Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Zero. :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: This thread is absurd.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends what i ask for; as Im getting older now, i ususally just buy what i want though out the year or my parents buy things for me through out the year too. For Christmas this year I have no really asked for anything in particular I have got about 2 or 3 presents.

ReputationRep:
    Depends, they usually have a set amount of money they want to spend. So If I want something expensive, just that and a few little stocking things. If not it's loads of little things and then any money left over from that amount. I do tell them they don't have to buy me lots, but my mum always asks me to come up with more ideas. Doesn't help that my birthday is right next to christmas either.

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference between being spoilt, and being spoilt and not even knowing it. The OP is the latter.

ReputationRep:
    I usually get one main present like an ipod or a phone or something and then a couple of cd's, books and dvd's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Wouldn't you rather have the money than a couple of presents which you didn't want though? Can't go wrong with giving people money.

(Original post by d123)
    While £400 is a lot of money, and very generous, I do understand where you're coming from - I would always rather get presents than money, particularly from my parents. That's even more true now that I'm at uni - money would end up going on rent or food.

What I'm surprised at is the number of people who get presents from their mum and their dad separately - I'm assuming the majority of these have parents who aren't together? I suppose it just shows how different families have different traditions and ways of doing things though.

With that much, the money does come in handy, and I am in a way thankful for it and the uses it has over pointless presents. However, once you've done the 'oh what the heck, I'll just give her/him money in a card' for the birthdays of friends, you then learn how much thought someone else has put into your 'gift' when you just get money in return. Although perhaps its just more personally frustrating for me, as my parents don't pay much attention and our relationship isn't very close. Consequently, they don't know what I like, (as far as the basics of not even knowing my favourite colour ¬¬) and therefore fail to even attempt to surprise me with meaningful presents. Really what I'm saying is I agree when people say 'it's the thought that counts'. I now only see Birthdays/Christmas as another reminder of how little my parents know (and maybe care) about me, and I'm only 17 - I haven't even left the house yet aha. To d123, like your money goes on rent and food, mine goes towards art supplies for my a-level courses. Oh, and now you've mentioned it, it is pretty weird my mum and dad give me 'presents' separately - because they are still together.

ReputationRep:
    So i've been talking to a few people (teens like myself (19), and they say on average at Christmas they get like 10-12 gifts from the parents Which i'm a little shocked at, because I usually get between 30 and 40 (I thought this was normal) :confused:

So are they just not as spoilt, or is it about normal?

How many do you guys get? I'm curious now! It's not something I considered before.

Wow, who knew people could be so negative! :rolleyes:
    seriously? I got 3 presents for my birthday and usually get 1 expensive present (by which I mean £30 or something) and 3 small presents. Last year I got a laptop as joint brithday and christmas - I had to pay for half of it and my only other present was a selection box.

ReputationRep:
    from the parents about 5
    from "santa" 10 atleast.
    and some from the dog o.O
    ..i don't usually count.
    i'm 18.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I was just curious!
    My parents do have money... but they never give me anything. =/

Not even a hug...

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends gets a Pandora charm in her Advent calender everyday! I was so impressed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauriC)
    One of my friends gets a Pandora charm in her Advent calender everyday! I was so impressed!
    I'd rather have chocolate ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    :rofl: This thread is absurd.
    Tru dat.

I get more than some people on this thread, but I know I'm lucky to get what I do, and that my parents work hard to afford it. Now I'm a bit older and have some money of my own to spend, I try to get them each as much as I can afford so that they have some nice things too (this year I've managed to get them about £25 worth of presents each, through being clever with discounts etc). I feel bad now that my parents are probably spending about £200 on me!

What I like best is the 'family presents' that my mum buys and signs as if they were from Santa - it's usually a game or a DVD or something we can all enjoy together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    Surely it doesn't matter on the number? I'd be happy with one present if it was something I really wanted.

Doesn't Dudley in the first Harry Potter book get really upset because he gets one less present for his birthday than the year before and his mum tries to persuade him that it doesn't matter because he has bigger presents this year? But he still doesn't care.

This thread kind of reminds me of him.
    I wholeheartedly agree with your first sentence.

ReputationRep:
    1 to 2.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same as everyone else, one big present and then loads of little ones!
    I like it that way to be fair!

ReputationRep:
    I've bought my own presents this year and wrapped them purely for making the tree look good and having something to unwrap. My mum doesn't do wrapped presents.

ReputationRep:
    I actually got given my presents yesterday, not to open but as i'm not spending xmas with my family this year my boyfriend instead.
    I think there were just under 10 there, sad thing is I know what half of them are. I know there's one main, and the other things are little things I need.
    Still have presents to come off bf's family though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I got one amazing present, and I'd rather have this one thing I like than lots of things I MIGHT like.

ReputationRep:
    Well I dont usually get many. I got more this year from my parents though as its the first christmas I havent lived at home and my mums spoilt me abit haha.

This year I got 3 expensive presents (£10 - 30) each and about 10-15 little stocking fillers that cost less than £5 each (most of them about a pound haha) which were stuff like earrings, make up, sweets, socks that kind of things.

I don't expect lots of things from my parents at christmas I just enjoy the day for what it is (a time for family) and I like to buy presents for my parents that are filled with thought.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.