The Student Room Group

St. George's UoL GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ceciafb
Do you think they contact you as soon as a place becomes available or do you think they contact the amount of people there are spaces for around the deadline? The second would be nicer I think, takes the stress off!

No it doesn't! I want to get on with planning my future!

I think they'll contact as they go along, simply because the worry is that the students further up will take confirmed places at other universities. If SGUL wait, they're going to lose potential students and have to pick from further down the list; as well as if they run out of list again, they'll have to find more students.
Original post by Don'tMessThisUp
No it doesn't! I want to get on with planning my future!

I think they'll contact as they go along, simply because the worry is that the students further up will take confirmed places at other universities. If SGUL wait, they're going to lose potential students and have to pick from further down the list; as well as if they run out of list again, they'll have to find more students.

Hm you're right actually that does make more sense, ignore me.

Well you're definitely above me on the list, so please let me know if you hear anything! Don't think there is any point in me refreshing my emails because of that reason but it's hard to resist!
Original post by ceciafb
Hm you're right actually that does make more sense, ignore me.

Well you're definitely above me on the list, so please let me know if you hear anything! Don't think there is any point in me refreshing my emails because of that reason but it's hard to resist!

Oh, as soon as I know I'll update here.

I wonder has anyone actually rung and asked about their place on the waiting list/the number on the waiting list?
Oh, as soon as I know I'll update here.

I wonder has anyone actually rung and asked about their place on the waiting list/the number on the waiting list?

I feel like that would just make them angry as they specifically said not to in the email, I was going to ask if they calculate your GAMSAT score both ways and take the best of, but I was too nervous that they'd reply to my email saying their last email was a mistake and I've been outright rejected ha
So who is definitely going to St. Georges? Or has no one made up their mind as of yet?

Those who are going, whats your view of staying in halls/rented accommodation? As in which one are you aiming for for the first year?
Original post by ginemo1992
So who is definitely going to St. Georges? Or has no one made up their mind as of yet?

Those who are going, whats your view of staying in halls/rented accommodation? As in which one are you aiming for for the first year?

I think I'll definitely pick St George's. I live in London right now and I would be able to keep my job if I stay. My personal favourite choice was Warwick and I'll attend the interview, but it would be hard to move out of London after living here so long.
Reply 346
Original post by Absorbaloff
I think I'll definitely pick St George's. I live in London right now and I would be able to keep my job if I stay. My personal favourite choice was Warwick and I'll attend the interview, but it would be hard to move out of London after living here so long.

I too would love to stay in London - but struggle to live off a £26k salary here let alone on a student loan! May need to think carefully.
Original post by MiloMilo
I too would love to stay in London - but struggle to live off a £26k salary here let alone on a student loan! May need to think carefully.

I own my own flat and the thought of having to sell it pains me. I think my living costs would technically be cheaper in London than anywhere else, and if I go to Warwick (If I actually got a place) then I'd probably end up living with my mum, which I do not like the sound of.
Reply 348
I own my own flat and the thought of having to sell it pains me. I think my living costs would technically be cheaper in London than anywhere else, and if I go to Warwick (If I actually got a place) then I'd probably end up living with my mum, which I do not like the sound of.

Cheaper as a result of not having a mortgage/utility bills/council tax etc? Because I imagine the cost of renting wouldn't be much less... But may be wrong?

If you could keep your house, then I would do it.

I would avoid living with your mum at all costs!
Cheaper as a result of not having a mortgage/utility bills/council tax etc? Because I imagine the cost of renting wouldn't be much less... But may be wrong?

If you could keep your house, then I would do it.

I would avoid living with your mum at all costs!

Technically the costs of my mortgage and my bills etc (no council tax for students!) would probably be the same as renting a room in London, but I sub - let my spare room which covers my mortgage and bills. I'm fortunate at my age I own property, if I were to sell up it could take me many years to buy again. I do like St George's, but not as much as I liked Warwick, but it's so much more convenient for me to live in London than move away.

And I love my mum, but I could not imagine living with her. She would drive me mental :s
Technically the costs of my mortgage and my bills etc (no council tax for students!) would probably be the same as renting a room in London, but I sub - let my spare room which covers my mortgage and bills. I'm fortunate at my age I own property, if I were to sell up it could take me many years to buy again. I do like St George's, but not as much as I liked Warwick, but it's so much more convenient for me to live in London than move away.

And I love my mum, but I could not imagine living with her. She would drive me mental :s

You could rent out the whole of your house in London, and use that to fund your living expensives in Warwick? I know a couple of people who did those kind of things, just to move about with a bit more flexibility.
You could rent out the whole of your house in London, and use that to fund your living expensives in Warwick? I know a couple of people who did those kind of things, just to move about with a bit more flexibility.

I did consider that but right now I only have an interview at Warwick not a place and if I didn't get a place at Warwick then that just seals the deal. Also if I left London I would lose my job, and I love the trust I currently work in. It's a lot to think about and I would rather turn down my interview at Warwick,so at least there's one less person in the race
Reply 352
I did consider that but right now I only have an interview at Warwick not a place and if I didn't get a place at Warwick then that just seals the deal. Also if I left London I would lose my job, and I love the trust I currently work in. It's a lot to think about and I would rather turn down my interview at Warwick,so at least there's one less person in the race

What do you work as, if you don't mind me asking? Would you be able to keep the job going...?

Oh, I see what you mean. But if you really wanted Warwick, surely you wouldn't turn down the interview place? I mean, considering that you got a place at SGUL does show that you're of a high standard - it's possible that you'd get the Warwick place.

Yeah, you'd lose the job in the Trust you're currently at, but you are training to be a doctor - how long would you be able to commit to that? (Which Trust are you at, btw? I was at Imperial on and off for ... about 3 years, did Guys and Tommy's and then did the Whittington...)
I've been at St.Mary's in Imperial Trust for almost 4 years now! Trained as a nurse here and stayed here also!

See MiloMilo and Absorbaloff at the offer open day thing?
Reply 355
Original post by GiuliaRinaldi
I've been at St.Mary's in Imperial Trust for almost 4 years now! Trained as a nurse here and stayed here also!

Yup :smile:
What do you work as, if you don't mind me asking? Would you be able to keep the job going...?

Oh, I see what you mean. But if you really wanted Warwick, surely you wouldn't turn down the interview place? I mean, considering that you got a place at SGUL does show that you're of a high standard - it's possible that you'd get the Warwick place.

Yeah, you'd lose the job in the Trust you're currently at, but you are training to be a doctor - how long would you be able to commit to that? (Which Trust are you at, btw? I was at Imperial on and off for ... about 3 years, did Guys and Tommy's and then did the Whittington...)

I work at uclh as a bank hca, so I could keep going at that for a year or two. I think it's the hassle of having to prepare for another interview, and I like St George's and I much prefer the hospitals it's associated with in comparison to Warwick. My boyfriend also lives here, and while we could make it work it would be difficult :/

Errr, I might be able to if my uni isn't being difficult. Did you study at King's by any chance??

St Mary's! :biggrin: I worked at St Marys for a couple of weeks before I ended up spending the best part of a year at the Western Eye. Loved it there, so much fun.
We have set up a FB group for people with a MBBS4 / GEP offer for 2015.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/344995705685308/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending