NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    i freaking knew it!
    :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    what did he do?
    Basically started galavanting after the interception and ran up to the eagles sideline waving bye bye.

and also, your 2-2 prediction wasnt bad, colts and saints out were shocks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I loved how Williams forgot to end the play after his interception so they were celebrating with the play still live :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaltyPiratePony)
    Basically started galavanting after the interception and ran up to the eagles sideline waving bye bye.

and also, your 2-2 prediction wasnt bad, colts and saints out were shocks
    I went 158-99 this year on picks which isn't too bad. but on the whole I'm bad at postseason.

Saints were shockers but I don't know if the jets winning was an upset per se. Sure they were dogs but you could have made a case for them winning for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I went 158-99 this year on picks which isn't too bad. but on the whole I'm bad at postseason.

Saints were shockers but I don't know if the jets winning was an upset per se. Sure they were dogs but you could have made a case for them winning for sure.
    That's a pretty good record :P I can't tell you how much i've enjoyed getting into NFL this December, it's sure boosted my win/loss streak on Madden NFL 11 knowing the basic tactics of football, such as runs on 1st down, wheras before, i just guessed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaltyPiratePony)
    That's a pretty good record :P I can't tell you how much i've enjoyed getting into NFL this December, it's sure boosted my win/loss streak on Madden NFL 11 knowing the basic tactics of football, such as runs on 1st down, wheras before, i just guessed
    Yeah same. I've been strongly into football for about 3 years now. I started supporting the Patriots during the 2006 AFC Championship game when we lost to the Colts. I didn't have much of a clue about it so I just picked the team with 'England' in it. That and Tom Brady looked pretty cool. So we jumped out to a huge lead, I felt good, then wham :/ Manning made the comeback. Hence why I hate Peyton Manning.

First copy of madden I had was madden 08 so you can try and understand how hard it is to start on that when the only play that works is hail mary. But over the years I've taught myself the ins and outs of coverage schemes, the tricks of play action and motion and how to read defenses. I'm a bit of an offensive coordinator (Of course all fans are better than the coaches).

Thing is, on Madden 11 (which my mate has because I sold my xbox over a year ago), I still rip my friend to pieces. He gets quite annoyed I think. We've played about 30 games and he hasn't beaten as far as I recall. Maybe once :/

I wanna get a 360 arcade and just pick up madden, just as a muse between revision and college work...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hah, so many British people must have got into American Football through Madden :p:. I think I started trying to learn some strategies in an attempt to beat my friend who did do hail marys on almost every play. Shouldn't work so often xD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    Hah, so many British people must have got into American Football through Madden :p:. I think I started trying to learn some strategies in an attempt to beat my friend who did do hail marys on almost every play. Shouldn't work so often xD.
    It's the best way :P You can play it casually, you don't have to wait up all hours of the night and the game will teach you as you play.

Hail marys don't work in madden 11 really. not if you have a decent secondary and are good at swatting. it's just timing really.

I played my mate recently, i was jets and he was colts. Playing as Revis on most of the defensive plays (linemen for the others) I limited reggie wayne to 2 catches for 17 yards :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hail Mary plays are the most fun on 08 to be fair, mainly because any QB in the league seemingly was able to throw 90+ yards without any issue. Not so much on 11.

Anyone play online? PS3 namely.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It's the best way :P You can play it casually, you don't have to wait up all hours of the night and the game will teach you as you play.

Hail marys don't work in madden 11 really. not if you have a decent secondary and are good at swatting. it's just timing really.

I played my mate recently, i was jets and he was colts. Playing as Revis on most of the defensive plays (linemen for the others) I limited reggie wayne to 2 catches for 17 yards :P
    Need to play 11 against people more, can't get anyone else interested enough to play it :p: (Though I suppose there's always online :beard:). I'm never quite sure who to actually play as on defensive plays. I normally end up as a linebacker just because it seems the only chance to actually do anything :p: (I used to try and block people running for the pass too but stopped that when the camera kept cutting me out of the picture :nothing:.

(Original post by RNBen)
    Hail Mary plays are the most fun on 08 to be fair, mainly because any QB in the league seemingly was able to throw 90+ yards without any issue. Not so much on 11.

Anyone play online? PS3 namely.
    I do. Not often and not well but I do :p:. I hate that they've made sprinting weirdly automatic now, and when I switch it to a button it barely seems to do anything. Keep getting chased down ridiculously easily by the defense :moon:.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Need to play 11 against people more, can't get anyone else interested enough to play it :p: (Though I suppose there's always online :beard:). I'm never quite sure who to actually play as on defensive plays. I normally end up as a linebacker just because it seems the only chance to actually do anything :p: (I used to try and block people running for the pass too but stopped that when the camera kept cutting me out of the picture :nothing:.

I do. Not often and not well but I do :p:. I hate that they've made sprinting weirdly automatic now, and when I switch it to a button it barely seems to do anything. Keep getting chased down ridiculously easily by the defense :moon:.
    Yeah, though half the time on 08 the sprint was the same speed as the jog, so I am glad they at least have implemented it.

On 08 I remember also that swatting would always be done in what seemed like slow motion.

ReputationRep:
    What i find best is playing at NT or DE (or DT if yor team plays a ****ty 3-4 defense :P). Its easy cuz u just push the right thumb stick loads and just sprint at the QB and tou do exactly the same thing to plug holes and hit the running back.

Try and take advantage of blitz DB's aswell. If you can run quickly and accurately you can run a DB at the QB very quickly and get a handful of sacks/forced throws.

Once they have thrown it just change to the nearest corner, run to the ball and swat. Simples. Plus player tackles are more likely to work than cpu tackles.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I wish I had a PS3 or an Xbox, I want to play Madden 11 so badly. I was pretty good at Madden. Started playing when I got interested in football, i.e. 5 and a half years ago. Took me a couple of months to get to the highest difficulty level and since then I was damn good. :ahee:

As for defense, I used to play with 4-3 but last time I played it I switched to 3-4 - worked better for me. Tbh it was more fun for me to sack or make interceptions than make big plays on offense.

ReputationRep:
    Madden 11 is actually so good, the fact that holes ACTUALLY appear in this game to run into is a major plus. other versions just got plugged 24/7 imo.

ReputationRep:
    IF my beloved Seahawks perform well, Hasselbeck plays like he did against the Saints and Tatupu is fit to play, then we have got a create chance to win the Super Bowl. I generally think we will skip past the Bears but the final is a different kettle of fish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McKenzie-)
    IF my beloved Seahawks perform well, Hasselbeck plays like he did against the Saints and Tatupu is fit to play, then we have got a create chance to win the Super Bowl. I generally think we will skip past the Bears but the final is a different kettle of fish.
    I don't believe you can win the superbowl.... or beat the bears.

Props for your optimism though...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'll see a TD as good as that in a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loves2spooge)
    I don't think I'll see a TD as good as that in a while.
    I going to find out whether the tuck rule should have been enforced.

It looked like a fumble to me but I amgoing to look up about the tuck rule because lots of people are complaining.

And welcome.

Who do you support? If any ofc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the tuck rule is rather vague as it stands but to me that was a TD.

And I support the Colts, but I am also a massive fan of Steven Jackson of the Rams.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by RNBen)
    Yeah, though half the time on 08 the sprint was the same speed as the jog, so I am glad they at least have implemented it.

On 08 I remember also that swatting would always be done in what seemed like slow motion.
    Madden on PS3 guys? I'll PM you my PSN if this is confirmed, get a game going

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.