Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthlessv)
    Medicine - hope to become a GP - so around 70/80k.

Then all the medical reports you can do for law firms etc to take it to about 160k overall
    This for example. Seems so typical, the way you put it. So why not I? Why can't I go down this route? Typical, middle-class path... I could always redo everything and just try and get into medical school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    I think those people will be disappointed if they are expecting to be earning that straight away, or even by the age of 35. No matter what degree you do you almost always have to start at the bottom or wherever you go.

I wouldn't get too hung up on your grades tbh. Yes they are important, but most careers where you are incredibly high earning rely on so many other things than grades. For example, connections (yes you can make these at good unis, but it also helps to develop your social skills), personality and attitude, ability to learn quickly, looking in the right places for lesser known positions which have less competition etc.
    It's probably cos they themselves are pretty damn well connected if they really do have a train of thought that goes towards their kind of expectations. Lol, besides, partner wise, I'm kind of unaware... Do you think gender inequality is great to the point that it's very hard to find a partner earning about £45k+? A household income of £75k after tax wouldn't be too shabby.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    I wanted what is indeed a disagreeable and unlikeable confirmation of many peoples' own expectations. Thanks for it. But look then... Tell me, what are your thoughts on how my peers, of which about half are less capable than me (and got worse AS' than me) look to be (confidently) aiming for £50k+ after tax (£75-80k)? With a partner of similar earning powers, alright, you're definitely middle-class, and that's great, but ignore that.

That original post of mine, which was trying to express how I know many people of near enough ambitions, tried to get at this. Some have been more 'star' quality than me, and that explains that partly, but what else can I say... My last chance to turn things round this year is with my retakes and A2s. I get it. I only get anxious when I envisage me still struggling to get to a top 6 uni if I get A*A*A (what I believe deep down I can peak at). I'm doing this for myself. I'm doing this for my middle-class house and great, noveau riche stupid investment of an expensive car. Gosh, do you learn about how to literally start a business with an MBA? My life's me fighting and defying whatever natural, genetic disposition I may have intelligence-wise. That's why I may seem so... Fixated. Inflexible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Either their parents/relations will gift them a job, or they will be high fliers at Oxbridge or they are clueless.

Do you have examples of people who have done it? Actual individuals you know, not generalities.

ReputationRep:
    This for example. Seems so typical, the way you put it. So why not I? Why can't I go down this route? Typical, middle-class path... I could always redo everything and just try and get into medical school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i'm being forced into doing it by my dad, i wanted to do chemical engineering. Apparently Asians dont think about job satisfaction, thats a white thing. Its probably for the best, costs a lot to run a BMW M3.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably cos they themselves are pretty damn well connected if they really do have a train of thought that goes towards their kind of expectations. Lol, besides, partner wise, I'm kind of unaware... Do you think gender inequality is great to the point that it's very hard to find a partner earning about £45k+? A household income of £75k after tax wouldn't be too shabby.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A partner on £45k isn't uncommon at all. Most people in law/medicine will be on that by their early/mid 30s, even fairly achievable in teaching.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends how old you want your partner to be I doubt you'll be able to find someone who wants to settle down and have kids in her 20's who is on £45k. No doubt there will be plenty of women who will achieve that salary (I hope to be one of them).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Either their parents/relations will gift them a job, or they will be high fliers at Oxbridge or they are clueless.

Do you have examples of people who have done it? Actual individuals you know, not generalities.
    Eh, it's gonna be the former, ****ing hell... Most are looking at unis like Exeter, KCL, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester, Durham and a few others. Alright, well, one's doing their "internship" (that his family is "so proud" of) in Singapore atm I think. A guy who wants to be an IB. A guy who could only have got that thanks to family... A person who "loves family".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Eh, it's gonna be the former, ****ing hell... Most are looking at unis like Exeter, KCL, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester, Durham and a few others. Alright, well, one's doing their "internship" (that his family is "so proud" of) in Singapore atm I think. A guy who wants to be an IB. A guy who could only have got that thanks to family... A person who "loves family".

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats why they are confident then.

If you don't have that then you gotta be in the other two categories.

I feel you're in the last category right now.

ReputationRep:
    i'm being forced into doing it by my dad, i wanted to do chemical engineering. Apparently Asians dont think about job satisfaction, thats a white thing. Its probably for the best, costs a lot to run a BMW M3.
    See. Middle-class manifestations. Being non-PC, lol, Indian (?) doctors and BMW M3s... I have no idea why they love that particular car so much. It's too mainstream for my liking. Job satisfaction? Unheard for me, I'd rather sit at home, play videogames and be on benefits, then do a job that'll pay me no more than £30k for the rest of my life, frankly. So anyway... Are you able to get work experience (big barrier for medical applications I believe)? Will a family member provide it if so? Not having a go good luck, but want to see if even for medical students barriers to entry are affected by opportunities and socioeconomic class, and so social mobility's ****.

Just a general point (not at you ruthless): with all my rants on cash, I must note my gross household income is £60k atm. So I'm by no means poor/disadvantaged, you'd have yourself believe. Except I really kind of am, if you knew me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Thats why they are confident then.

If you don't have that then you gotta be in the other two categories.

I feel you're in the last category right now.
    Is that middle category open to UCL, Warwick, Durham or Bristol peeps, to an extent? Is there THAT huge a rift between people from Bristol, compared to Warwick? Is the Bristol guy just 'alright', and in the same, semi-target boat as someone from Cass, for example? And tbh, it's not everybody that is THAT well connected, many just have the middle class household income of £70k+ or so, whereas mine's £40k, and there's the difference between being lower-middle class like me, and middle-middle class, which I would like to aspire to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    See. Middle-class manifestations. Being non-PC, lol, Indian (?) doctors and BMW M3s... I have no idea why they love that particular car so much. It's too mainstream for my liking. Job satisfaction? Unheard for me, I'd rather sit at home, play videogames and be on benefits, then do a job that'll pay me no more than £30k for the rest of my life, frankly. So anyway... Are you able to get work experience (big barrier for medical applications I believe)? Will a family member provide it if so? Not having a go good luck, but want to see if even for medical students barriers to entry are affected by opportunities and socioeconomic class, and social mobility.

Just a general point (not at you ruthless): with all my rants on cash, I must note my gross household income is £60k atm. So I'm by no means poor/disadvantaged, you'd have yourself believe. Except I really kind of am, if you knew me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Work experience was indeed done with my dads best friend, i start uni in september.

And the M3 because it has four seats and its rear wheel drive.

Also M3 + Milltek + Decat = orgasm

ReputationRep:
    Work experience was indeed done with my dads best friend, i start uni in september.

And the M3 because it has four seats and its rear wheel drive.

Also M3 + Milltek + Decat = orgasm
    Ah ffs man. See. Upsets me. Middle class takeover of everything, and unis encourage and PRIORITISE people who got that connection to get that experience, so they themselves can get to that medical school to get that £100k job and continue this country's GENUINE innate flaws and ostracisms. Happy you. Do your luck and daddy 'proud'. Get a first. Forget the money whilst your a doctor. Do good for society. Seriously, not berating you, I'm not that narrow-minded and bitter, but appreciate my point?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is that middle category open to UCL, Warwick, Durham or Bristol peeps, to an extent? Is there THAT huge a rift between people from Bristol, compared to Warwick? Is the Bristol guy just 'alright', and in the same, semi-target boat as someone from Cass, for example? And tbh, it's not everybody that is THAT well connected, many just have the middle class household income of £70k+ or so, whereas mine's £40k, and there's the difference between being lower-middle class like me, and middle-middle class, which I would like to aspire to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To a pretty tiny extent, its then pretty much luck based. Its not like a majority of Oxbridge will manage what you say.

In my experience they are pretty much all in the same boat outside of Oxbridge.

Your number are all over the place you know, your household income can't have been cut from £60k to £40k in 5mins

And lol, you still haven't 'got it' about being an employee have you? You have a much better chance if you start a business. Take James Watt and Brewdog as an example.

Middle-Middle class is more like a household income of £50k anyway, £80k is upper-middle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    As I say, you need to start a business, not be an employee.

Yet you seem to be looking at 'earnings' and 'jobs'. If you become an employee you'll be a wage slave, and funnily enough, the wage bill is usually much less than the earnings of the owner. Saving £2k/month doesn't make you free, you'd still be a slave until you have enough passive income to live - saving £2k/month that'd take about 40 years.

£65k+ is a little more credible, but actually you were saying £80k+.

Do you feel happy? I doubt it fronm what you write. Your 'freeking out' is irrational, go to a doctor.
    I just mean save £2k a month to invest in either an MBA/Masters, or buying a business (£20k+) or property to develop/rent/make money off of (though that would be in the far future). Or I could buy my dream car having saved for 4 years (flushing away £100k I'm well aware, but so what, YOLO, I want it, badly). Of course I'm well aware of how much more business owners get for themselves... That's why one's gotta be one...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    To a pretty tiny extent, its then pretty much luck based. Its not like a majority of Oxbridge will manage what you say.

In my experience they are pretty much all in the same boat outside of Oxbridge.

Your number are all over the place you know, your household income can't have been cut from £60k to £40k in 5mins

And lol, you still haven't 'got it' about being an employee have you? You have a much better chance if you start a business. Take James Watt and Brewdog as an example.

Middle-Middle class is more like a household income of £50k anyway, £80k is upper-middle.
    No I meant gross household income is £60k. After tax figures for dad's job and mum's job brings ~£42k pa to the table, so £40k actual cash. Wait, so is household income a before or after tax figure? You mean £50k before or after tax, of the combined incomes of a household? Mate as I said above, I'm well aware how **** you are as an employee. I could dab my hands at learning to code (hard), to then devise some crazy app/website/service idea... Anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah ffs man. See. Upsets me. Middle class takeover of everything, and unis encourage and PRIORITISE people who got that connection to get that experience, so they themselves can get to that medical school to get that £100k job and continue this S H I T T Y country's GENUINE innate flaws and ostracisms. Happy you. Do your luck and daddy 'proud'. Get a first. Forget the money whilst your a doctor. Do good for society. Seriously, not berating you, I'm not that narrow-minded and bitter, but appreciate my point?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i know im lucky, but my dad grew up in a council house. Everyone gotta start somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    i know im lucky, but my dad grew up in a council house. Everyone gotta start somewhere.
    Good for him. 30 years ago things must've been far easier for most graduates. Probably.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good for him. 30 years ago things must've been far easier for most graduates. Probably.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    closer to 19 years ago tbh mate.

ReputationRep:
    You can make as much as you want. You just need to learn from the right people, be strategic. Play the long game. I've got a book coming out soon that might give you some answers.

I'm still at university, and I own several businesses, so between them I'm on a low salary but high benefits. If you were to factor in things like my house and car, I guess you'll probably be looking at something around $200,000 a year. For personal net worth, I'm aiming for $650,000,000 by 2036.

http://i59.tinypic.com/bf0tpt.jpg

ReputationRep:
    One of my options is a screenwriter...
    so could be anything from £0 to £50,000,000

(I'm hoping for at least 10k :cool:)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.