The Student Room Group

Do people have the moral 'right' to call each other fat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by frankieboy
Am I weird for preferring the rice and onions to all that frozen rubbish?

Not at all...if you don't have a body full of parasites that have taken over your mind and make it unbearable for you to eat anything other processed junk , then you should find meals like that quite delicious.

I often find myself just eating plain rice or plain pasta for the high amount of carbs they provide with hardly any fat. Also like to have a meal of just bananas now and again (fully ripe though of course for the most sugar)

(yes that is right people carbs don't make you fat, and by carbs I don't mean chocolate or a donut)
Original post by Tabzqt
In what definition is being overweight healthy?

This

Original post by Iron Lady
OK.

Good god what a solid argument you've put forth there, like a solid inpenetrable wall. There is nothing I can say to counter it, 10/10 post. Incredible
Original post by aPx
Not at all...if you don't have a body full of parasites that have taken over your mind and make it unbearable for you to eat anything other processed junk , then you should find meals like that quite delicious.

I often find myself just eating plain rice or plain pasta for the high amount of carbs they provide with hardly any fat. Also like to have a meal of just bananas now and again (fully ripe though of course for the most sugar)

(yes that is right people carbs don't make you fat, and by carbs I don't mean chocolate or a donut)

Good stuff. A good pasta should be nice with just a drizzle of olive oil, or a little butter.

I like my porridge as of late. I treat myself to the Waitrose jumbo oat organic stuff, though their standard essentials range stuff is also nice.

And I agree. If a person can gear their tastebuds towards healthy food, the rest takes care of itself. I can't stomach most of the rubbish that places like Tesco offer us. It just doesn't taste right, and ISN'T in fact that much cheaper, all said and done.
Reply 343
Original post by Nick1sHere
This

Good god what a solid argument you've put forth there, like a solid inpenetrable wall. There is nothing I can say to counter it, 10/10 post. Incredible

My post was pointless, yes. But so is yours. You're just trying to look :cool:
Original post by aPx
Being fat is in no way a positive. There are no benefits of being a fatty, and I just don't understand how people can let themselves destroy their bodies. For christs sake, go do some daily exercise, and eat properly. Don't sit on your laptop all day complaining on forums about how fat you are while eating some ice cream.

The fact that parents are letting their children eat like crap and not exercise is retarded. Do parents not love their children anymore?

If people had the choice they would easily choose being slim and healthy over being fat with high blood pressure and a heart attack waiting to happen. Therefore I do not see how anyone who can think for properly can let themselves look like ****.

P.s, please find one very attractive fat women and I will believe that not all fat people are ugly. Because the truth is...if you are fat you really will not be attractive.

I personally think Adele is beautiful (and hillarious) but I guess it's down to perspective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do fat people even have the same rights as us, they're not our equal
Original post by SarahWorksout
Why do fat people even have the same rights as us, they're not our equal

Who's "us"?
My post was pointless, yes. But so is yours. You're just trying to look :cool:

Please tell me it worked
Reply 348
Original post by frankieboy
Am I weird for preferring the rice and onions to all that frozen rubbish?

Cheese and onion omelette and rice for example (a few eggs and cheese needed too). Yummy. And takes the same time as cooking the sausages and oven chips.

I think part of the problem nowadays, and why food "seems" expensive is people don't posess enough basic cooking skills.

Also - Cheap sausages are not in fact "cheaper". Get some of those cheap sausages then get the same value of gorgeous proper sausages from the butcher. Cook them both up. By the time the cheap sausages have expelled all their MSG and shrunk to 2/3 their size, you'll find that the butchers, weight for weight, is the same price. Possibly cheaper. Healthier. And 10 times nicer.

Supermarket "cheap" food = a con.

I was using an extreme example there to be honest. You can make a pretty decent stir-fry for under a quid using rice, eggs, onions, some mixed veg and a bit of pork. Spaghetti Bolognse is also a cheap recipe. Still if you want a bit of a variety in your diet it does cost a bit more.

Those cheap sausages are pretty horrible and full of junk don't get me wrong, but 40 for £2 at Iceland is as cheap as dirt. Get those and a £1 bag of chips and you and you can feed yourself, albeit poorly, for at least a week.

Butchers and green grocer's can be cheaper, if you go for the cheaper cuts and slightly out of date or in season vegetables. But as you say a lot of people don't possess the skills to turn this these into an actual meal.
Reply 349
Original post by Swanbow
Yes but students tend to get a lot more exercise. Plus they are still young and their metabolism still works well.

1. Have you ever gone shopping? Feeding yourself on oven chips, cheap sausages and pizzas is a lot cheaper than eating fresh food and making meals from scratch. Unless that is you are very partial to rice and onions for dinner.

Yes I have. I plan my meals in advance and if I need to stick to a budget, I will.

2. Granted, I myself don't mind the odd pizza every now and then. I also like to drink, doesn't mean its acceptable to have a bottle of bourbon everyday.

But if you enjoy the bottle of bourbon, and you're not affecting anyone else by being violent or abusive, why is it not "acceptable"? Obvious reasons like health, so it may not be acceptable to you, but you don't need to pay attention to the anti free choice bias from the state or health industry.

3. People rarely educate themselves, and children are being brought up in homes where they are being feed absolute rubbish and know nothing better. It should be taught at school during food and catering classes, the benefits of a healthy diet as well as simple recipes.

I see your point about children being brought up in homes where parents may be lazy and skip the healthy meals. But that's not a "poor v. rich" issue, some parents may be too busy (from any income level) to cook meals from scratch. If that's the case, I don't think having children is fair on them. It depends on their priorities. I think opening advice on healthy meals in school is OK (like leaflets in school halls), but anything more than the odd class here and there are a bit extreme - school is for educating on academia, not food. People aren't idiots, they know that too much junk food and not enough exercise increases their chances of becoming overweight. If they make the conscious decision to, with the consequences in mind, you're in no position to suggest they do otherwise.

4. Just like it is none of my business how much people drink, smoke or what drugs they take? Except those life choices have a negative impact on society and lead to a variety of health and social problems, problems that my tax goes towards paying. Obesity is also becoming a huge health problem too, likely to become the number one cause of death and long term health issues in the future. To say it is none of my business is quite frankly absurd.

Negative side effects:
1. Drinking: OK, abusive or violent behaviour. But that's not necessarily the drink, it's the people and their inability to control. People know by a certain time where to stick to their limits.
2. Smoking: leaving fag butts in the street (inconsiderate), blowing smoke into other people's faces (again, inconsiderate) or second hand smoking (inconsiderate). If smokers are doing these things they have personality problems, other smokes probably smoke in private away from others and clean up after. I know cancer is a health problem, but it's not just from smoking, and not all smokers suffer from cancer.
3. Obesity: people choose to eat too much, so they can pick up the cost.

I don't agree with taxpayers picking up the tab for self-inflicted injuries or health problems, but remember that smokers, drinkers, and fat or obese people still pay tax, so it's their money contributing to.
Original post by CaptainDudeson
It's not an assumption, I'm not assuming anything. It is a suggestion of a possible reason, I'm certainly not assuming that this is the reason.

Fat people often have a low self worth and a low self esteem and in the context of a relationship they may be easy to manipulate due to their fear of losing their partner.

just because someone doesn't conform to your expected standards doesn't mean they have low self-esteem.
Reply 351
Original post by MrHappy_J
just because someone doesn't conform to your expected standards doesn't mean they have low self-esteem.

This. People conform because they have low self-esteem.
Original post by ashleighgiles

Where I live, a size 10 and above is considered fat. Many of the stores here won't sell women's clothing above size 12, because it ruins the "model image". I almost felt bad about myself before by this social ideology because my size is around 14/16 (fortunately I have gotten over it). So both our paradigms contradict each other, hence we'll have no ending to this argument. We, on the other hand, have malnourishment problems, as well as obesity problems, knowing the culture here in this third world country.

No disrespect but my comments are regarding the UK, not a third world country. The UK does have an obesity problem and a good many stores go up to at least a size 18 and as I already said 'curves' are actively celebrated here.

I can't count the amount of times I've been on the bus recently and not been able to sit down because someone is so big that they take up two seats - no exaggeration. Obesity is becoming normalised and being overweight already is so I'm not convinced with this argument that even a size 12 is deemed fat. It's not.
Original post by Nomes89
No disrespect but my comments are regarding the UK, not a third world country. The UK does have an obesity problem and a good many stores go up to at least a size 18 and as I already said 'curves' are actively celebrated here.

I can't count the amount of times I've been on the bus recently and not been able to sit down because someone is so big that they take up two seats - no exaggeration. Obesity is becoming normalised and being overweight already is so I'm not convinced with this argument that even a size 12 is deemed fat. It's not.

Don't worry, my initial post wasn't about the UK, so we're even.
I was sort of ranting about how "fat" is considered here in Asia, which seems to be very different from how it is considered there in the UK.
And wow, two seats. I can still curl up in one theatre seat and am still considered "fat" here in Asia. :gasp:

This probably isn't related, but apparently "beautiful" in Southeast Asia is:
1. Model skinny (size 8 and below)
2. White (which is scary because many women go for skin bleaching)
3. Tall

Hence that's how "fat" people are determined here.

:lazy:
Original post by MrHappy_J

I didn't say that they do but it is a fact that a lot of fatsos do have self esteem issues.
This. People conform because they have low self-esteem.

This can rarely be applied to the issue of fatness.
You're generalizing a lot. Their size doesn't necessarily have anything to do with their determination, self control, etc. You have a very silly vendetta against heavier people, get over it.

Now, how are you defining fat? It's a very loose and subjective term. I don't think people with just a few extra pounds are unable to be successful or honest people.

You see, I would strongly disagree. From my experience of people and simple logic, a persons image is one of the best ways to see what someone is like as it is such a natural result of their actions and behaviour. Anyone who is very fit is highly motivated, just as anyone who achieves fantastic academic results is highly motivated. However here is the difference between those two - almost no one is limited at being fit, everyone is limited to their intelligence.

Tubby, chubby and beyond. Someone who has a lot of wobble to them :biggrin:

Then my suggestion is to make them pay. You keeping up with that?

But sadly that will never happen so we have to deal with what we have...which is fat people draining the system.

1. It's not a case of "be slim or die". People come in different shapes and sizes and just because someone is bigger, it doesn't mean they're really that unhealthy.
2. Forcing people is never beneficial.

You didn't answer my question, just avoided it. Why? Because you know it's rhetorical. They will only gain things from it.

:confused: I never said fat, I said big.

But big is the liberal way to say fat, so I just cut through the fluff.

Someone's size does not show them to have bad qualities. That's laughable reasoning. Again, what do you mean by fat? Slightly big doesn't not mean they're unhealthy like a morbidly obese person, which is taking it to extremes.

Yes it does. As I said, list what qualities makes someone overweight.

Eating too much for their own gain or satisfaction does not affect you. IF they were rude to you, that's different. They may be nice/honest/hard working and many other positive characteristics, so that's how they should be judged, not if they have too many chocolate bars in their spare time.

Look, we're not going to ever see eye to eye on this. It affects everyone, but you don't want to go with that and clearly nothing I say or do will change your idea. I have lived and known many fat people, and from a simple logical point, what I say is utterly sound. The numerous ****ty qualities it takes to be fat are not qualities you want in a person and these will affect you at some point as we have to all share this planet together.

Quick Reply

Latest