Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Really considering doing one, however I am worried about the funding as it looks like I may have to live further away from home (there are not many places doing my specific course in London, of all places). Is everyone eligible for a teaching bursary? Do they need to know your parents details?

ReputationRep:
    Bursary is subject linked based on demand rather than means linked. You are deemed to be "independent" at that stage anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidders)
    Now into my 3rd month of the secondary PGCE course and i can honestly say i have never looked forward to Xmas quite as much as i currently am! This has been the hardest few months i have ever experienced. Such a massive amount of work to be done all the time. Lesson plans still taking me hours and I'm never more than a day ahead of myself! Assignment due in 2 weeks and not even beyond the introduction. Getting home at 5pm every night due to the distance of my placement school and leaving at 7:20am every morning. Weekends written off and relationship with my partner suffering!

Anyone else feel this way too?

Also a little reminder to all those wanting to apply for next year; this is CERTAINLY not an option for you if you're doing it just to put off finding a job! HUGE step up from undergrad degree!! (i think the MA students are a little better prepared)

Rant over.
    do yu think a primary pgce would be less stressful? I am torn between secondary or primary... or do you think they will both be the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenren22)
    I am shortly going to be starting an upper primary PGCE course but I have reservations. The problem is, I don't have much confidence, and it is putting me off the course. I'm very nervous about the workload, and I'm especially nervous about delivering a good lesson and classroom management.

I don't want to make the conclusion that it isn't the career for me though, because I think it just a confidence thing. I have experience in school; the problem is I don't always enjoy being in school because I just don't feel comfortable. I feel very awkward around the staff; they are lovely people, but I think it's because I'm just a volunteer and that somehow makes me awkward. I do like working with the kids themselves but I don't always know how to act around them and I feel awkward for that reason also.

I'm hoping I will get more comfortable as I start my course but I know it will be intense and I'm afraid with not only organisation/time management AND my confidence to deal with, I'm just not going to be able to handle it.

I know that I'd really enjoy doing it if I just felt comfortable, because when I'm just observing I can imagine how great it would be to have my own class and to help them learn. I can imagine how good the job would be. But whether I can put myself in their shoes is a different matter. People around me are telling me I'd make a great teacher, it's just nerves getting in my way.

I've been bottling it up for a while and having read this thread I thought it would be wise to post it here as a lot of you will hopefully understand how I'm feeling and possibly offer some advice.
    i'm thinking about doing primary too. I was adament that i'd do secondary o i took an english lit degree, but hate it and feel like i should have done primary educationat my actual BA degree... some people have advised me to go down the route of being a TA instead of a pgce straight away. Did you know you wanted to be a teacher when you started your degree?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VogueRogue)
    do yu think a primary pgce would be less stressful? I am torn between secondary or primary... or do you think they will both be the same?
    They have their own stresses. With primary, you have the same kids, but a variety of subjects, so it can be difficult to teach something you haven't done for years! Secondary, you teach one subject (and maybe the same level of lessons multiple times a week), but you have different kids each day and generally the kids are more difficult to handle. Go for what you're interested in, as that will help a hell of a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VogueRogue)
    Did you know you wanted to be a teacher when you started your degree?
    No I didn't. I've always been interested in the prospect of teaching as I really enjoyed learning at school. I'd always had the thought of teaching geography at secondary, but then I started wondering about primary and the variety of material to teach, so I went for that. Truth is I had no idea what I wanted to do.

I was talking to my boyfriend last night about it and he said with most careers you'll never really know if it's for you until you dive straight in and give it a go; I've nothing to lose. The problem is I don't really enjoy volunteering or at least I don't have the confidence to ask to get more involved at school. I was in reception class the other day and I spent a whole morning tidying up which wasn't really fun. As soon as the teacher asked me if I wanted to read a story to them all I soon perked up and it gave me a confidence boost. I just wish I could keep that up!

The thing is, my uni course wasn't really that stressful until the last term, and this year I have just worked part time not really doing much else (go to school 2-3 times a month). I've never worked full time or had such a full time schedule so I'm bracing myself for it.

i could NEVER teach English tbh. i always looked at the trainee english teachers or new ones and thought how? just how can you plan a lesson around books same books year in year out
      good luck to you all though dont mean it in a derogatory way just saying my personal opinion.

ReputationRep:
      Its nearly over! I can sleep for more than 6 hours a night soon!!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by starchild)
      Its nearly over! I can sleep for more than 6 hours a night soon!!
      when are you finished?

I've got another 2 weeks of school but found out today that everything has gone fine, I have QTS and can officially call myself a teacher

(Original post by jenren22)
      I was talking to my boyfriend last night about it and he said with most careers you'll never really know if it's for you until you dive straight in and give it a go; I've nothing to lose. The problem is I don't really enjoy volunteering or at least I don't have the confidence to ask to get more involved at school. I was in reception class the other day and I spent a whole morning tidying up which wasn't really fun. As soon as the teacher asked me if I wanted to read a story to them all I soon perked up and it gave me a confidence boost. I just wish I could keep that up!
      I didn't realise how much I loved teaching until I fully got into school on the PGCE. Deep down I've always wanted to be a primary school teacher (as in at least since when I was in Year Two as I wrote about it) but I didn't know 100% that it was the right decision to do it right now in my life until I got into the classroom.

Perhaps the teacher doesn't really know what to do with you or know that you want to do more? I know that sounds silly but when I've had 1st year BEd (the undergraduate trainee teachers) in my class and parent helpers this year I've sometimes felt at a bit of a loss with what to do with them as I don't want to ask them to do something they're not comfortable with, as not all parents will want to take a small group activity, for example. Essentially on the PGCE you will be expected to do things and you'll be teaching from the first week with it gradually building up to you having the class full time so you get more confident and enjoy it more the more responsibility/freedom you have with the class. I always found it easier initially to be myself as a teacher when the class teacher wasn't in the room as then you feel like you're being watched even if they're doing something like sharpening pencils.... whereas when you're the real deal teacher, that's when you become more confident as you have to do it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by oxymoronic)
      I've got another 2 weeks of school but found out today that everything has gone fine, I have QTS and can officially call myself a teacher

I didn't realise how much I loved teaching until I fully got into school on the PGCE. Deep down I've always wanted to be a primary school teacher (as in at least since when I was in Year Two as I wrote about it) but I didn't know 100% that it was the right decision to do it right now in my life until I got into the classroom.

Perhaps the teacher doesn't really know what to do with you or know that you want to do more? I know that sounds silly but when I've had 1st year BEd (the undergraduate trainee teachers) in my class and parent helpers this year I've sometimes felt at a bit of a loss with what to do with them as I don't want to ask them to do something they're not comfortable with, as not all parents will want to take a small group activity, for example. Essentially on the PGCE you will be expected to do things and you'll be teaching from the first week with it gradually building up to you having the class full time so you get more confident and enjoy it more the more responsibility/freedom you have with the class. I always found it easier initially to be myself as a teacher when the class teacher wasn't in the room as then you feel like you're being watched even if they're doing something like sharpening pencils.... whereas when you're the real deal teacher, that's when you become more confident as you have to do it.
      Congrats, teacher
      The bold bit is really true. I only really came into my own as a teacher when I was left alone without the constant looming threat of observation.

ReputationRep:
      One week to go! One week to go! YAY

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by starchild)
      One week to go! One week to go! YAY
      Same for me!
      Have you had your final report yet? I'm a teeny bit anxious about mine since I have hardly had any feedback whatsoever from my mentor for the past 3 weeks...

ReputationRep:
      Do you all have jobs lined up?

I can't overstate the importance of being in a supportive school for your NQT. I have an amazing department and when i was an NQT there was tons of support there and my mentor (also my head of subject) had a lot of time for me. I know friends who i trained with that did not have the same and they found it very hard. I had a pretty tough time of it with some of my groups, but i had the back-up in place to help me through it.

ReputationRep:
      I havent got a job yet but History is tough at the moment. I have had my final meeting and I have passed! YAY

ReputationRep:
      I've finished!!! It's an amazing feeling

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by *River)
      I've finished!!! It's an amazing feeling
      Yay congrats! Have you got a job lined up?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Becca)
      Yay congrats! Have you got a job lined up?
      Yep - staying at my placement school

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by *River)
      Yep - staying at my placement school
      Fantastic. What class are you going to be teaching?

ReputationRep:
      Almost finished! Got my final report today, and only one day of teaching left
      Kind of feels like I should be celebrating already though, since I know my final grade (2!), but I've still got lessons to plan for tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hannydee)
      Almost finished! Got my final report today, and only one day of teaching left
      Kind of feels like I should be celebrating already though, since I know my final grade (2!), but I've still got lessons to plan for tomorrow!
      I felt like that last week when everything was final final and I knew I'd passed everything there was to pass and had QTS even though I still had 2 weeks left of school. The weekend last week honestly felt as though it was all over and we'd done... then I went back to school on Monday.

Well done to everyone finishing up

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.