The Student Room Group

New maths and further maths A Levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Old_Simon
I make no comment about whether less structured questions are a good thing or not, but they do test a fundamentally different skill set and need to be taught as such and prepared for.

Do they really though? The current questions have so much scaffolding that the majority of questions guide people through a calculation to the point that they don't need to think. I'd be deeply saddened if the majority of schools take a similar approach in class when teaching a topic.

They also run contrary to the current trend of maintaining a high degree of consistency and hence predictability which gives students a fair and proper chance to prepare

You think predictability is a good thing? Really?

and it ensures that the approved text books do actually cover the material and that the same texts can be used in consecutive years.

The maths doesn't change. Neither does the standard of questions (much). However instead of 3 or 4 parts leading to an end result, you're just asked to carry out all the steps yourself.

Edexcel of course who make millions selling books want exactly the reverse. They like enough change every year so that pupils need to buy new books. That alone is a national disgrace.

I don't think maths books change every year (they didn't when I did my A-Levels in 2002/3 and don't think they do now either). There's a bigger disgrace - the quality of all textbooks these days is atrocious.

In France there is a huge market in second hand school books at very cheap prices every year available in at least one shop in every town.

Sure you can find a similar market here.

The only thing I oppose is ad hoc changes where the board suddenly inserts a completely novel and confusing question in what is normally a straight forward paper and does so without warning. In those circumstances it is disingenuous to simply state that the knowledge required was in fact somewhere in the specification.

The question I was referring to (Edexccel C3 June 2013 last question) was positively misleading. I have no problem with "novel and confusing" questions, so long as the question itself if worded appropriately. If there wasn't additional random information and a silly setting, the question I'm moaning about would've been fine.

I might add in my experience that considering Maths is a monumentally precise subject some of the English used in word questions is often ambiguous and confusing. Some of the sub para numbering also sometimes leaves a doubt as to if the question continues from the first part or starts again.

This I do agree with, and is something that exam boards should pay close attention to, so as to not inadvertently disadvantage someone.
(edited 9 years ago)
Any news from the new education secretary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr M

I don't think they have any plans to put a spanner in the works.

(This was in response to my question about whether Labour would support the reforms)

It now looks like Lord Tristram of Huntshire is saying that Labour would "overhaul" Michael Gove's A level reforms - does this mean all the good work that's gone into the ALCAB report and planning the new Maths syllabi would get thrown away if Labour get in next year?
Original post by davros
(This was in response to my question about whether Labour would support the reforms)

It now looks like Lord Tristram of Huntshire is saying that Labour would "overhaul" Michael Gove's A level reforms - does this mean all the good work that's gone into the ALCAB report and planning the new Maths syllabi would get thrown away if Labour get in next year?

Yes. He intends to put everything "on hold" until the new GCSEs are properly embedded. That will effectively consign all this to the dustbin.
Original post by Mr M
Yes. He intends to put everything "on hold" until the new GCSEs are properly embedded. That will effectively consign all this to the dustbin.

Who will you vote for in the election?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Who will you vote for in the election?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's between me and the ballot box. To be honest I'm usually one of those despicable people who wastes their vote. The novelty wore off for me about 25 years ago.
If I started further maths in the upcoming year and after two years I haven't achieved what I wanted, would I be able to resit in 2017?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest