamous people. Seriously, this is news to you?

There are probably 10000 guys as good looking as Brad Pitt, and 10000 girls as good looking as Natalie Portman. And that's a lower bound. So what?

No, thats not news to me, hence why I made the point in my original post that I see hundreds of girls as prettier/prettier than her wandering around campus every day
    .......l2read.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    The girl has done well for herself but I do not think she looks that stunning. Her new short haircut is hideous!

ReputationRep:
    I think she's okay looking, but like the OP said, nothing special at all. I personally don't find her attractive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.