Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about VG3? I have R2, chemistry and physics. I thought that having three subjects was compulsory in order to get a certificate. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stifa)
    Are you talking about VG3? I have R2, chemistry and physics. I thought that having three subjects was compulsory in order to get a certificate. :confused:
    Yes, and no, you need 90 "studiepoeng" over the three years of VGS. You can have 40 first year, 25 2nd and 3rd or 35 first year + 30 second + 25 third, for example. Just mentioned it in case someone would apply to UCL in one of those cases (as their application wouldn't be considered at all).

ReputationRep:
    When did you graduate? Pre or post reform?

By "studiepoeng", do you mean 45 hour units per week? I've had a total of 92 of those, because of R1 instead of 2P/2T.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jørgen)
    I think many unis would want 6.5 on IELTS, so maybe you should aim for that instead of 6? (can't imagine it being very hard to achieve though)

And just in case a Norwegian reads this forum in the future thinking about applying to UCL; You'll need to have had (at least) 3 subjects at 3rd grade level for them to consider you, so no point in wasting one of your choices on them unless you have that/plan to get it done (something to do with their university guidelines, so all of the 3rd grade level subjects won't have to be relevant for your application subject, lol).
    Yeah, I was accepted by UCL as I managed to get 6 in three subjects the final year. The subjects had nothing to do with the course though Birmingham required an overall of 6.. which is kinda impossible. I think it's unfair sometimes how the english uni require so high average. My certificate has 23 subjects and 5 exams, how are we supposed to get an overall of 6?? I don't really get it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BettyJ)
    Yeah, I was accepted by UCL as I managed to get 6 in three subjects the final year. The subjects had nothing to do with the course though Birmingham required an overall of 6.. which is kinda impossible. I think it's unfair sometimes how the english uni require so high average. My certificate has 23 subjects and 5 exams, how are we supposed to get an overall of 6?? I don't really get it...
    Yeah, when they require 6 overall they obviously have no idea how hard the 6's can be to get. They would obviously not consider the bonus points we get for science subjects etc., so you'd need to have 6 in every subject and exam over 3 years. I'm not sure if anyone's actually managed this (A-magasinet had an article like a year ago with outstanding certificates, but they had a 5 or two in them).

I'm guessing it's due to a lack of research on the universities' part. :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    This case is more recent:
    http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/trondh...cle1653873.ece

Birmingham's international office is just bloody thick. I emailed them regarding English proficiency requirements, and they sent me a second to useless premade bull**** that didn't answer squat.
    Late edit: I got more assistance later, and they aren't that thick! That was just me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stifa)
    When did you graduate? Pre or post reform?

By "studiepoeng", do you mean 45 hour units per week? I've had a total of 92 of those, because of R1 instead of 2P/2T.
    Last year, so post reform. Had you chosen Matte X or Tek-forsk in second grade (or other 3 hour replacement for 2T/P subject) you would get a number of "studiepoeng" divisible by 5. (I know not all schools give those options though, cause rather few students are interested.)

Edit:
    (Original post by stifa)
    This case is more recent:
    http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/trondh...cle1653873.ece

Birmingham's international office is just bloody thick. I emailed them regarding English proficiency requirements, and they sent me a second to useless premade bull**** that didn't answer squat.
    I see a 5 on the Bokmål exam

New edit; one on Aktivitetslære 1 and a 4 on Toppidrett 1 as well, and the rest of the certificate isn't visible
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.