Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013 watch

• View Poll Results: What mark do you think you got out of 70?
    0-20
    2.99%
    21-40
    5.97%
    41-50
    14.43%
    51-60
    39.80%
    61-70
    36.82%

ReputationRep:
    On the Jan 13 paper, once you've worked out the wavelength, how do you work out the path difference?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me what the graph means on page 204 in the Nelson Thornes book?

Which curve corresponds to what? There are 3 of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Can someone explain to me what the graph means on page 204 in the Nelson Thornes book?

Let me got my book and look

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)

This graph ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    On the Jan 13 paper, how do you work out the path difference after working out the wavelength?

ReputationRep:
    I've got this exam on the 5th and I havent even started revising for it yet Hopefully start revising for it today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainerised)
    how do you do jan 12 question 7b? The wave travels to the right.
    Describe how the vertical displacement of the knot varies over the next complete cycle
    Well you have to look at the scenario in sections. The first part of it would be when the knot moves to the maximum displacement, which is 1/4 way into the cycle of the progressive way.
    The next section would be to explain the fact it goes back to to the equilibrium position after 1/2 a cycle.
    You would then say the knot is at maximum displacement below the equilibrium displacement after 3/4 of the cycle and finall after a full cycle returns back to the equilibrium position.
    (The equilibrium position is the middle dotted line)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pilotluke1)
    on those papers which one is unit 2?
    Could not find for jan 2009. Check 2008.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eilish1903)
    This graph ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The middle peak refers the to the zero order beam which is the brightest and twice as big as the rest of the peaks, this is because it is the same as the incident beam of light therefore all of the incident light is displayed on the screen. The rest of the peaks are less intense as it had been diffracted more, but they all will have the same width but their peaks would decrease the further away from the zero order beam the less bright they will be.

ReputationRep:
    in the june 2012 paper, for question 5b) iv

can you say that the energy stored is proportional to the square of extension? and still get the mark

the answer only has, ''energy is proportional to extension''

but I thought that the energy stored equation can be written both as (1/2)Fx and (1/2)Kx^2

where F = force, and K = spring constant

ReputationRep:
    Please could some one help me. What are the three Newton's Laws of motion. I'm really confused; only thought there were two. Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone do 3e, the diagram don't really understand what you are meant to put?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Punjabi2Chainz)
    Please could some one help me. What are the three Newton's Laws of motion. I'm really confused; only thought there were two. Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1) object would stay at constant velocity if there are no resultant forces on it (all forces are in equilibrium)

2) force is proportional to mass*acceleration

3) for every force acting against an object, there will be an equal and opposite force

I think thats it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    1) object would stay at constant velocity if there are no resultant forces on it (all forces are in equilibrium)

3) for every force acting against an object, there will be an equal and opposite force

I think thats it
    Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For June 2009 question 4b what would the diagram look like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StalkeR47)
    At half period or 1/2 period, it returns to its original position. (At full period or 1 period, it still returns to its original position as well but the question only asks for the movement within the half period). Basically, a half period is a movement of a point within the half wavelength. The reason why it is max positive at 1/4 period is because........1/2 period=same position. 1/2 divided by 2 is 1/4=max position. Hope this make sense. If not, ask again.
    Thankyou xo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susanjan123)
    Thankyou xo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem! Hope you understood!

ReputationRep:
    For June 2009 question 4b what would the diagram look like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, I am just doing this past paper right now I have almost finished all of them. For this question, you will just have to draw a diagram that looks like this.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou xo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Anymore problems? Just ask me again.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    1) object would stay at constant velocity* if there are no resultant forces on it (all forces are in equilibrium)

I think thats it
    *or stationary

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 15, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.