Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Lol, agree with you. What was the final possession stat? Funnily enough that the ESPN guys were parring fulham about it then they realised that you were doing **** all with the possession, something I noticed 20mins before they even mentioned it but hey you win the game if you have more possession you win the game...

Too be honest it's not that hard to face a team that completely sits back. Giroud needs to be provided with more crosses and long balls. Eventually one will fall to him. Guess you just played the possession game to get fulham tired.
    that seems to have been the plan.. but fulham didnt tire instead they really came out in the last 10/15 mins, and gave it everything...

your right though, giroud would thrive on more crosses.. its a shame the rest of the team cant cross

(though actually sagna was crossing ok yesterday..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    that seems to have been the plan.. but fulham didnt tire instead they really came out in the last 10/15 mins, and gave it everything...

your right though, giroud would thrive on more crosses.. its a shame the rest of the team cant cross

(though actually sagna was crossing ok yesterday..)
    Only guy who can cross on the team is podolski. If you had someone like navas giroud would have so much more goals. I said before however that giroud needs to add more to his game, especially since he doesn't have the pace to break through defensive lines despite him having great movement if he could get his finishing on point and learn a few tricks/bit of flair like drogba e.g. he'd be a great striker. Think more criticism needs to be aimed at the other players, walcott e.g. has been dire this second half of the season, podolski is still next to non-existent despite him having the best finishing in the team and numerous other examples of players not pulling their weight.

ReputationRep:
    Only guy who can cross on the team is podolski. If you had someone like navas giroud would have so much more goals. I said before however that giroud needs to add more to his game, especially since he doesn't have the pace to break through defensive lines despite him having great movement if he could get his finishing on point and learn a few tricks/bit of flair like drogba e.g. he'd be a great striker. Think more criticism needs to be aimed at the other players, walcott e.g. has been dire this second half of the season, podolski is still next to non-existent despite him having the best finishing in the team and numerous other examples of players not pulling their weight.

Agree about the Walcott point, on our team, when he played good was when he wanted a good contract, but after he signed it he just went well average, the same thing happened to players like Di Maria, and yes Podolski is one of best players, I haven't been watching footy lately but why is he being benched?

ReputationRep:
    You could question the players around him but I question why Wenger for the first time in 16 years has gone for a lumbering target man type when the rest of Europe seems to have moved away from them completely and he doesn't fit our system at all

ReputationRep:
    Just heard that Wilshere is having another ankle operation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    You could question the players around him but I question why Wenger for the first time in 16 years has gone for a lumbering target man type when the rest of Europe seems to have moved away from them completely and he doesn't fit our system at all
    Not really with the rest of europe. Maybe giroud could be a bit more dynamic like benzema/mandzukic but I still think the target man type can work if used correctly(drogba e.g.) giroud clearly isn't being used correctly but personally I think you need to supply him with more quality crosses. It was a big problem last season too personally and think you need to adapt your game for that anyway otherwise teams will just narrow, park bus and you'll be struggling to get past them. Maybe wenger should have gone for another type of forward together with giroud.

(Original post by goofymark13)
    Just heard that Wilshere is having another ankle operation
    Not surprised personally. Source? Obvious he was rushed back again. I'm guessing that wilshere really was out till the end of the season but to save face with the rumours that he was out till the end of the season he was rushed back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Wenger already said Giroud adds another dimension to arsenal's attack, which is a valid point but we should have got Andy Carroll on loan he would have been a way much better target man even though he doesn't track back. There is a fear factor surrounding Andy, he knows how to bully defences and his and off the ball ability and link up play is way much better than Giroud granted Giroud has better finishing and defensive capabilities
    A dimension we have little to no use for and isn't relevant to our system, if Wenger really believed that he might have played him vs Bayern rather than having our players try and hit Walcott with long balls for an hour

ReputationRep:
    According to Sunday Express we're in for draxler

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    x
    Didn't you want him a while ago

ReputationRep:
    Not really with the rest of europe. Maybe giroud could be a bit more dynamic like benzema/mandzukic but I still think the target man type can work if used correctly(drogba e.g.) giroud clearly isn't being used correctly but personally I think you need to supply him with more quality crosses. It was a big problem last season too personally and think you need to adapt your game for that anyway otherwise teams will just narrow, park bus and you'll be struggling to get past them. Maybe wenger should have gone for another type of forward together with giroud.

Not surprised personally. Source? Obvious he was rushed back again. I'm guessing that wilshere really was out till the end of the season but to save face with the rumours that he was out till the end of the season he was rushed back.
    Benzema is no more of a target man than RVP he is neither tall or hench and Mandzukic is built like Giroud but 12 times the footballer

ReputationRep:
    I've already defended Giroud on this thread and won't bother going for it again, I think he's just going to split the fans and it definitely does seem somewhat to me at the moment that more tend towards disliking him than support my opinions. I am slightly worried about his absence following that red card now, though (which was idiotic - yes, he slipped, but it was still idiotic).

Take Giroud out of the equation and the problems of the Arsenal attack will become highlighted or more pronounced. Walcott can go central, yes. It's unfortunately going to make playing us very predictable, though. With Walcott up front, teams can't play a high line (it's suicide) so they'll sit pretty deep, as Fulham did yesterday when they went to ten men. This means the sideways passing with Arsenal having good territory but little penetration could become more pronounced... with that said, I think Man Utd are unlikely to sit deep against us purely on the basis of us having pace up front, so we'll see.

I watched the Fulham game live, as I do every Arsenal game, and I wasn't comfortable. Even at 1-0 up at half time I felt nervous, and I'm not sure why, but the last ten minutes were hell. It wasn't as bad as at West Brom, but to be honest, considering the run we're on, and considering the points we've picked up from games where we deserved to get less or nothing, it's an unusual feeling...

Do we need to strengthen in the summer? Yes, undoubtedly. Champion's League football is ESSENTIAL for that to be successful. The best players in the world, the ones of real promise or real quality, are all playing in the Champion's League or are motivated by a move to it. This is part of why Tottenham have had a ball-ache attracting true quality despite spending ****loads for a number of years now. Their best players are mostly home-grown and the rest are guys who wanted to move to have a chance of CL but weren't quite good enough for the established top 4 (read Dempsey, Dembele, Adebayor). Although I think Holtby is class. We were a better team than Everton - they fought, they made the game physical, and they stopped us playing, but they can't play better football than us and so 0-0 was a great result for them. We are still a top4 team in terms of quality and need to keep this grit, and in some senses luck, and just secure CL next year then really make some changes in the summer window.

Short thought on Giroud btw: he's not RVP, but I think his link play is superb at times, he offers a physical presence, his goal return has been above expectations for a first season in the PL and, unlikely RVP, he's not the focal point of the team so the goals spread out across the front line a bit more. I like him. I'd still spend whatever it took to get Lewandowski to the stadium next year...

ReputationRep:
    Benzema is no more of a target man than RVP he is neither tall or hench and Mandzukic is built like Giroud but 12 times the footballer
    Bit in bold, basically repeated what I said. RVP can hold up the ball and bring others into play. Not necessarily a straight up target man but a complete forward.
    Mandzukic is built like giroud but is more dynamic and an all round player bar his finishing but it's still better than girouds. Not a straight up target man...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schichtoe)
    Short thought on Giroud btw: he's not RVP, but I think his link play is superb at times, he offers a physical presence, his goal return has been above expectations for a first season in the PL and, unlikely RVP, he's not the focal point of the team so the goals spread out across the front line a bit more. I like him. I'd still spend whatever it took to get Lewandowski to the stadium next year...
    His link up play is very hit and miss and even when he is linking up well hes never doing anything extraordinary is he and other times he can't trap a ball, he has some physical presence but gets bullied a lot and moans whenever he loses ariel 50-50s (he seems to be getting better lately though so maybe hes up to speed with it now) and his goals return is good but tbh I think if we had Kevin Doyle or Nick Bendtner up front for a season they'd score at a good clip too but that don't mean I want them playing up front for arsenal. As for the focal point thing he was certainly the focal point Tuesday night and he blew it badly, any top striker should be the focal point of his side and if he isn't then it isn't a good thing IMO. He is alright but I think we need better and someone more suited to our style

Bit in bold, basically repeated what I said. RVP can hold up the ball and bring others into play. Not necessarily a straight up target man but a complete forward.
    Mandzukic is built like giroud but is more dynamic and an all round player bar his finishing but it's still better than girouds. Not a straight up target man...
    Mandzukic has gotta be one of the best kept secrets in Europe he was absolutely unbelievable when they beat us 3-1 one of the best performances I've seen against Arsenal and no one ever talks about him most people still think Mario Gomez is their main striker I think

ReputationRep:
    His link up play is very hit and miss and even when he is linking up well hes never doing anything extraordinary is he and other times he can't trap a ball, he has some physical presence but gets bullied a lot and moans whenever he loses ariel 50-50s (he seems to be getting better lately though so maybe hes up to speed with it now) and his goals return is good but tbh I think if we had Kevin Doyle or Nick Bendtner up front for a season they'd score at a good clip too but that don't mean I want them playing up front for arsenal. As for the focal point thing he was certainly the focal point Tuesday night and he blew it badly, any top striker should be the focal point of his side and if he isn't then it isn't a good thing IMO. He is alright but I think we need better and someone more suited to our style

Mandzukic has gotta be one of the best kept secrets in Europe he was absolutely unbelievable when they beat us 3-1 one of the best performances I've seen against Arsenal and no one ever talks about him most people still think Mario Gomez is their main striker I think
    Yeah agree with this. It kind of pisses me off when people talk about mario gomez as the main striker when he clearly isn't. While gomez would offer you goals mandzukic offers you much more. Similar to the benzema/higuain situation higuain got more goals with less playing time last but benzema was first choice last season for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    Nasri scored! LMAO!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sufistic)
    Nasri scored! LMAO!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? But the match just started? Wtf. Did not expect Tottenham to roll over that easily

ReputationRep:
    Really? But the match just started? Wtf. Did not expect Tottenham to roll over that easily
    They were on top really, city's first attempt and they scored! First time I've thanked Nasri in a LONG time ha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)
    They were on top really, city's first attempt and they scored! First time I've thanked Nasri in a LONG time ha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol. It was great play by Tevez.

Nasri is lucky to be on the pitch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    nasri's doing more to help arsenal's top 4 hopes than giroud :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    New article on Arseblog "Walcott: contract talks made me grow up"... And stop scoring goals?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh ****...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.