Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baghee)
    Your point? ::yawn::
    Exposing your ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rusty33)
    Exposing your ignorance.
    Only your inability to argue a point without utilizing personal slurs. I'm so impressed

ReputationRep:
    Only your inability to argue a point without utilizing personal slurs. I'm so impressed
    Like I said, bring your A game next time.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, bring your A game next time.
    That's why our GDP is more than double than that of the next competitor, right?
    I'd say that your own statistics have just proven the above statement sort of superfluous. Twice so good as everyone else, eh? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Funny, you call out the notion of a European generalization on a thread that confronts the generalization of 275 million people.
    Excuse me? Where did *I* personally make a generalisation about any group of people? Find and quote the post in which I did that.

ReputationRep:
    I dislike americans. I dont think there is anything wrong about making generalisations about a large group of people. Generalisations are a labour saving device. It means you can find people you like more quickly and easily in a given situation, and maybe learn how to deal with people more effectively and quickly because you recognise similar traits and you remember how you saw someone else deal with that. yes there are always exceptions blah blah. Yes there are always people who dont fit the stereotype. Yes if you have time, or your in a situation where you have to be around them its best to try and get a long. But I think stereotyping gets a bad name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allymcb2)
    I dislike americans. I dont think there is anything wrong about making generalisations about a large group of people. Generalisations are a labour saving device. It means you can find people you like more quickly and easily in a given situation, and maybe learn how to deal with people more effectively and quickly because you recognise similar traits and you remember how you saw someone else deal with that. yes there are always exceptions blah blah. Yes there are always people who dont fit the stereotype. Yes if you have time, or your in a situation where you have to be around them its best to try and get a long. But I think stereotyping gets a bad name.
    Please tell me what a New Yorker and a Texan have in common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    Excuse me? Where did *I* personally make a generalisation about any group of people? Find and quote the post in which I did that.
    (Original post by BellaCat)

And which 'people in Europe'? It's a pretty large continent, you know. Perhaps you could be more specific.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but this post left me with the impression that you thought that it was unfair to generalize all of Europe into one category.

No one said that you singled a whole group out. I said I think it's funny that you're complaining about a person who generalizes Europe on a thread that is about the generalization of 275 million people. It's ironic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allymcb2)
    Is that a picture of the American product "Barbie" in your avatar picture?

And, surely your name isn't a play off of the American network show Ally McBeal?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that your own statistics have just proven the above statement sort of superfluous. Twice so good as everyone else, eh? :rolleyes:
    Hey, facts are facts. Don't like em? Go raise the Slovakian GDP; per capita.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, facts are facts. Don't like em? Go raise the Slovakian GDP; per capita.
    Tell me, do you do this to perpatuate the myth about the American stupidity and unfounded arrogance on purpose, or is it just a coincidence?:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Tell me, do you do this to perpatuate the myth about the American stupidity and unfounded arrogance on purpose, or is it just a coincidence?:cool:
    Stupidity like making claims about GDP per capita when I don't know what I'm talking about? Nah. Only when confronted by Slovakian ignorance.

...I suppose that was a tad redundant.

ReputationRep:
    Stupidity like making claims about GDP per capita when I don't know what I'm talking about?
    Precisely.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Please tell me what a New Yorker and a Texan have in common.
    Silly accents. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Silly accents. :p:
    Don't make me find the page about yinzer accents. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Don't make me find the page about yinzer accents. :p:
    Why would you making fun of yinzer accents bother someone without such an accent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Why would you making fun of yinzer accents bother someone without such an accent?
    How can we be sure you don't really have that accent. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Precisely.:rolleyes:
    You really should learn when you quit. And, your excessive use of the "rolleyes" smiley just adds to your obvious inability to debate with fact as opposed to your Slovakian idiocy.

ReputationRep:
    How can we be sure you don't really have that accent. :hmmm:
    Because my New Yorker grandmother would have come back from the dead to beat me over the head if I had that accent. :p:

ReputationRep:
    You really should learn when you quit. And, your excessive use of the "rolleyes" smiley just adds to your obvious inability to debate with fact as opposed to your Slovakian idiocy.
    Ease up, now. Idiocy is an international phenomenon, and let's not let her drag down the good name of Slovaks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.