OCR Gateway Chemistry C4C5C6 - 13/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by andersson
Haha, I mean like perfected! Not just skimmed over :tongue:

30 minutes then.
Reply 341
Original post by andersson
Haha, I mean like perfected! Not just skimmed over :tongue:

Do you mean taking notes or doing questions or what? I would have though you could revise the whole course in that time.
Please please please can someone explain to me the section on chlorine radicals!!
Original post by Puffin111
Please please please can someone explain to me the section on chlorine radicals!!

UV breaks CCl(2)Fl(2) into CClFl(2) and Cl ¤

Cl¤ + O(3) ---> ClO¤ + O(2)
ClO¤ + O(3) ---> 2O(2) + Cl¤

And it keeps breaking it yp
Original post by L'Evil Fish
UV breaks CCl(2)Fl(2) into CClFl(2) and Cl ¤

ClO¤ + O(3) ---> 2O(2) + Cl¤

And it keeps breaking it yp

My book is different it says

ClO¤ + ---> Cl¤ + O(2)

I assume both are correct? but wanted to check that one isn't definitely wrong
Original post by BP_Tranquility
True, but nobody's actually say the specimen exam and its initial purpose was to provide schools with an idea on how the exam would be set out...in our exam, they probably will take into account the different answers (although my chemistry teacher emailed OCR regarding this and they said it doesn't matter apparently)... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right thanks :P grrr OCR's specimens always annoy me >:frown: unluckily all my A-levels are going to be OCR....
Reply 346
Original post by NatashaG

ClO¤ + ---> Cl¤ + O(2)

either one is correct since the chlorine radical is left at the end of each reaction...so the chain reaction continues

Ryan
Reply 347
Original post by NatashaG

ClO¤ + ---> Cl¤ + O(2)

I'd go with L'Evil's because the chlorine oxide is more likely to react with ozone than an oxygen radical because the stratosphere is full of ozone.
Thanks! So if that was to come up as a 6 marker what kind of stuff would you be expected to write?
Reply 349
I've just done the specimen and I noticed that quite a few questions were taken from the old specification past papers..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 350
Does anyone know previous grade boundaries for C4,C5,C6 exam, because I cannot find them for previous years only for C1,C2,C3 ?
Original post by carns
Does anyone know previous grade boundaries for C4,C5,C6 exam, because I cannot find them for previous years only for C1,C2,C3 ?

I think that's because this is the first year of the new specification to do the C4 C5 C6 exam
Reply 352
How do we know which is the endothermic/exothermic direction of an equilibrium reaction?

Or does it just tell you?
Reply 353
Original post by cameron262
How do we know which is the endothermic/exothermic direction of an equilibrium reaction?

It tells you. Have a look at the 6 marker for C5 in the specimen paper.
Original post by cameron262

Exothermic is a bond making process.
Endothermic is bond breaking process.

2SO2 +O2 ->2SO3

The arrow is supposed to be reversible, so it's an equilibrium mixture. :smile:

The arrow that goes to the right is exothermic (since bonds are created as SO2 and O2 react, "joining" up these molecules to give SO3).

The arrow that would go to the left is endothermic (as the bonds in sulfur trioxide are broken, "splitting" the SO3 molecule to give back SO2 and SO3).

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 355
Original post by Red Fox
Do you mean taking notes or doing questions or what? I would have though you could revise the whole course in that time.

I mean doing the CGP question booklet too, I'm a third through it now.
Reply 356
If a six mark question came up on Chlorine radicals, there isn't exactly 6 things to write? There are literally 3 / 2 stages and 1 mark for good english = 4 marks tops :/
Original post by dazzer19
If a six mark question came up on Chlorine radicals, there isn't exactly 6 things to write? There are literally 3 / 2 stages and 1 mark for good english = 4 marks tops :/

You could talk about why CFCs were used in the first place, they take a long time to break down, write down the equations, how to ozone protects us from UV rays, and replacements (e.g. HFCs)... :tongue:
Reply 358
Original post by dazzer19

6 mark question are not about writing 6 things, if u look at mark schemes it tells stuff like full understanding, or writing an equation and discussing other things. Its about showing a detailed scientific overview of the topic. +decent spelling ect
how do you work out mass of salt/sodium and RDA/GDA percentage mass questions?! :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending