Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

F334 (19/06/2013 9:00AM) - Salters Chemistry (Chemistry of Materials) Revision Thread Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find this paper?
    Very easy (~74 for an A)
    18.75%
    Easy (~71 for an A)
    22.92%
    Average (~65 for an A)
    43.75%
    Hard (~61 for an A)
    12.50%
    Very Hard (~58 for an A)
    2.08%

ReputationRep:
    for the 1.69 question, would 1.7 have been more "appropriate"? i wrote 1.69 but i feel like 1.7 would have made more sense...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aWildPidgey)
    Didn't it say:

The mechanism is wrong or something

Use the orders of reactions and equations to explain why
    nope it said why is it the correct mechanism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreayshawn)
    for the 1.69 question, would 1.7 have been more "appropriate"? i wrote 1.69 but i feel like 1.7 would have made more sense...
    Three significant figures, in line with all the other values given in the text. You got it right =D

Yes, 25.0 and 0.00500 are somehow 3 significant figures as all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richyp22)
    nope it said why is it the correct mechanism
    But h2o wasn't in the rate determining step even though it was in the rate equation

I thought that if it was in the rate equation it was in the rate determining step

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreayshawn)
    I wasn't sure about that as well... It gave the volume reading of NaOH to 4 sig figs and the rest to 3 sig figs... So I'm not too sure whether it would be 1.695 or 1.70..

ReputationRep:
    Someone get a copy of the exam!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Please say I wasn't the only person that forgot that Tg​ was the glassy transition state...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    Three significant figures, in line with all the other values given in the text. You got it right =D

Yes, 25.0 and 0.00500 are somehow 3 significant figures as all.
    But wasn't the volume of NaOH to 4 sig figs.. that's what made me a bit wary to giving it to 3sf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    I wasn't sure about that as well... It gave the volume reading of NaOH to 4 sig figs and the rest to 3 sig figs... So I'm not too sure whether it would be 1.695 or 1.70..
    The appropriate number is the lower number given in the question

so it was 1.69g

ReputationRep:
    But h2o wasn't in the rate determining step even though it was in the rate equation

I thought that if it was in the rate equation it was in the rate determining step
    Yh I know thats why I got super confused and changed my order of water from 2 to 0. As if water isn't in the slow step it can't be in the rate equation? Maybe it's something to do with the intermediates formed from water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwinLo)
    The question was why is it right and I think it was 1 mark?
    Yes, but 2 marks I think.

I wrote that the order of H2O was 2 and there was 2 moles of H2O present in one of the reactions and the order of the other one was 1 and there was 1 mole of it present.

I can't remember where in the revision guides/textbooks it's written about how order link in with moles but I read about it at like 3am.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I'm sure you'll pick up marks elsewhere

Exactly, no point worrying about what's done tbh. If anything it's time to celebrate that chemistry is all over!
    haha yes but im hopefully studying chemistry at uni come October, i love chemistry! :L but its definitely time to celebrate end of exams!!!

ReputationRep:
    The appropriate number is the lower number given in the question

so it was 1.69g
    Ah awesome, 1.69 it is then! One of the first times salters TSR agree on a calculation question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MTI)
    haha yes but im hopefully studying chemistry at uni come October, i love chemistry! :L but its definitely time to celebrate end of exams!!!
    Oh at least you'll be freed from the restrictions of salters chemistry!

After 2 painful years, celebration is well worth it

ReputationRep:
    But wasn't the volume of NaOH to 4 sig figs.. that's what made me a bit wary to giving it to 3sf
    Wait, it was? Completely did not even notice that. Miracle I even got the right answer!

Well, if this comes back as an A, this paper would have been a miracle in itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martynsteel)
    Please say I wasn't the only person that forgot that Tg​ was the glassy transition state...
    It was a one marker, so not too much loss.

ReputationRep:
    Let's do a markscheme

Everyone add to the list of QUESTIONS below

1a - i have no ******* idea, someone will have to remember

ReputationRep:
    Wait, it was? Completely did not even notice that. Miracle I even got the right answer!

Well, if this comes back as an A, this paper would have been a miracle in itself.
    I think it was, but as someone said, you do give it to the lowest sf, so 1.69 it is

:crossedf: hope we get that A

ReputationRep:
    Let's do a markscheme

Everyone add to the list of QUESTIONS below

1a - i have no ******* idea, someone will have to remember
    That was circle the ester link. I'm not too sure though - I circled the COO bond and nothing else. Anything after that, I cant remember a thing

ReputationRep:
    That was circle the ester link. I'm not too sure though - I circled the COO bond and nothing else. Anything after that, I cant remember a thing
    I did that. What do you guys put down for the conditions + reagents for alcohol to aldehyde?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.