Brits should start learning some Arabic Watch

This discussion is closed.
Marco1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by yasminalsaffar)
To you arabic sounds 'ugly to the ear' but to be honest I think that for German- it's a matter of opinion. As for the 'nightmare script' you could say exactly the same for mandarin, yet its one of the most used languages in the world and it's not stopping anyone. And [B]Arabic is just as prominent as latin or greek- most spanish words stem from Arabic. [B]You may have no admiration of the current Arabic culture because you don't understand it. It's not just about the wars or the oil, there is history behind it and it's a shame that the media has given you that perception. At the end of the day it's your opinion but just try to understand it more first before you reject it.
Just as prominent as Latin and Greek? Don't make me laugh please. Where then is the vast anthology of valuable ancient Arabic literature that has been given to the rest of the world and translated into numerous languages so that we might elevate our minds to learn more of who we are and our relation to the external world? The treasury of Latin and Greek writings has shaped and advanced humanity. Even the most celebrated ancient Arabic philosphers wrote from the influence of the writings of ancient Greek, Aristotle. They were educated by Greek thought.

Most Spanish words stem from Latin not Arabic. Why does 'media influence' or 'lack of understanding' always seem to be assumed and used as a standard retort when someone expresses criticism of some aspect of Arabic culture. Please patronise someone else. Wars or oil? You brought that up, I never did. Do you think all Westerners are incapable of independent thought? Perhaps you are not open to the fact that some people simply don't rate Arabic language and culture very highly in comparison to other cultures because it is lacks comparative stature.

If the starting point of your approach to an objective understanding of Arabic Language and culture is that it is so wonderful that any criticism of it must be due to ignorance, then you will not be in a position to learn. Some inhibit themselves from seeking the light of true knowledge. They mistake the shadow of familiarity for the light. The true seeker of knowledge fearlessly casts aside all assumptions and begins from scratch, as a stranger to himself or herself.
yasminalsaffar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Marco1)
Just as prominent as Latin and Greek? Don't make me laugh please. Where then is the vast anthology of valuable ancient Arabic literature that has been given to the rest of the world and translated into numerous languages so that we might elevate our minds to learn more of who we are and our relation to the external world? The treasury of Latin and Greek writings has shaped and advanced humanity. Even the most celebrated ancient Arabic philosphers wrote from the influence of the writings of ancient Greek, Aristotle. They were educated by Greek thought.

Most Spanish words stem from Latin not Arabic. Why does 'media influence' or 'lack of understanding' always seem to be assumed and used as a standard retort when someone expresses criticism of some aspect of Arabic culture. Please patronise someone else. Wars or oil? You brought that up, I never did. Do you think all Westerners are incapable of independent thought? Perhaps you are not open to the fact that some people simply don't rate Arabic language and culture very highly in comparison to other cultures because it is lacks comparative stature.

If the starting point of your approach to an objective understanding of Arabic Language and culture is that it is so wonderful that any criticism of it must be due to ignorance, then you will not be in a position to learn. Some inhibit themselves from seeking the light of true knowledge. They mistake the shadow of familiarity for the light. The true seeker of knowledge fearlessly casts aside all assumptions and begins from scratch, as a stranger to himself or herself.
I'm not saying Latin and Greek or not important! Of course they are but I'm saying Arabic can be considered just as important but that is a matter of opinion. And yes Spanish does stem from latin but also Arabic. I am not talking about you specifically! I am a Westerner so of course I understand that we are capable of independent thought! But you can't deny that there are many people (from all over the world not just the West) who judge the Arabic culture based on the bad aspects of the culture and tend to forget about the other aspects! This forum is a prime example of that-many people have mentioned war and oil and that's why I mentioned it. I can't deny there are faults with the Arabic culture and unfortunately many people do choose to reject learning Arabic because of that. I wish people could cast aside all assumptions and begins from scratch but unfortunately that is not realistic.
Jacketh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personally, I'd love to learn Arabic. However, I do wonder whether I'd actually ever be able to do it or if I'd have the skills. Languages are best learnt at an under age. I do happen to believe that we as a country are vastly behind on our teaching of languages and we struggle to learn languages such as French, German and Spain which are similar to English when putting it on a spectrum. As a country, learning Arabic and Mandarin would be fantastic for ones potentials, but until our attitude and teachings change we're going to struggle to implement them, unfortunately. I also fear sadly that some would oppose their children learning Arabic. You can just see the Daily Mail running a story about how our children are being forced to learn Arabic and how dreadful it is.
captain.sensible
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
personally, without judging this negatively in light of the stench of multiculturalism that's seems to be increasingly injected into everything in our lives, I actually don't think learning arabic as a second language would be a necessarily bad idea - a huge amount of people live in arabic-speaking countries; the middle east and northern africa are basically monolithically of one language, and that's fairly useful to them opposed to europe where we have a huge variety of language which could be argued to make things fairly difficult, but I digress. however* I'd still suggest that chinese and spanish would take precedence in terms of their usefulness, and besides, who'd want to go to the middle east? it's a wasteland of dictatorships, death and delirium. at least with china, for all its faults, it has a huge amount of people and the country is becoming increasingly important to world trade. still, it is undoubted that spanish would be the most important and most useful language simply because of how its so widespread globally, while chinese isn't like that, and its merit is simply that it is a "more relevant" language today than it was yesterday
Ruffiio
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't learn a language because of its importance, I learn it because I like the history of the country. Otherwise I would be forcing myself to learn something that I don't want to learn which would make me depressed.
Dylankj96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why the f*** would I learn a language I don't need? Next you'll be telling me to start learning some Scandinavian... No thanks, mate.
getfunky!
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd like to learn
Arabic
Chinese Mandarin/Cantonese
German
Hebrew
Russian

Not that many, I know:daydreaming:
Theflyingbarney
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Regardless of what you think of Arab countries and their laws, learning Arabic isn't really that great from an economic standpoint either. The economies of the Middle East are built almost entirely on oil and once that runs out (which isn't too far off now), so does the money. It's only downhill from here on in.

I like learning languages, so don't get me wrong, I'd rather know Arabic and English than just English, but given a choice of languages to learn it would definitely not be among my top picks.
Kim-Jong-Illest
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dylankj96)
Why the f*** would I learn a language I don't need? Next you'll be telling me to start learning some Scandinavian... No thanks, mate.
revised for ur french test tomoz m8?
navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Arabic isn't really one language per se; more like a family of languages. Egyptian, Iraqi, Moroccan and Yemeni Arabic dialects are as different as Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. The language of the Quran is like Latin; it's pretty much dead (except for religious functions), but it has evolved into a variety of living languages that are spoken across the Arab world today.
No Man
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No thanks mate. Already been to Sharm el Sheikh which is my desired limit when it comes to visiting the Arab world, and I got away just fine with speaking English.

If you suggested learning Spanish due to the growth of Latin America, despite their lack of English skills, you'd have me hooked.
simon_g
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by navarre)
Arabic isn't really one language per se; more like a family of languages. Egyptian, Iraqi, Moroccan and Yemeni Arabic dialects are as different as Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. The language of the Quran is like Latin; it's pretty much dead (except for religious functions), but it has evolved into a variety of living languages that are spoken across the Arab world today.
I assume that the OP meant "Modern Standard Arabic" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Standard_Arabic not the colloquial one.
but yeah, (classic) arabic used to be more popular than latin. NB: "used to be". At this moment, countries whose citizens speak either germanic or romance languages (influated heavily by latin/greek) have the most power.
Nothing lasts forever, 'though
jyurn89
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've been learning Arabic for the past two years and absolutely love it. It is incredibly difficult and I am some way off fluency but it always comes up at job interviews as something my potential employers are very excited about. It shows hard work, dedication and an ability to learn very difficult skills. The language is also beautiful and learning it opens up a culture that is one of the oldest and richest in the world. Well worth doing!
Oats
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jyurn89)
I've been learning Arabic for the past two years and absolutely love it. It is incredibly difficult and I am some way off fluency but it always comes up at job interviews as something my potential employers are very excited about. It shows hard work, dedication and an ability to learn very difficult skills. The language is also beautiful and learning it opens up a culture that is one of the oldest and richest in the world. Well worth doing!
:toofunny: No thanks...

In the style of some Asian/Muslim TSR members - 'I find this thread offensive'
arkhamz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd rather learn latin than arabic to be honest.
skunkboy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. I don't want those translators to be unemployed.
And you can still use Google to do the job...hehe..

Posted from TSR Mobile
simon_g
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by skunkboy)
And you can still use Google to do the job...hehe..
good luck using it for something more complicated than "hello world" situations.
sugar-n-spice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I dunno

might hurt my throat
Sophillla
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Arabic looks and sounds beautiful but I won't be learning it.

Then again I won't learn any new languages, my memory is so bad I'd never remember it.
username3748656
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Get LEARNING? WHO THE **** DO YOU THINK YOU ARE, ARAB BOY?! Come here and say to my face GET LEARNING with a wink I'll shove the Oxford Dictionary down your throat, "thErEs eNDlESs pOSSiBiLiTIES!" I'll have myself to the Middle East and make them GET LEARNING my language and let's see how you like it.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
22.55%
The paper was reasonable (403)
45.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.6%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.42%

Watched Threads