Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HXL)
    I have a family, so we are going to rent a house somewhere in Leicester
    Awesome If you don't mind me asking, what age are you? A mature student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukey__b)
    Firmed for Biochemistry.

Any other 'mature' students in mid 20's 'firming'? Is there some sort of special clubhouse for us?
    I am a mature student in late 20's

ReputationRep:
    Firmed for Biochemistry.

Any other 'mature' students in mid 20's 'firming'? Is there some sort of special clubhouse for us?
    I just turned 25 and I'm studying an Access course. I firmed for Computer Science ages ago.

Just hoping to get the grades now (80% sure I will).

I applied to the various city living accommodation as I'm not sure I fancy the full on student 'experience' in oadby village with the 18 year olds!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigV)
    I just turned 25 and I'm studying an Access course. I firmed for Computer Science ages ago.

Just hoping to get the grades now (80% sure I will).

I applied to the various city living accommodation as I'm not sure I fancy the full on student 'experience' in oadby village with the 18 year olds!
    I'm on the Access course as well. Pretty sure I'm going to get the grades, I kind of have them all already. Stressing a bit because Chemistry doesnt seem very well planned - of the 4 modules we do (they dropped one off for this year) we still have 2 to complete and I am also opting to do the extra 5th one they dropped in my own time.

I've applied for Salisbury Houses in the city, all the other city living seem too pricey for the room choices - I really don't want to pay an extra £500 for a wash basin, I don't really see the advantage of having one in your room. I've aapplied for John Foster Hall in Oadby, purely because I've heard they're showers are really good.

I've asked to be accomodated with other older students, so hopefully I get Salisbury Houses.

Where have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HXL)
    I am a mature student in late 20's
    What course you taking?

You lving in Uni acommo or are you from the area?

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the Access course as well. Pretty sure I'm going to get the grades, I kind of have them all already. Stressing a bit because Chemistry doesnt seem very well planned - of the 4 modules we do (they dropped one off for this year) we still have 2 to complete and I am also opting to do the extra 5th one they dropped in my own time.

I've asked to be accomodated with other older students, so hopefully I get Salisbury Houses.

Where have you applied for?
    Things on my access course are getting a bit stressed now as well! Time is our biggest enemy I think. I have had to drop a couple of optional modules and I will now have to settle for getting the bare minimum 45 credits to pass (30 @ distinction needed).

I want an ensuite so I applied for Nixon and Opal Court. I applied for 2 room types at each site, only using 4/6 of my preferences; hopefully I will get one.

On my application form I stated that I was a mature student looking for a 'quiet' environment. I hope they will read that to mean I would prefer to live with other mature students, or at least not with total party animals.

It is not that I have anything against younger students (I will be doing my absolute best to mix & fit in), it is just that I do not really want a loud party atmosphere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigV)
    Things on my access course are getting a bit stressed now as well! Time is our biggest enemy I think. I have had to drop a couple of optional modules and I will now have to settle for getting the bare minimum 45 credits to pass (30 @ distinction needed).

I want an ensuite so I applied for Nixon and Opal Court. I applied for 2 room types at each site, only using 4/6 of my preferences; hopefully I will get one.

On my application form I stated that I was a mature student looking for a 'quiet' environment. I hope they will read that to mean I would prefer to live with other mature students, or at least not with total party animals.

It is not that I have anything against younger students (I will be doing my absolute best to mix & fit in), it is just that I do not really want a loud party atmosphere.
    It's 45 credits isn't it! I've been stressing that it's 60 for some reason. I was going to do an extra biology module as I've dropped the last 2 physics modules. I won't bother now, just need to make sure I get the 30 @ distinction.

I know what you mean with living quietly. I've done the partying every night thing already. Not that I wouldn't want to do it again, but my constitution can't handle the levels of alcohol involved.

I was very tempted to go for an ensuite at Nixon and Opal as well. I'm in a studio with a shared bathroom at the moment anyway, so figured I'd be able to handle that for another year or so.

I think we get out dipoma in early July, which is good as we will be able to submit our results before the majority of the students who were offered a conditional place. Hopefully this means we are more likely to get our preferred choices.

ReputationRep:
    It's 45 credits isn't it! I've been stressing that it's 60 for some reason. I was going to do an extra biology module as I've dropped the last 2 physics modules. I won't bother now, just need to make sure I get the 30 @ distinction.
    It is 45 @ level 3 required and 15 at level 2 - which obviously makes it 60 total.

I think we get a results certificate to give to the Uni after June 30th at my college.... but the actual diploma takes a week or two to come through I believe.

ReputationRep:
    I realise this thread is aimed at Undegrad students, but I will be going in Sept to do my Masters' degree. I am from Leicester as well, so any Qs about the area please feel free to get in touch

ReputationRep:
    I have firmed Leicester for Modern Languages (with a year in Europe) offer ABB

I am so excited!!! Fell in love with the place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMHD)
    I have firmed Leicester for Modern Languages (with a year in Europe) offer ABB

I am so excited!!! Fell in love with the place
    Awesome Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    Medical Physiology 2011! Woot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janet9)
    Medical Physiology 2011! Woot!
    cool, which accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    cool, which accommodation?
    Sadly, because I have insecure and overprotective parents, it daily commuting for me. At best, they say it's a punishment for not getting into medicine. Pfft!

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, because I have insecure and overprotective parents, it daily commuting for me. At best, they say it's a punishment for not getting into medicine. Pfft!
    ahh dear.

ReputationRep:
    How can they stop you from moving out and getting student finance to cover your expenses? If you really wanted to go to student accomodation then you would have applied...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goerigi)
    How can they stop you from moving out and getting student finance to cover your expenses? If you really wanted to go to student accomodation then you would have applied...
    Depends on the OPs situation surely? She might only be getting the minimum student loan with no grant and therefore no bursary either. The basic student loan probably wouldn't cover the accommodation costs unless they were lucky? enough to get one of the cheapest room types.

Then there are living costs....... of course finding a job is possible, but that does depend a bit on the course and you still need something to live off until a job can be found.

I can imagine how it would be very difficult to live away from home without parental backing/support. (emotional as much as anything)

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm Lucy, I'm 18 and I've firmed Leicester for English in 2011!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goerigi)
    Well i'm going to be 'coping' without any money from home. I am not eligible for any accomodation and living grants and i'm still going to have to manage, and that is the same for everyone I know...its kind of the norm (at least as far as I know). But also there are student loans for living anyway so that shouldnt have been a problem.

And also parental support at university? this isnt going to be primary school. It is the stepping stone to our own lives, and if we took the bridge (parental support), then when another hurdle in our lives comes along what are we going to do keep running over the bridge until it breaks? Kind of ridiculous.

But in this case she has let her parents make the decision. So nothing can be done about it.
    Wow. I need parental support to fund my degree? Hardly means I am in Primary school, it'd just be hard to earn enough income to live on seeing as I get no grants/loans due to my household income being high? I am planning on getting a part time job to help my mum out as much as possible...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lrs_17)
    Wow. I need parental support to fund my degree? Hardly means I am in Primary school, it'd just be hard to earn enough income to live on seeing as I get no grants/loans due to my household income being high? I am planning on getting a part time job to help my mum out as much as possible...
    Well said

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.