Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR (not MEI) Core 3 - 19/01/2011 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    What was your mechanics mark? Is this M1?
    73 UMS. One of the worst days I have ever had. The thing which bothers me most is that, despite Cambridge knowing this fact, I was never given a chance to prove that it wasn't reflective of my ability at interview.

I'd like to say that I'm far better at mechanics than that mark may suggest. I was exclusively working on mechanics questions from the STEP papers to prove to myself that I could cope and it went very well as there were very few that I couldn't do (bar those that had a knowledge barrier). I also self taught M2 and M3 over the summer and became comfortable with what I had learnt fairly quickly. I had also been working on a EPQ which had involved some fairly heavy mechanics (Lagrangian, Hamiltonian and all that jazz).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    73 UMS. One of the worst days I have ever had. The thing which bothers me most is that, despite Cambridge knowing this fact, I was never given a chance to prove that it wasn't reflective of my ability at interview.

I'd like to say that I'm far better at mechanics than that mark may suggest. I was exclusively working on mechanics questions from the STEP papers to prove to myself that I could cope and it went very well as there were very few that I couldn't do (bar those that had a knowledge barrier). I also self taught M2 and M3 over the summer and became comfortable with what I had learnt fairly quickly. I had also been working on a EPQ which had involved some fairly heavy mechanics (Lagrangian, Hamiltonian and all that jazz).
    Yes, I think the 73 would have been the main reason why you ended up in the pool.

ReputationRep:
    X

Is Cambridge that much better than Imperial or Warwick?

Or do you just love Cambridge/have some good ideas for a gap year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeppasloth)
    Is Cambridge that much better than Imperial or Warwick?

Or do you just love Cambridge/have some good ideas for a gap year?
    That is the tough question. I certainly feel that Cambridge is possibly the only place I want to study maths. Perhaps it is a 'spur of the moment' think and I'm being very narrow minded but I'm seriously considering reapplication.

Did Cambridge not work out for you either? Where are you thinking of going now?

ReputationRep:
    No longer pooled, I've just been rejected. My interview went as well as it possibly could have gone, in my opinion. Answered everything they asked me in a reasonably good time scale with one or two prods throughout. In my second interview, there was a question in which we were only expected to do roughly one half of in the given time of half an hour but I completed it fully and so we were left discussing things other than the question such as my EPQ, for example.

I'm honoured that you think I'm that able although I've always felt as though I'm a bit overrated and, to be honest, this seems to have proven it. I guess I'm considering reapplication as it's where I wanted to be. That decision will wait until results day.

I think what's done it for me is my very poor mechanics mark.

I'm trying to figure out how to get feedback. Do you know who I would need to contact for this?
    Hey man, it's not the end of the world. At least you know that you tried your very best, so there's no regrets. Imperial is definitely amazing. If I were you, I wouldn't consider a gap year, could always get your masters at Cambridge .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glen_Nichols)
    Hey man, it's not the end of the world. At least you know that you tried your very best, so there's no regrets. Imperial is definitely amazing. If I were you, I wouldn't consider a gap year, could always get your masters at Cambridge .
    This is the problem though, because I worked hard on what interested me and didn't work hard enough on what counted i.e. A-Level maths. For all of my A-Level maths exams (other than C2) I didn't do more than a couple past papers for revision... I've learnt my lesson now but it's a bit too late now. I've let myself down, if I'm perfectly honest. It's no-one's fault but mine.

ReputationRep:
    what college did you sit this? because at my college we had a different test for C3 OCR 2011 paper.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.