Turn on thread page Beta

anyone for Lampeter? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Probably makes sense to save on space and use the uni's paper and ink for printing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSH)
    Hey guys, im starting at lampeter on the friday, possibly the saturday, and my accomodation is in the St.Davids hall, which Ive been told sucks. Anyways, Im australian and ive been living in south wales for a year, I do brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I am a bassist/guitarist but on the accomodation pack it said that students arent allowed to play their instruments in the study rooms.......thats not going to go down well with me. Im doing ancient history straight and I know absolutley nobody that is going to lampeter which makes me feel a hell of a lot better (kidding). Im just in a terrible mood at the moment, but I am a very friendly person and im sure ill get on with you all.

Im sulking at the moment because me gf started university in shropshire last wednesday, I feel like im missing out..... anyway everyone ready?
    Hello there Jarryd,

Welcome to the thread.

I think there are pros and cons to the St Davids building. On the plus side, you get a slightly bigger room with a higher ceiling.

Most of us on the thread won't know anyone else there too, so you're not alone in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSH)
    Hey guys, im starting at lampeter on the friday, possibly the saturday, and my accomodation is in the St.Davids hall, which Ive been told sucks. Anyways, Im australian and ive been living in south wales for a year, I do brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I am a bassist/guitarist but on the accomodation pack it said that students arent allowed to play their instruments in the study rooms.......thats not going to go down well with me. Im doing ancient history straight and I know absolutley nobody that is going to lampeter which makes me feel a hell of a lot better (kidding). Im just in a terrible mood at the moment, but I am a very friendly person and im sure ill get on with you all.

Im sulking at the moment because me gf started university in shropshire last wednesday, I feel like im missing out..... anyway everyone ready?
    Hey hey! Welcome to the forum.

Don't worry about the instruments thing. Bring it anyway, all us musical people are. Just be considerate in the noise making.

I think I shall leave my printer at home then.

Can't wait to start now, 3 days to go. eep.

I'm so bored at the moment, it's horrible. I need some films to watch or something. Argh.

ReputationRep:
    Finally got through to the accommodation officer: I'm in the 'old building', wherever that is. I'm in a quiet hall, and I've been told that I'll be sharing a kitchen with approximately 15 people. And I have to bring labels to mark my food!

I'm now crapping bricks...

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, I'm trying to decide what to bring regarding musical instruments:

An acoustic guitar

An electric guitar with personal effects rack and headphones (silent practice)

Drum sticks (just in case there happens to be rehearsal studio about)

Bongos

Any ideas? What do you reckon the chances are that any of these items will be damaged or stolen? Because if there's that likely, I'll bring some battered old crap.

Ta...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kura1984)
    Oh yeah, I'm trying to decide what to bring regarding musical instruments:

An acoustic guitar

An electric guitar with personal effects rack and headphones (silent practice)

Drum sticks (just in case there happens to be rehearsal studio about)

Bongos

Any ideas? What do you reckon the chances are that any of these items will be damaged or stolen? Because if there's that likely, I'll bring some battered old crap.

Ta...
    Woah! 15 people and one kitchen. Scary.

If I were you, I'd take Drum sticks and Electric guitar. Depending on which guitar you prefer.

I like my acoustic, but I prefer to play my electric. Plus I think my acoustic would break easier. I still can't decide whether to take my Bass. I think what I'll do is like change between electric guitar and bass when I go back home on holidays or something. Pretty genius if you ask me. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Finally got through to the accommodation officer: I'm in the 'old building', wherever that is. I'm in a quiet hall, and I've been told that I'll be sharing a kitchen with approximately 15 people. And I have to bring labels to mark my food!

I'm now crapping bricks...
    The old building is the same as the St Davids building I believe.

15 people to one kitchen...surely that's a youth hostel?!

ReputationRep:
    wow, lots of messages since the last time checked! hi to all the new people! Im starting to get really excited since visiting my sister, she is settled and happy and im so excited about coming up to wales now!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i think ill bring my 5 string bass and my electric geetar. I dont think anyone would damage it, if they did well, I wouldnt be the happiest person in the universe lol. Also in the accomodation they said no martial art aids are allowed in the room. So I guess my bokken and my nunchuks have to stay at home ohwell. Yeah I was told that the kitchens in the old hall are brand new to this year, and that the number of people may lesson as some people may get moved around. Labeling the food and kitchen tools will be annoying, I dont exactly want 15 people rumaging through my food and/or tools to consume and prepare food.

Ive also been told the phone signal is appalling.........I hope this isnt true!!!!!

I was told I was in a single gender section, so when im sharing the bathroom with 8 guys and the kitchen with 15 guys, so when my gf comes to visit, wont she feel slightly.......out of place? lol

ReputationRep:
    hahaha, lol. im sure your girlfriend will be ok with it, just make sure the kitchen and bathroom isnt a total tip!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Jarryd, you're right about the phone signal being really crappy at lampeter. I went there on open day and vodafone had really patchy reception there, it would just come and go at will. Maybe somebody knows which service provider has better reception in lampeter???

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure Orange is your best bet for signal in Lampeter. I have a friend with them, she seems to have good signal there.

I'm on three. I hope it's decent enough signal for me. Argh. Annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I use T-Mobile, and I got good signal there.
    But, O2, seems to have trouble in most rural areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ixthus)
    That's strange because I get really bad T-Mobile reception in Lampeter. Really bad. Maybe it's the phone I use.

I'm taking two phones, but it doesn't mean that any of them are really worth taking... one's wrapped in gaffer tape to keep it together.

That'll be my communication at Lampy... sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ixthus)

I'm on O2. But to be honest, I doubt it'll matter cos everyone in Lampeter is within shouting distance.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking two phones, but it doesn't mean that any of them are really worth taking... one's wrapped in gaffer tape to keep it together.

That'll be my communication at Lampy... sad
    My phone keeps switching off by itself so half the time i don't even know if it's on or not. So i've just taken my cousin's old phone, but she's used it so much that the battery runs out in 2 days even if you don't use the phone.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhhhh two days. Scary.

Please say if you already know how to use computers you don't have to go to the IT lectures and things! PLEASE? Argh, I just found out a gig I wanna go to in Cardiff is on the same day. Had tickets for so long now and I missed them last time 'cause my friend was really really ill. I must go Like really really MUST go!

Damn bad timing of bands and schools!

ReputationRep:
    So we have to do them then?

So annoying, I've already missed one paid for gig this year. Wish we had a proper freshers week like most other places. Then there would be no trouble at all.

ReputationRep:
    lol, think your forgetting that lampeter isnt like most other places! it will be a lught though, im so excited now! 2 days!

ReputationRep:
    I HAVE A QUESTION (or two):

Regarding the rent: how does it work? I've not had any forms through the post, so I don't know if I have to pay a deposit, or if my student loan has to pay for the room tomorrow. I really don't don't want to turn up and find that the uni wants the money straight away and I don't have it.

Next one: I was supposed to be going to Sussex Uni this year but I've decided to come to Lampy; as a result, I don't yet have the sstudent finance form (for registering) that says I'm a student of Lampeter. Do you definately need this specific form to get your loan paid in? Or will I have to wait a stupid amount of time before I have any money?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Who's bringing an iron/ironing board?

P.P.S I'm bring drum stuff! Crap drummer available!

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.