Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Beauty about English Lit, is that you have to be a very well read person. (So you can make links to other texts)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Winading001)
    When analysing the poem I noted that "the Palace walls were stained with blood". I then said it was a biblical reference to the Jews painted the head of their doors with blood to stop the angel of Death entering their home. (Book of Exodus). I related tthat to the authority preventing themselves from having the same "mind-forging manacles" as the general population of London.

I think he was when I told him about the classic literature I read in my spare time and what my thoughts on it were. The literature I'm referencing is Frankenstein by Mary Shelby. I mentioned it's links to Prometheus of Greek mythology through the sub-title being the "Modern Prometheus".
    Ya think?
    Your high level perception skills and passion definitely seem impressive to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathbomb)
    Ya think?
    Your high level perception skills and passion definitely seem impressive to me.
    Thanks mate. I think for my application, English Lit will probably be my saving grace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharangan106)
    We were told that 130 was the highest but for some exams it was as low as 70 as it wasn't as difficult as other,if I understoof him right.
    That doesn't seem fair. Missing out on the opportunity for extra marks, merely on the random chance of having a easier exam, which isn't your fault is certainly cruel
    Especially on such a large scale too.
    60 marks difference over a single exam is crazy.

ReputationRep:
    When analysing the poem I noted that "the Palace walls were stained with blood". I then said it was a biblical reference to the Jews painted the head of their doors with blood to stop the angel of Death entering their home. (Book of Exodus). I related tthat to the authority preventing themselves from having the same "mind-forging manacles" as the general population of London.
    Umm... *laughs uneasily*... you did good, if I had been given that I would probably have said something vague such as "it gives a menacing and gory imagery" aha, and here I was thinking I could maybe switch one of my options to Eng Lit. Le sigh, the days when my favourite subject was English, but not any more...

(Original post by sharangan106)
    We were told that 130 was the highest but for some exams it was as low as 70 as it wasn't as difficult as other,if I understoof him right.
    Oh hey you're back, was wondering where you got to. How was your interview then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffyn)
    Umm... *laughs uneasily*... you did good, if I had been given that I would probably have said something vague such as "it gives a menacing and gory imagery" aha, and here I was thinking I could maybe switch one of my options to Eng Lit. Le sigh, the days when my favourite subject was English, but not any more...

Oh hey you're back, was wondering where you got to. How was your interview then?
    I'm interested in hearing other English Literature students interpretation of the poem.
    Please share

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in hearing other English Literature students interpretation of the poem.
    Please share
    What was the actual title of the poem anyway?

ReputationRep:
    What was the actual title of the poem anyway?
    London

ReputationRep:

All I can say, is the interview with a big smile on my face.

ReputationRep:
    All I can say, is the interview with a big smile on my face.
    JUST FOUND THE POEM! It was by a dude called William Blake. Here is a link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_(poem)

ReputationRep:
    JUST FOUND THE POEM! It was by a dude called William Blake. Here is a link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_(poem)
    Lol, found it the same time as you.

Here's a full analysis if you want it.

http://www.sparknotes.com/poetry/blake/section9.rhtml

ReputationRep:
    Lol, found it the same time as you.

Here's a full analysis if you want it.

http://www.sparknotes.com/poetry/blake/section9.rhtml
    Oh hey, somehow I've now been elevated form new member to junior member. happy times.

ReputationRep:
    Oh hey, somehow I've now been elevated form new member to junior member. happy times.
    and likewise, I've been elevated from Junior Member to Full Member. You have a long way to go, Padawan.

ReputationRep:
    and likewise, I've been elevated from Junior Member to Full Member. You have a long way to go, Padawan.
    Pffft, you've had longer to post on TSR to your heart's content. and, padawan? Star Wars fan? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Pffft, you've had longer to post on TSR to your heart's content. and, padawan? Star Wars fan? :cool:
    Star Wars fan for life. And you're right about me posting for longer.

ReputationRep:
    Star Wars fan for life. And you're right about me posting for longer.
    I know I am. I checked your profile before I wrote it.

ReputationRep:
    Second row, towards the left, but not at the end, maybe 4 or 5 seats from the end. Who were you?

@Winading001 Thanks. I really hope my interviewer thought so too, because it's going to take everything I got in order to bring the abysmal fail that was my physics exam (yes, even without looking at the score sheet I already know I failed it) to elevate everything right back up. I am sure you did well too.
    I was the Asian guy sitting right at the end left on the second row. Wearing a blue jacket and black trousers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harmingjuli)
    I was the Asian guy sitting right at the end left on the second row. Wearing a blue jacket and black trousers.
    Purple tie?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harmingjuli)
    Did you have the first interview (ie. the one at 9.10) ?

Also, by Asian is that oriental Asian (ie. chinese/japanese etc) ?

If for both qs above are 'no', then I may have talked to you? Was your interview for chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    For those who took History, what was the History exam like?

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.