Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRBC -- January '11 Watch

• View Poll Results: What book do you want TSR to read?
    24.44%
    The Book Thief
    17.78%
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes
    4.44%
    The Handmaid's Tale
    2.22%
    Heart of Darkness
    33.33%
    To The Lighthouse
    4.44%
    Villette
    2.22%
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    8.89%
    The Killing Jar
    0%
    The Pillowman
    2.22%

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! Only just saw this thread and I'm totally going to muscle in mid-flow, sorry

So what's the plan, are we holding off the discussion for a while?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Hiya! Only just saw this thread and I'm totally going to muscle in mid-flow, sorry

So what's the plan, are we holding off the discussion for a while?
    Don't worry, most people haven't even started reading it yet, so you haven't missed anything. From the sounds of it I think we're all waiting a few more weeks before we have a discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draconia_93)
    Don't worry, most people haven't even started reading it yet, so you haven't missed anything. From the sounds of it I think we're all waiting a few more weeks before we have a discussion.
    Yeah, I think that's how we're rollin'. Apparently there are some sort of examinations or tests going on at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potiron)
    Yeah, I think that's how we're rollin'. Apparently there are some sort of examinations or tests going on at the moment.
    :ahhhhh: Don't mention exams! Evil little things they are! Do you know when we're starting nominating books again? I thought it was sometime soon but...yeaah don't really see that happening.

ReputationRep:
    :ahhhhh: Don't mention exams! Evil little things they are! Do you know when we're starting nominating books again? I thought it was sometime soon but...yeaah don't really see that happening.
    Absolutely no idea whatsover

I only have one, two hour, exam this year, in the summer...I'm pretty sure I did a lot more work for my A levels. I'm bored out my skull.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely no idea whatsover

I only have one, two hour, exam this year, in the summer...I'm pretty sure I did a lot more work for my A levels. I'm bored out my skull.
    Lucky, lucky person you are! I've got two 3hr exams and another two and a half hour paper (which is split), but thankfully all the prelims are spread out, it's just May when my hand will die from the pain. I'll quite happily swap if you want!

ReputationRep:
    Lucky, lucky person you are! I've got two 3hr exams and another two and a half hour paper (which is split), but thankfully all the prelims are spread out, it's just May when my hand will die from the pain. I'll quite happily swap if you want!
    What are prelims?

Go for it, I'm thinking of taking up A level French (again!) in my spare time. And I've started playing the saxophone again.

Well, it depends...what subjects are your exams?

ReputationRep:
    What are prelims?

Go for it, I'm thinking of taking up A level French (again!) in my spare time. And I've started playing the saxophone again.

Well, it depends...what subjects are your exams?
    AH History, AH English and Higher Politics - go ahead if you want! It'll be an essay-filled stressfest for sure. Ooft, A level French? I didn't go past Standard Grade, couldn't stand it (but I think that was just our school teaching it:dry:). I'm hoping to maybe learn Italian sometime in the near future - not as a course though; the idea of learning a language seems quite fun.

ReputationRep:
    AH History, AH English and Higher Politics - go ahead if you want! It'll be an essay-filled stressfest for sure. Ooft, A level French? I didn't go past Standard Grade, couldn't stand it (but I think that was just our school teaching it:dry:). I'm hoping to maybe learn Italian sometime in the near future - not as a course though; the idea of learning a language seems quite fun.
    I did it for AS level, got a B overall but a D in the oral...I can't speak French, apparently. So let the funky music do the talking. I miss it now though, a couple of years on. I went on holiday to france about three years ago and it was awesome that I was able to make myself understood and to understand people (regardless of the oral grade) and I know that if I went back now I'd struggle, so I would quite like to study it again. I want to focus on passing this year cos if I do I can transfer to a far far better uni and I'll hate myself forever if I don't.

I don't really understand Scottish qualifications but it sounds hard think I'm glad I left when I was 4. When do you do/what are the levels? do you do a mix of AH and higehr stuff?

I'm so drunk

ReputationRep:
    I did it for AS level, got a B overall but a D in the oral...I can't speak French, apparently. So let the funky music do the talking. I miss it now though, a couple of years on. I went on holiday to france about three years ago and it was awesome that I was able to make myself understood and to understand people (regardless of the oral grade) and I know that if I went back now I'd struggle, so I would quite like to study it again. I want to focus on passing this year cos if I do I can transfer to a far far better uni and I'll hate myself forever if I don't.

I don't really understand Scottish qualifications but it sounds hard think I'm glad I left when I was 4. When do you do/what are the levels? do you do a mix of AH and higehr stuff?

I'm so drunk
    Aw cool - I'd love to be able to speak a language but I'm not that good at learning them, plus I don't have the patience.

Advanced Highers are (I think) about the equivalent of A levels or the first year of Scottish unis. We do them in the last year of school (our 6th year). I think Highers are AS level (or whatever is before A level). People applying for English unis take 3 AHs but the rest of us can take 1, 2, none, or a combo of AHs and Hs. It's a much easier process than how I'm explaining it.

ReputationRep:
    Aw cool - I'd love to be able to speak a language but I'm not that good at learning them, plus I don't have the patience.

Advanced Highers are (I think) about the equivalent of A levels or the first year of Scottish unis. We do them in the last year of school (our 6th year). I think Highers are AS level (or whatever is before A level). People applying for English unis take 3 AHs but the rest of us can take 1, 2, none, or a combo of AHs and Hs. It's a much easier process than how I'm explaining it.
    My only knowledge of the SCottish system is gleaned from my girlfriend's mum (but that's quite out of date) and what someone on the Law applicant's thread was saying about Durham's requirements being ridiculiosu, they wanted three As at AH. Someone else chipped in and said that was nearly equivalent to a first year at uni.

Where are you applying? amd what for?

I'd like to learn french again but i probably won't get round to it

Edit: ex-girlfriend's mum. FML.

ReputationRep:
    My only knowledge of the SCottish system is gleaned from my girlfriend's mum (but that's quite out of date) and what someone on the Law applicant's thread was saying about Durham's requirements being ridiculiosu, they wanted three As at AH. Someone else chipped in and said that was nearly equivalent to a first year at uni.

Where are you applying? amd what for?

I'd like to learn french again but i probably won't get round to it

Edit: ex-girlfriend's mum. FML.
    I think it's only the same as first year uni here (in Scotland, where it's four year degrees) so it's harder to get into English unis for us. I've applied for Aberdeen, Dundee, Stirling (twice ) and Strathclyde, for History and English (and also History, English and Education at Stirling). I'm planning on going to Stirling - and I've already got an unconditional to go there :dance:

What about yourself? What are you applying for/doing at uni?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's only the same as first year uni here (in Scotland, where it's four year degrees) so it's harder to get into English unis for us. I've applied for Aberdeen, Dundee, Stirling (twice ) and Strathclyde, for History and English (and also History, English and Education at Stirling). I'm planning on going to Stirling - and I've already got an unconditional to go there :dance:

What about yourself? What are you applying for/doing at uni?
    Currently I'm doing English, next year I'm changing unis and switching to Law. That's how I roll.

Ah yes, if I scroll up I can see all that in your sig. Which of their offers are you going to take then?

ReputationRep:
    Currently I'm doing English, next year I'm changing unis and switching to Law. That's how I roll.

Ah yes, if I scroll up I can see all that in your sig. Which of their offers are you going to take then?
    Ah cool, how are you finding English then? Is it really that bad at uni level?

I'm thinking - at the moment, though I doubt I'll change my mind - of firming Stirling, but I have to wait to see all the other offers. I'm hoping to get an offer for the Education course, but I'll just have to wait and see. I visited Stirling and loved it, so it's my first choice.

Where are you thinking of applying for Law?

ReputationRep:
    Ah cool, how are you finding English then? Is it really that bad at uni level?

I'm thinking - at the moment, though I doubt I'll change my mind - of firming Stirling, but I have to wait to see all the other offers. I'm hoping to get an offer for the Education course, but I'll just have to wait and see. I visited Stirling and loved it, so it's my first choice.

Where are you thinking of applying for Law?
    I have offers from Bristol, Birmingham and Reading and currently my favourite is Bristol. I'm visiting Reading again on Friday though. Still waiting on Warwick and Cardiff.

I'm not finding English very good at all, for a variety of reasons, some personal, some to do with the course, and many to do with the uni. The course has picked up a little this term I suppose. Vaguely back onto the topic of this thread, I am currently reading Jane Eyre :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I have offers from Bristol, Birmingham and Reading and currently my favourite is Bristol. I'm visiting Reading again on Friday though. Still waiting on Warwick and Cardiff.

I'm not finding English very good at all, for a variety of reasons, some personal, some to do with the course, and many to do with the uni. The course has picked up a little this term I suppose. Vaguely back onto the topic of this thread, I am currently reading Jane Eyre :cool:
    Sounds good - congrats on the offers! I'm hoping to go visiting unis again sometime soon too - although I doubt they'll let me do so 'til March.

I'm worried that English might become a bit boring when I study it at uni, but it's become much more interesting this year, so hopefully that'll continue. The course I'm interested in has no exams apparently - only essays - which sounds pretty good.

Strangely enough I started reading Jane Eyre a wee while ago. Didn't get very far, but I planning to go back and actually finish it soon. I've been reading waaay too many history books for my liking, but I might pick up a classic or something. Thinking maybe Pride and Prejudice? I want to see what all the hype is about.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good - congrats on the offers! I'm hoping to go visiting unis again sometime soon too - although I doubt they'll let me do so 'til March.

I'm worried that English might become a bit boring when I study it at uni, but it's become much more interesting this year, so hopefully that'll continue. The course I'm interested in has no exams apparently - only essays - which sounds pretty good.

Strangely enough I started reading Jane Eyre a wee while ago. Didn't get very far, but I planning to go back and actually finish it soon. I've been reading waaay too many history books for my liking, but I might pick up a classic or something. Thinking maybe Pride and Prejudice? I want to see what all the hype is about.
    I only really applied because I had a very inspiring English teacher who convinced me I was good at it, and at the time I didn't really know what else to do. I think you need a strong interest and motivation to do any degree, which I've never really had for English, and therefore my application was pretty poor. You'll love it and you'll have history too to spice it up a bit. What history books have you been reading? What's your favourite period of history?

I haven't read Pride & Prejudice, or seen any of the films. I haven't read many classics at all really.

ReputationRep:
    I only really applied because I had a very inspiring English teacher who convinced me I was good at it, and at the time I didn't really know what else to do. I think you need a strong interest and motivation to do any degree, which I've never really had for English, and therefore my application was pretty poor. You'll love it and you'll have history too to spice it up a bit. What history books have you been reading? What's your favourite period of history?

I haven't read Pride & Prejudice, or seen any of the films. I haven't read many classics at all really.
    I've been reading history books for my dissertation at the moment which is whether Hitler was a strong leader or a weak dictator. So mostly books on Nazis and the Third Reich, which I'm not really enjoying, stuff by Evans, Burleigh, Bullock etc (if you've studied that period you'll recognise the historians ). Loved history last year, especially studying the Russian revolution and the rise of the Bolsheviks, and Appeasement was really good. Other favourites include the Egyptians, Aztecs, the Italian Renaissance, the Spanish Civil War etc. I like medieval periods too, but don't really know that much about them. A really good book on history (but it's written like a novel) is Empires of the Sea, about a battle for the Mediterranean between Spain and Turkey. I'd recommend it. Wow, I sound like such a geek! Have you got any favourite periods of history?

The Picture of Dorian Gray is worth a read...if you like Oscar Wilde's style. I did the Phantom of the Opera for my personal study in English last year; don't really recommend it, worst choice of study ever. Good book but quite boring and complicated.

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading history books for my dissertation at the moment which is whether Hitler was a strong leader or a weak dictator. So mostly books on Nazis and the Third Reich, which I'm not really enjoying, stuff by Evans, Burleigh, Bullock etc (if you've studied that period you'll recognise the historians ). Loved history last year, especially studying the Russian revolution and the rise of the Bolsheviks, and Appeasement was really good. Other favourites include the Egyptians, Aztecs, the Italian Renaissance, the Spanish Civil War etc. I like medieval periods too, but don't really know that much about them. A really good book on history (but it's written like a novel) is Empires of the Sea, about a battle for the Mediterranean between Spain and Turkey. I'd recommend it. Wow, I sound like such a geek! Have you got any favourite periods of history?

The Picture of Dorian Gray is worth a read...if you like Oscar Wilde's style. I did the Phantom of the Opera for my personal study in English last year; don't really recommend it, worst choice of study ever. Good book but quite boring and complicated.
    Can't help but like a bit of Oscar. I have read Dorian Gray, it's also on the reading list for later on this term.

I don't really, I did the Korean War for my individual study coursework thing, but to be honest A2 history put me off altogether.

ReputationRep:
    Can't help but like a bit of Oscar. I have read Dorian Gray, it's also on the reading list for later on this term.

I don't really, I did the Korean War for my individual study coursework thing, but to be honest A2 history put me off altogether.
    Yeah, 'tis a good read, haven't seen the film though. He's got a great writing style, haven't read any of his other works.

I've never studied the Korean War, but I know the feeling of being put off the subject. I think I now have a hatred of modern German history, we've done it so much :mob:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.