Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me why in the January 2012 paper Question 1e IV you multiply by 1000 instead of dividing by 1000. :rolleyes:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/79340-q...-resources.pdf

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celestial*Robbie)
    Can someone explain to me why in the January 2012 paper Question 1e IV you multiply by 1000 instead of dividing by 1000. :rolleyes:

Thanks!!
    You are working out concentration in mol dm^-3 and you given volume in cm3

ReputationRep:

Thanks!!
    Not sure where you got that you have to multiply by 1000?

Remember concentration, is no. of moles/volume, the volume has to be in dm3, so you have to convert 20.0cm3 of sulfuric acid by dividing it by 1000.

ReputationRep:

Thanks!!
    I got confused on the same question and even after reading peoples responses I'm not sure why the mark scheme says that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thanks!!
    Because dividing iii by (20/1000) is the same as dividing iii by literally just 20, and then your answer to that times a thousand. That's the method(s) with all them type of questions, or is there something specific you don't understand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willszz1)
    Because dividing iii by (20/1000) is the same as dividing iii by literally just 20, and then your answer to that times a thousand. That's the method(s) with all them type of questions, or is there something specific you don't understand?

Ahhh, now I understand!!! I was thinking i had to divide by 20 then divide again by 1000. Thanks! Fully makes sense now!

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please make list (or link me to it if its been mentioned already) for the reagents and conditions needed for different reactions, i seem to be losing lots of marks on these questions in past papers.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YA BISH)
    Could someone please make list (or link me to it if its been mentioned already) for the reagents and conditions needed for different reactions, i seem to be losing lots of marks on these questions in past papers.
    Thanks
    If you find this could you message it to me or whatever you do on TSR thanks

ReputationRep:
    Could somebody explain what the formula of Sodium nitrate(III) is and how you got to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Reagents and conditions[1].pdf

Reagents and conditions list

I think the user 'super121' posted these originally on a similar thread. I'm not sure if these will come out properly, but here goes nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddyf)
    If you find this could you message it to me or whatever you do on TSR thanks
    It's up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booooomblastruin)
    Reagents and conditions[1].pdf

Reagents and conditions list

I think the user 'super121' posted these originally on a similar thread. I'm not sure if these will come out properly, but here goes nothing
    thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YA BISH)
    Thanks
    It's up now

ReputationRep:
    can anyone draw a dot and cross diagram of N20?

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome! Full credit should go to 'super121'. I was in the same position as you were until he posted this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Branny101)
    Could somebody explain what the formula of Sodium nitrate(III) is and how you got to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    NaNO2

This is because the Nitrate (III) has an overall charge of -1 and Na has a charge of +1.

(Na+)(NO2-) the charges cancel each other out so it becomes NaNO2.

Edit: It's NO2- and not NO3- because we're told that nitrogen has an oxidation state of +3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super121)
    NaNO2

This is because the Nitrate (III) has an overall charge of -1 and Na has a charge of +1.

Thaanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to know all the solubility rules? Which rules must we know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what does burn under reflux mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super121)
    NaNO2

See
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrate
    o isn't sodium nitrate NaNO3

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.