Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    England could still host a World Cup...

On SSN, World Soccer Magazine reporter suggested that atm Brazil are struggling to get going in their prep for 2014 and if that goes haywire then England, with many components of a WC hosting in place, could replace.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently one of the votes was from Geoff Thompson. So we pretty much got 1 vote. C'mon if we had got 6/7 and people had been complaining I would've said jog on but it's obvious that FIFA just **** themselves over exposure of corruption and decided to give us the finger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    The ignorance about Russia and Qatar is amazing on here, 'educated' folks.

Why are people so angry about Qatar anyway? It's not like any of the other 2022 bids were footballing nations. They'll be addressing the hot climate and other issues anyway. It's clear most of you haven't really read about the bids. :naughty:
    The hot weather will be dealt with inside the stadiums with the air conditioning, but what about outside? That heat, combined with alcohol, makes for some pretty unhealthy conditions in the vicinity of the stadium...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)

On SSN, World Soccer Magazine reporter suggested that atm Brazil are struggling to get going in their prep for 2014 and if that goes haywire then England, with many components of a WC hosting in place, could replace.
    Same was said about South Africa so don't get your hopes up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Addressing the hot climate, how so?

Has the Qatar FA got special magical powers to reduce the temperature and humidity to more manageable levels for the duration of the world cup event???

:cool:
    Yes: PLAY IN WINTER.

ReputationRep:
    Addressing the hot climate, how so?

Has the Qatar FA got special magical powers to reduce the temperature and humidity to more manageable levels for the duration of the world cup event???

:cool:
    Apparently so. :iiam: We'll find out soon.

Other rumours are that they want to push the World Cup to September. Queue pandemonium and backlash from the European nations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    Mexico have already hosted it twice. The other bids will just play the "it hasn't been hosted here" card
    I know but in terms of football legacy/nation. Mexico would win.

But because FIFA is a sucker for ,as you rightly put it, the 'it hasn't been hosted here' card and also because they like to change continents around, Indonesia or Malaysia should win it. I would even put my money on Malaysia because of their success in hosting one of the F1 Grand Prix.

ReputationRep:
    How the hell could England only have received two votes in a fair system? It makes Eurovision voting look balanced.

ReputationRep:

Judging on the voting today, it would be more likely for Spain/Portugal to step in if that were to happen. I suspect Brazil will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Real)
    Yes: PLAY IN WINTER.
    quote - qatarembassy.net

"According to its geographical location and climate, Qatar is classified as a hot subtropical desert; very hot and muggy between June and August and pleasant between November and February".

For the record, WCs are played between that June-August period.

"Very hot and muggy..."- ideal conditions for football then :rolleyes:

We'll be seeing alot of rubbishy football being played unfortunately, player fatigue, dehydration etc...

ReputationRep:
    It looks like 2 members voted for Belgium/Netherlands in the first round just to knock England out and then switched their votes to Russia in the second.

ReputationRep:
    What an absolute joke. Well done to Russia. But the fact we got 2 votes just reeks of conspiracy. Its an absolute farce.

No-one would dare mention a conspiracy. I mean two oil rich countries with hardly an ounce of footballing history between them.

ReputationRep:
    quote - qatarembassy.net

"According to its geographical location and climate, Qatar is classified as a hot subtropical desert; very hot and muggy between June and August and pleasant between November and February".

We'll be seeing alot of rubbishy football being played unfortunately, player fatigue, dehydration etc...
    You won't, well not any worse than the past few World Cups anyway: the stadiums will be equipped with air conditioning that will regulate conditions throughout (even pitchside).

lol in russia well all be watching people playing on this

• TSR Support Team
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      I don't know if this has been mentioned here earlier but Netherlands/Belgium received 4 votes in R1 to knock out England but only received 2 votes in R2.

Now why would you change your vote if the country you voted for previously is still left in the competition? Unless you were purposely trying to knock out another country...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Heyyouthere)
      Is that in Rio?
      Sorry, what does that have to do with anything?

1. The World Cup isn't just "in Rio", it's all over the country.
      2. There are places in probably every country that you wouldn't wave a purse around in. England included. I have been more scared to walk through Sheffield at night than where I live in Brazil.
      3. If you're stupid enough to go to the rougher Favelas in Rio de Janeiro and wave around you money, then it's your own idiocy that is to blame if you're robbed!

I just think it's a wide misconception about how terribly rough the country is. Sure, there are poor areas, as there are in almost every country in the world, but you don't HAVE to go there, and no; I don't live in Rio.

ReputationRep:

:lol:

England had TWO votes in round 1.

What the hell makes you think England would get it?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by notnek)
      I don't know if this has been mentioned here earlier but Netherlands/Belgium received 4 votes in R1 to knock out England but only received 2 votes in R2.

Now why would you change your vote if the country you voted for previously is still left in the competition? Unless you were purposely trying to knock out another country...
      Did the voters know the results after R1? If they did, it's not too much of a stretch to want to change your vote from a definite minority to deciding a close winner, hell it's probably what I'd do.

I'm not saying that this doesn't reek, but I don't think that is the most damning bit of evidence.

ReputationRep:
      quote - qatarembassy.net

Can't be any worse than South Africa :rolleyes:

Anyway Qatar have a bottomless pit of money, I'm sure they'll come up with something.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The Cornerstone)
      USA has a pretty good league. At least better than Qatar (do they even have a league?). But I think they didn't choose USA because they already had their turn.

I guess them calling the sport soccer wasn't a good idea lol.
      Yes Qatar do have a league. A lot of old professionals go there at the end of their career to pick up some more cash.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.