The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211 resit - 16th May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Groat
I'd have to disagree. There were 10 marks on the spirometer and it's a incredibly small topic, so I'm predicting around 43/60 for an A. We'll have to wait and see in August who's right! :colone:

I think in every single exam paper they have a 'stretch and challenge' and a 'how science works' type question. In this exam paper, the spirometer was definitely the how science works question. There was no real stretch and challenge question, which we were lucky on.

As a result, as I said before, and as a few other people have said, 43-44 is probably the right figure for an A.
Reply 341
I didn't think this paper was particularly difficult in the sense of the things you had to know, however, I thought the questions were ridiculously ambiguous! Also, out of all the questions they possibly could have asked us, they make us draw ten squiggly lines to show our intellect whilst omitting everything about oxygen dissociation curves and the Bohr effect...classic OCR.
Reply 342
Original post by _Jasmine
I didn't think this paper was particularly difficult in the sense of the things you had to know, however, I thought the questions were ridiculously ambiguous! Also, out of all the questions they possibly could have asked us, they make us draw ten squiggly lines to show our intellect whilst omitting everything about oxygen dissociation curves and the Bohr effect...classic OCR.

Haha it sums them up so well, i guess they assume everyone will know the association curves having revised them to death myself :wink: but not everyone seems to know about spirometers. Looking back at a lot of the past papers there are lots of HSW questions such as potometer's etc. I guess it allows them to make sure you really know everything rather than if you just focus on the really hard stuff.

Looking at it i wish it was a bit harder, only 1 really hard question in there and i enjoyed the smug feeling that i knew 80% of the people in the same room as me were clueless :biggrin:. On a serious note, it's only worth 30% of the AS and replaced the foundation unit so they would have a few easier questions to reduce the amount of people that would fail completely if it was all really hard.
Reply 343
Original post by Solarity
Haha it sums them up so well, i guess they assume everyone will know the association curves having revised them to death myself :wink: but not everyone seems to know about spirometers. Looking back at a lot of the past papers there are lots of HSW questions such as potometer's etc. I guess it allows them to make sure you really know everything rather than if you just focus on the really hard stuff.

Looking at it i wish it was a bit harder, only 1 really hard question in there and i enjoyed the smug feeling that i knew 80% of the people in the same room as me were clueless :biggrin:. On a serious note, it's only worth 30% of the AS and replaced the foundation unit so they would have a few easier questions to reduce the amount of people that would fail completely if it was all really hard.

Hahaha, I remember telling my Dad in the car driving to school that spirometers were definitely going to come up, and they did :biggrin: Yeah I spent so long memorising the whole procedure for the potometer experiment because a question about it always seems to come up! WHAAAAAAT? Why do you wish it was harder? I just wish it was more clear so I didn't have to write like a full page on the gas exchange question out of fear that they were looking for specific key words and I hadn't used them :tongue:
Reply 344
Hahaha, I remember telling my Dad in the car driving to school that spirometers were definitely going to come up, and they did :biggrin: Yeah I spent so long memorising the whole procedure for the potometer experiment because a question about it always seems to come up! WHAAAAAAT? Why do you wish it was harder? I just wish it was more clear so I didn't have to write like a full page on the gas exchange question out of fear that they were looking for specific key words and I hadn't used them :tongue:

I don't mean so hard that every question is like that last one, i mean so they all aren't 1 mark definition questions.
I know this may sound madness it certainly does as i read this to myself but i guess i prefer something a little more taxing.
For example having learnt all the really hard stuff rather than a 2 mark question asking to sub 18 from 100 maybe describe what happens during anaphase.
I'm glad it was an easy exam but i think there won't be much seperation between candidates as they probably all know why nuclear envelopes have pores and what 100-18 is.
I'm glad it was an easy exam but i think there won't be much seperation between candidates as they probably all know why nuclear envelopes have pores and what 100-18 is.

Don't you mean what 100-82 is? - 18?
Reply 346
Original post by paulbridger
Don't you mean what 100-82 is? - 18?

Haha that's what i mean :rolleyes:
Haha, just checking :tongue:

Oh, and do you reckon they would accept "Nuclear envelopes have pores to allow genetic material to leave the nucleus when it is needed for protein synthesis"? .... I was a bit unsure as to whether they would accept just "gentic material" or whether they specifically wanted mRNA? :smile:
Reply 349
Was the insert really needed?, i didnt see it until the last minute. :/ clever i know.
Original post by Gazer65
Was the insert really needed?, i didnt see it until the last minute. :/ clever i know.

What was the insert? Liver cells right? I don't think it was that important, but it might have been useful to get an idea of what you were writing about.

Besides, the exam board likes to throw in pieces of information that aren't strictly necessary but will make you think more.
Reply 351
What was the insert? Liver cells right? I don't think it was that important, but it might have been useful to get an idea of what you were writing about.

Besides, the exam board likes to throw in pieces of information that aren't strictly necessary but will make you think more.

Okay thanks :smile: well i spose i managed to answer the questions without it so it couldnt have been that neccesary :P.
for the last question i wrote H- ions are actively transported out etc.....
who thinks this matters (i didn't put H+)
Reply 353
Oh, and do you reckon they would accept "Nuclear envelopes have pores to allow genetic material to leave the nucleus when it is needed for protein synthesis"? .... I was a bit unsure as to whether they would accept just "gentic material" or whether they specifically wanted mRNA? :smile:

Well i specifically mentioned mRNA to leaving for protein synthesis but i guess it will depend on how the mark scheme sees it, your not wrong. The only reason you wouldn't get the mark is the fact that you didn't specifically mention what genetic material would leave so it all depends on how harsh the mark scheme is.
just got onto tsr now, and i have to say, that was a RUBBISH exam.

100-82? errr......
oxygen dissocation? water potential? tissue fluid? cardiac control?
no! SPIROMETER!

just saying, if i've spent a year learning all that stuff, they should at least ask a little about it, for crying out loud.

...maybe this means F212 will be a much harder paper?
Original post by arcticwombats
for the last question i wrote H- ions are actively transported out etc.....
who thinks this matters (i didn't put H+)

You're half right, although it's very widely known that hydrogen can only form H+ ions, I'm pretty sure it's something you're expected to know ;] ... so you may lose a mark for that question, however with biology questions there's always a multitude of possible answers to a question, so you may have covered enough key points already, hence the H- thinhymajig will become irrelevant
Reply 356
Original post by Gazer65

I had exactly the same thoughts. Usually the paper says on the insert, but I finished the paper and no reference to it.

I had that momentary panic though at the last minute when I thought I may have missed the question with the insert on it, but luckily I hadn't. :colondollar:
Reply 357
Original post by Groat
I had exactly the same thoughts. Usually the paper says on the insert, but I finished the paper and no reference to it.

I had that momentary panic though at the last minute when I thought I may have missed the question with the insert on it, but luckily I hadn't. :colondollar:

:L yeah exactly the same, the moment we got told to stop writing i turned I went to shut the paper and the insert fell out and i realised i had missed it out and quickly saw which question it was for, but i couldnt see much use for it.
Original post by Groat

The reference to the insert was the very first line of the whole paper :tongue:

Agreed. Most people I've talked to haven't complained about the specific topics that cam up, but more the airy fairy questions :/

The lack of haemoglobin was so annoying :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending