Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    £20 pounds a week after paying for the first 4 months rent ..

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. My loan doesn't cover anything (in fact, it's over £1000 short of covering my basic accommodation) and I'm getting no financial help from my parents. I'm desperately saving as much as I can right now and praying that I can support myself on savings and a crappy part time job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribosometronome)
    Nothing. My loan doesn't cover anything (in fact, it's over £1000 short of covering my basic accommodation) and I'm getting no financial help from my parents. I'm desperately saving as much as I can right now and praying that I can support myself on savings and a crappy part time job.
    I see you're in a situation very close to mine. Except I'm not getting a loan. Wondering if working for 100 quid a week (-70 for uni accommodation) will let me survive.

ReputationRep:
    Am pretty in a similar position, where loan doesn't cover accommodation cost. But am also in the good position that I been out of education for awhile. So currently working full time. I been saving since october. I should hopefully be in a position where am covered for everything without my loan. But this makes it easier in second year where I won't have the income the same way. I will saved well over 10 grand or through some of that will be covering cost of getting the things I need. Which included purchasing a new laptop. I don't earn much per hour. Just worked a lot and saved over half of it each month. It's really hard as am not getting any money from my parents to get things I need. I had to save it all of my own back. My birthday and Christmas from my grandparents has gone into the fund for uni bits. I now started cutting back on my extra cost. As I only put in my budget for two things I pay by direct debit. Which is phone bill and my unlimited card for cineworld. Only keeping that as I go to a lot of films and cinema is down road from uni. Plus will save me loads on tickets. As I can go to as many films as I like for 15.90 a month.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribosometronome)
    (Original post by confused.student)
    I see you're in a situation very close to mine. Except I'm not getting a loan. Wondering if working for 100 quid a week (-70 for uni accommodation) will let me survive.
    Im also minus £180 i have about 100 pounds worth of savings and the rest will have to come from a part time job whilst at uni plus work over the summer... providing i can find work at these times. Im an NHS student and hoping to study in London. Even though im entitled to all loans, grants and bursaries it still doesn't cover the cost of the accomodation let alone the basics like food and books...

ReputationRep:
    I have £7.50 a week of my student finance once I've paid for accommodation but I have a couple of grand in my savings and I'm getting a work transfer so I'll be reeet.

ReputationRep:
    After i pay my acoom, car bill, phone bill, debts i will have £30 for the month... Thats without buying food.....
    Gonna have to somehow get money from my parents.. annoying that i want to be more independant and im used to having a part time job earning over £500pm to having to live off around £200pm (before bills)
    Im screwed. Doing nursing aswell soo no way of fitting in a part time job as ill be working shifts. :|

ReputationRep:
    130-140 per week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    I have a lot of sympathy for people who's parents earn a decent crust, so they get no Maintanence Grant and a reduced loan, yet their parents will not help them out when they go to University. They have my sympathy.
    I'm glad to know some people have a heart still. I was actually gob-smacked when my parents told me that they earn 45k combined. They live like they earn 20k between them seriously. 22k X 2 =44k. 20k as a 40+ year old is a pretty poor salary, I really don't see why people have some illusion that being above the grant threshold means that your parents are well off.

It's just unfair, how because of their income, it means that you get less support but HAVE to pay back MORE when you graduate. I don't understand why a 'poor' student gets a more generous repayment system. I.e only having to pay back 3.8k X 3 after university, while I have to pay back 5.5k x 3. They even insult you by offering a £50 grant. My friend will get up to 12k, that's more than double what I'll get!

Also do you not find it weird how if you DO NOT live with your dad, he's not expected to support you. I would have thought SF would require both parent's evidence regardless of marital status. I don't understand that, unless you're not in contact with him. People also forget that there are so many middle class students who end up with full grants blah, because their parents are separated..meaning that they get a tidy allowance from their pops and 7k from SF.

Sorry I just needed to rant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cutmeloose)
    I'm glad to know some people have a heart still. I was actually gob-smacked when my parents told me that they earn 45k combined. They live like they earn 20k between them seriously. 22k X 2 =44k. 20k as a 40+ year old is a pretty poor salary, I really don't see why people have some illusion that being above the grant threshold means that your parents are well off.

It's just unfair, how because of their income, it means that you get less support but HAVE to pay back MORE when you graduate. I don't understand why a 'poor' student gets a more generous repayment system. I.e only having to pay back 3.8k X 3 after university, while I have to pay back 5.5k x 3. They even insult you by offering a £50 grant. My friend will get up to 12k, that's more than double what I'll get!

Also do you not find it weird how if you DO NOT live with your dad, he's not expected to support you. I would have thought SF would require both parent's evidence regardless of marital status. I don't understand that, unless you're not in contact with him. People also forget that there are so many middle class students who end up with full grants blah, because their parents are separated..meaning that they get a tidy allowance from their pops and 7k from SF.

Yep my friend get a massive bursary because she lives with her single mum. But she is an only child and has money thrown at her by both parents, Her mum is paying for her £500 clubbing holiday and her dad is buying her a laptop for uni. If her dad can afford to live at London Bridge he can afford to look after her when she's at uni. I'll be getting 2k less than her. I have one sibling at uni and one on a gap year and my parents combined income won't even be a fraction of her dad's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippokrates)
    Yep my friend get a massive bursary because she lives with her single mum. But she is an only child and has money thrown at her by both parents, Her mum is paying for her £500 clubbing holiday and her dad is buying her a laptop for uni. If her dad can afford to live at London Bridge he can afford to look after her when she's at uni. I'll be getting 2k less than her. I have one sibling at uni and one on a gap year and my parents combined income won't even be a fraction of her dad's.
    It's incredibly stupid. I think the bursary system must have been created by a child. University based bursary should be for all. For example, my friend is going to Warwick and gets 7.2k from SF, 2.5k from Warwick bursary and then 2k from another Warwick based scholarship. I would be unable to apply for any of those schemes. 11.7k, that is the annual salary for some people, and it's being to a student whose only 'bills' at least in first year is accommodation. I just can't get over the logical fallacy that being over the threshold for a grant makes people assume that you are 'well off' 20k x 2 for two middle aged parents is not a good salary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cutmeloose)

Yeah but there are people like me who have on off contact with their dad, but can't rely on them for money at all so taking his income into account would be unfair, because it's not like I'd actually get the money.
    I would love it if I could make him support me because I'm fairly sure he earns 25k ish... but what can you do? Unfortunately he didn't marry my mother so there's no legal requirement

And some of those people won't take the loans to keep debt free so actually will only be getting 3000ish.... but still not fair.

It is a really unfair system, set up by people who got their degrees for free -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think I am living off £104 a week. I only get the basic loan but parents are paying the additional into my account each week or month- up to me really.

I know I'm quite fortunate with all this and do think the system is in some way floored as so many aspects aren't taken into account but the Government wants to make money and so this is their way.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The different amounts on this thread are ridiculous, you have some people getting £100+ a week of their student loan whilst others cannot even afford their accommodation from their loan.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I can see, around £100, +/-£20 if I end up getting the slightly cheaper/more expensive accommodation on offer, thankfully a liveable amount

ReputationRep:
    About £610 a month, not paying rent as it's my parents flat but have to pay energy bills like heating,electricity & TV as well out of that (well half of the bills as im sharing) - i'll be fine anyway. (thats £400 wages, £90 SAAS and £90 from parents and £30 from an inheritance thing i get)

ReputationRep:
    I get the maximum loan and grant because my parent is a single mum who is incapacitated at the moment. I'm going to Keele so because I get the max grant I get an additional £1000, and they offer a scholarship of £2000 for AAA which I'm fairly sure I'll achieve. My dad is giving me another £1000 he's saved for ages and I'm taking £1000 of my own hard earned/saved money. So just for the 33 weeks I'll be there per year I'll have just shy of £290 a week to spend...IF I get the scholarship, once I've paid for accommodation.

It's going to be so strange because my family have never really had enough money to be comfortable. Obviously I won't spend that much, though. I agree there should be grant/bursary for everyone, because not everyone's parents are going to be as generous as others.

ReputationRep:
    Approximately £53 a week, hopefully my parents will give me some money every month but they don't earn that much together so I guess I need to get a part time job

ReputationRep:
    I didn't want to make a new thread so I wanted to ask a quick question here:

If I was thinking of going to university next year in September, when should I apply for all the loan and grant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZynFaze)
    I didn't want to make a new thread so I wanted to ask a quick question here:

If I was thinking of going to university next year in September, when should I apply for all the loan and grant?
    As in September 2014? You've got a while yet... People are currently in the process of applying for finance for September 2013.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.