Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    It's depends on so many variables. If you love drinking/partying/getting drunk and all that then it's easy peasy to make friends. I wasn't really into all that and am really really shy in real life so i found it really hard to make friends. Also I kinda didn't have anything in common with the private school kids so couldn't make friends with them. Even with grammar school kids it was hard, but i found a normal working class person or two and it was wicked hanging out with them We used to ***** together about all the toffs and how stuck up they were, and how full of themselves they were hehe

I'm sure you won't be lonely. .
    I'm not really interested in drinking and stuff, a couple of times is okay, but i find it boring after a while
    I'm shy to and i look so young, i'm afraid people will make fun of me XD
    Haha, they're the best types of friendships, sometimes just having a couple of friends is better than having a large group of them; so much arguing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbseh)
    I might be getting the whole remark thing with unit 2 then if that doesn't work then I'll have to resit I was predicted high B/low A and got a high C which is too weird to go unchecked!
    Oh my god seriously?! I was predicted an A too which is so weird because Im so less off. But alot of people say if your grade is way close to the boundary your paper already has been carefully scrutinized so it isnt much help

ReputationRep:
    yea I got a U in 4 of my 5 papers. I was only expecting one for my Physics AS Practical. One was 1 off an E but 3 were only 33% of the total Uniform mark for the module and I definitely thought the papers were at least a C. Didn't come out of the exams (apart from the practical...) saying I couldn't remember anything. Couldn't of got worse if I couldn't remember anything in the exam. Confused.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely...! I got a C in German because my speaking got a D.... after my German teacher was like A/B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Yes, I am going to resit the year. I feel so much better, I was doing subjects I didn't particularly enjoy. Now I can start fresh and work harder!
    Oh cool yeah hopefully I will be resitting my A-level and carry on my Btec, are you going to repeat the year at the same college?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I just got my AS results back for my subjects. I got E, E, U, U. Failed both Biology and Chemistry even though I literally put in my life to them which effected my other subjects. So annoyed but clearly science isn't for me. Thank god I can still continue and resit!

ReputationRep:
    I got AABB (one UMS mark from an A in chem :mad:) and I know that these aren't the worst marks but I found my maths marks were a bit harsh. Maths is my favorite subject so I put lots and lots of effort into the C2 exam in the summer whereas for C1 and M1 I most definitely didn't do enough and found M1 just didn't sink in with me and I didn't even finish my papers for both the C1 and M1 exams whereas for C2 I was completely prepared, I finished the paper and I was able to check it through twice but I had the same marks for each of the exams?? (75 and a B if you're wondering) which has set me back for next year as I need an overall A! Did anyone else find this with their Maths results? I'm with WJEC.
    Maybe I was over confident for C2? But I felt the same for the BY2 exam and I did extremely well in that so I am a bit confused!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegendX)
    Well, now you have your results, you can't change anything. As harsh as that may sound. Anyways, focus on the future, you can still pull it back up. I'm not sure what you study, but particularly in the science/maths subjects I studied, the knowledge just carries on from previous units. I know you probably revised hard but try looking at your revision techniques again. My honest suggestion is, be ahead of your class, constantly do past paper questions on the topics you have learnt in your class. Also another thing is, do the mock tests you do in your class honestly, I know many people who cheat just to get a good grade in mocks, there's seriously no point in doing that. Use what your getting in mocks as an indication and finally, DON'T leave it too late. For Summer exams, I suggest you work through out the year but heavily start revision in January, perhaps even earlier. Also, follow what ever they say in specification, whatever they have listed will come up. Read the examiner reports and look for common mistakes, focus on these mistakes. That's my advice, whether you wanna take it on board is up to you. Good luck!
    Thank you, that is the most helpful advice anybody has given me regarding results!!! Oh and just letting you know I do study maths and science, particularly maths, chemistry and biology, i underachieved this year scraping a C in biology and maths, and a B in chemistry Thank you again good sir, I most certainly will take this on board!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imjustrach)
    Same! English was my best subject, I wanted to study it at Uni for a reason. I was getting A/Bs in all my mocks (I did lang/lit combined) and I ended up with a D and a C in my modules.... 2 marks off a C! So I'm just going to retake the lit module I got a D in but it's still money I don't have. (My college won't pay for resits/remarks :/)

But a lot of people haven't had good marks of AQA, I just feel a bit cheated really
    Totally the same with my I got B's and A's in timed essays in class and my teachers expected an A from me and I got a low C. I agree with the money, I am going to pay for a photocopy to ask my teachers what went wrong but not sure whether to pay for remark or just resit it I want to do English at Uni too! Still hoping to do that hopefully resit won't mess that up and I'll get the grade I want second time round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa17)
    Yes definitely. I got a D in English Literature when i was expecting a B/A. I worked so hard to get good grades for that exam and it's all been for nothing. I'm not doing it at university now, although i'm sort of glad i got a D because it's made me realise that i don't actually enjoy it that much anyway. It spoils books/poems/everything i like.

I got an A in RS though so i'm definitely keeping that on for uni!
    See that happened to me too, I got an A in RS, and I enjoy philosophy but I don't think I could do it at University for three years. I love english but I got higher in RS :/ Ughghghghgh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smko)
    What did you get in both?

The European source one ( I did Germany) I got a C
    British I got an A ..

Seems sources were marked weird at my school wbu?

(Original post by livinglife123)
    That's pretty good, I liked both my papers and ended up writing tons for the British one, I got 50/100, which doesn't make sense to me at all, so I'm getting it remarked. :confused:
    For the European one, I did Italian Unification, got 67/100 - 3 marks off a B, so getting that remarked too. If worst comes to worst, I might resit the Brit one, since I want to do History at Uni.
    I have the same issue!!! I got a B in history overall, but was disappointed because I was predicted an A and wanted to do it at university! I got an A on the british paper and a D on the source one! In past papers id been getting B+ and As and now im so shocked! definitely getting it remarked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustMe20)
    Totally agree. To all those who got rubbish grades this year, perhaps stop wasting your time crying and moaning about it on here, and instead pull your finger out, look up your syllabus for A2 and get a head start and begin studying already. Yes AS is marked more harshly than anything you've done before, but guess what, A2 is only going to get harder, as is uni. Stop acting as though you all deserve A's just because you may have done well in the past.
    Harsh but truth in that. Work harder for A2's guys.

ReputationRep:
    Hell, I'm doing AS and I do Further Maths, Maths, Economics and Computing, and after my results I had DBEB respectively. I was expecting an A in Economics, but both exams turned out to be D and U which i'm shocked at as my economics is hands down my best subject (until now ? ). As well as Maths where I got 2 As and a D in my modules but was pretty set for 3 As. Kinda shocking and waiting for papers to come back. Not sure what to think (I will resit C2) whether to do a 3rd year or whether I be let on to do my Economics 2nd year. It's really tough :/ especially that uni's I was looking at are AAB or ABB :/ and I really think it's harsh marking as I put a load of effort in like never before ( started revision feb half term)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 24hoursmiles)
    I have the same issue!!! I got a B in history overall, but was disappointed because I was predicted an A and wanted to do it at university! I got an A on the british paper and a D on the source one! In past papers id been getting B+ and As and now im so shocked! definitely getting it remarked
    Guess OCR'll have A LOT of remarks to do It kinda sucks for me to, my most recent mocks were A+ in the British Paper and B+ for the sources ... getting mine remarked to!
    Out of interest what Uni's were you thinking of?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same problem I wanted an A in English Lit, but I got a B. I'm going back to college in September. I will be studying law, sociology (fast track), English Language and business. How well is business looked at in Uni's? I know they like history and I like history, but my dad who has law friends say it's better to do business studies than history. I was thinking of doing family law in uni, that's why they recommended business studies, they said if your client was someone self employed and was going through a divorce with 9 kids, you would need to business studies to figure out all the financial things. But isn't family law going under because it is so expensive to get divorced these days, some people are just separating without a divorce. So would I need to take business? Sorry if this doesn't make too much sense, I've been worrying and stressing about this alot. The only solution I can think of is to do 5 a-levels, but that would be so hard. Ahh I am freaking out here. Why does deciding your future have to be so hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freedomtocreate)
    I'm in the same problem I wanted an A in English Lit, but I got a B. I'm going back to college in September. I will be studying law, sociology (fast track), English Language and business. How well is business looked at in Uni's? I know they like history and I like history, but my dad who has law friends say it's better to do business studies than history. I was thinking of doing family law in uni, that's why they recommended business studies, they said if your client was someone self employed and was going through a divorce with 9 kids, you would need to business studies to figure out all the financial things. But isn't family law going under because it is so expensive to get divorced these days, some people are just separating without a divorce. So would I need to take business? Sorry if this doesn't make too much sense, I've been worrying and stressing about this alot. The only solution I can think of is to do 5 a-levels, but that would be so hard. Ahh I am freaking out here. Why does deciding your future have to be so hard!
    Honestly, the top unis don't really rate Business. But, they're okay with it if it's done alongside the more traditional subjects. I would just pick what you enjoy, trust me you can pick up the financial things of business from a book quite fast if you try .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same. I expected nothing below a C or even a C grade maybe only in maths. But I got all below and I'm scared I might get kicked out because I've got two fails..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UD177)
    Hell, I'm doing AS and I do Further Maths, Maths, Economics and Computing, and after my results I had DBEB respectively. I was expecting an A in Economics, but both exams turned out to be D and U which i'm shocked at as my economics is hands down my best subject (until now ? ). As well as Maths where I got 2 As and a D in my modules but was pretty set for 3 As. Kinda shocking and waiting for papers to come back. Not sure what to think (I will resit C2) whether to do a 3rd year or whether I be let on to do my Economics 2nd year. It's really tough :/ especially that uni's I was looking at are AAB or ABB :/ and I really think it's harsh marking as I put a load of effort in like never before ( started revision feb half term)
    I do the exact same subjects however I started my revision around Early March and got AAA so there is probably something wrong with a) Your revision methods, b) Your teachers. Either way I'd suggest just to re-do year 12. Plus that's a nice Computing grade, I got a C in mine .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caits7)
    It has been extremely harsh, several boards, OCR in particular, are actually being investigated at the moment for it and millions of papers are being remarked.
    Really, is it on the news? If so can you send me the link.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freedomtocreate)
    Really, is it on the news? If so can you send me the link.
    It's on the daily mail site, here:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...00-pupils.html

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.