Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almost_instinct)
    I don't see it as a problem of Left or Right, but a problem of certain individuals who aren't capable of engaging in serious debate.

Between the slander, ad hominem, belittling of the opposition, obvious attempts at winding people up, quotes taken out of context, abounding lack of reading comprehension, sheer dogma, and the belligerence of some of these people, it's no wonder there's so much vitriol on both sides.

I visit this site every day and the reason I have relatively few posts to my name is because if I had to engage in a discussion with half of the people on this site my laptop would end up going through the window.

Seldom will you find a debate on this forum that takes an appropriate tone; most of it is constructed as an "I'm right, you're wrong, here's why" argument with the aim of attracting as many clicks/views as possible. Instead of having discussions where the merits on each side of the debate are discussed - perhaps enabling us to develop new insights on a variety of topics - we have petulant, braying herds of keyboard warriors wanting to bash the other side as much as possible.

Now I feel much better.
    If you haven't applied to be a moderator, you should do so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Ayn Rand appeared to believe it a moral crime to show concern for one's own children or to engage in any type of co-operative or altruistic action whatsoever. Says it all really. It's just a sad commentary on our current climate that this mad woman is regarded as saintly by loads of people.
    It was fitting that she spent her final years dependent upon Social Security.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt)
    Israel have their hands full demonising Palestinians and Iranians.
    amazing

ReputationRep:
    He's a thread starter. Twisted thread starter.
    My thread about welfare spending got a lot of debate!
    And public opinion agreed with me!

Though I got a lot of abuse from some lefties!
    About twisted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj1015)
    Its never long before the BNP comparison is made. Irony is that the BNP are more like Labour than anything else.
    That's the problem with the left- hypocrisy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    My thread about welfare spending got a lot of debate!
    And public opinion agreed with me!

Though I got a lot of abuse from some lefties!
    About twisted!
    Never heard of the Prodigy mate?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he quite gets the joke, or if he does, is trying clumsily to overcome it by saying unfunny things in response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almost_instinct)
    I don't see it as a problem of Left or Right, but a problem of certain individuals who aren't capable of engaging in serious debate.

Between the slander, ad hominem, belittling of the opposition, obvious attempts at winding people up, quotes taken out of context, abounding lack of reading comprehension, sheer dogma, and the belligerence of some of these people, it's no wonder there's so much vitriol on both sides.

I visit this site every day and the reason I have relatively few posts to my name is because if I had to engage in a discussion with half of the people on this site my laptop would end up going through the window.

Seldom will you find a debate on this forum that takes an appropriate tone; most of it is constructed as an "I'm right, you're wrong, here's why" argument with the aim of attracting as many clicks/views as possible. Instead of having discussions where the merits on each side of the debate are discussed - perhaps enabling us to develop new insights on a variety of topics - we have petulant, braying herds of keyboard warriors wanting to bash the other side as much as possible.

Now I feel much better.
    Agreed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3QzfrnsQkE

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring all the nonsense, I of course cite the Daily Mail either in a negative way - to show how dumb their stories are - or for entertainment value. That's utterly different to reposting their stories every day with a slightly different headline, claiming they mean something when they run today's immigrant-bashing/benefit-bashing non-story. It's just an avalanche of brainless drivel, frankly - and it's rendering the UK Politics forum utterly pointless and unusable.
    I think you are a troll. You have to be a troll. You used the Mail as a source to claim a story about Osborne wasn't sensationalist in this very topic. So essentially what you are saying is that it isn't drivel if it further validates your opinion (as we all know you are an Osborne-basher) and if it does indeed post an article or story that you agree with then it is one of the rare times it has an element of truth to it. Another clear sign of your hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    No!
    I looked it up on wiki and I don't get the reference.

Of course I assume you would be reluctant to compliment me so please enlighten me to your true meaning!

ReputationRep:
    Coming outside the UK, in my opinion the UKIP is a graet party especially Nigel Farage. He is th only who dares to point out some negative aspects of the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by player19)
    Coming outside the UK, in my opinion the UKIP is a graet party especially Nigel Farage. He is th only who dares to point out some negative aspects of the EU.
    Yeah, nobody mentioned them until Farage came along, right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackburn_Allen)
    I think you are a troll. You have to be a troll. You used the Mail as a source to claim a story about Osborne wasn't sensationalist in this very topic. So essentially what you are saying is that it isn't drivel if it further validates your opinion (as we all know you are an Osborne-basher) and if it does indeed post an article or story that you agree with then it is one of the rare times it has an element of truth to it. Another clear sign of your hypocrisy.
    I believe I started by quoting the Mirror on the Osborne disabled bay parking thread. Then people started saying it wasn't a story, so I quoted PA. Then people still said I was just imagining it and that it wasn't news, so I quoted the Telegraph and the Mail as well. If that's trolling, I'm a troll. But it isn't and I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    In the EU parliament, if I recall correct there was not many MEPs who were critical toward the EU as he is. Besides, the people of Europe who entered the EU before 1991 (Maastricht agreement) did not vote for a Union to which the European community has turned. Farage was the first who pointed this out this fact.

ReputationRep:
    I believe I started by quoting the Mirror on the Osborne disabled bay parking thread. Then people started saying it wasn't a story, so I quoted PA. Then people still said I was just imagining it and that it wasn't news, so I quoted the Telegraph and the Mail as well. If that's trolling, I'm a troll. But it isn't and I'm not.
    You tried to argue depriving someone of a parking space was more morally wrong than potentially killing someone through reckless driving as a result of being on your phone.
    So your potentially guilty of foolishness* as well as hypocrisy

*I reluctantly use such a strong word, however your point was so ludicrous that I feel fully justified in using that word.
    But I'm sure most people would rather potentially be denied a parking space than to be killed/injured by a driver using his phone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by player19)
    Can I just ask are you German or Finnish- I hear Eurosceptics are increasing in numbers in those countries that are footing the bill!

ReputationRep:
    Other than a few rebels in the Conservatives over Maastricht no governing party in the UK has demonstrated anything but unquestioning adherence to the EU. Since forming the UKIP in 1993 Farage and others have single-mindedly pursued the UK's exit. That they have been on the right side of public opinion all along is now coming to the fore, and those that keep shooting the messenger by smearing them are fudging a key ingredient in national democracy: the will of the people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    You tried to argue depriving someone of a parking space was more morally wrong than potentially killing someone through reckless driving as a result of being on your phone.
    So your potentially guilty of foolishness* as well as hypocrisy

*I reluctantly use such a strong word, however your point was so ludicrous that I feel fully justified in using that word.
    But I'm sure most people would rather potentially be denied a parking space than to be killed/injured by a driver using his phone!
    The actual question posed did not involve "potentially killing someone", it compared talking on mobiles whilst driving with hogging a disabled bay with your range rover when you are busy simultaneously attacking the incomes of disabled people.

Even the correspondent of the Mail seemed pretty disgusted by the latter point.

ReputationRep:
    On topic this thread was actually an enjoyable read. I think it highlights the approaches of the two "sides" (inasmuch as they are to be treated in that manner) rather well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    Other than a few rebels in the Conservatives over Maastricht no governing party in the UK has demonstrated anything but unquestioning adherence to the EU. Since forming the UKIP in 1993 Farage and others have single-mindedly pursued the UK's exit. That they have been on the right side of public opinion all along is now coming to the fore, and those that keep shooting the messenger by smearing them are fudging a key ingredient in national democracy: the will of the people.
    The major party policies, yes, but not voices against - have you forgotten the history of the Tory Party since John Major? They've been hopelessly divided over it.

The right side of public opinion bit is debatable - the right wing press have finally succeeded, against the backdrop of a major recession, in getting their agenda of blaming the EU for every problem to the forefront. It's cobblers, but it works for a slice of the population. It remains to be seen which way an actual referendum would go - it would depend on the extent to which truthful and accurate information would be transmitted to the public. The Tory press and their fellow travellers on the Tory right (Farage is just a breakaway right wing Tory in the final analysis) have deluged the public with lies about Europe for decades, so it's hardly surprising that some of it has stuck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.