Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice from previous Year 11's to upcoming Year 11's Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryrevise)
    Just wanted to ask what's the best time to start revising? (I have about 30 exams)
    Also, does anyone have any tips on dividing up revision effectively and making sure everything is covered?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Majority start in easter. If you want to be certain start a little bit before that.
    Just start off with the ones that are at the beginning of the exam period. Remember you do get a week off for half term during your exams so you do not have to revise for exams after half term before half term. I revised for all my June exams during my half term break and I did just fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkydee19)
    Majority start in easter. If you want to be certain start a little bit before that.
    Just start off with the ones that are at the beginning of the exam period. Remember you do get a week off for half term during your exams so you do not have to revise for exams after half term before half term. I revised for all my June exams during my half term break and I did just fine
    Ok thank you, that seems reasonable out of curiosity, can I ask what grades you got if you don't mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to ask what's the best time to start revising? (I have about 30 exams)
    Also, does anyone have any tips on dividing up revision effectively and making sure everything is covered?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Honestly. Don't cram. But as long as you feel confident it doesn't matter when you start. I just did a quick brush up half an hour before the exam because I was happy that I could get the grades - I did better than I expected

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did 32 exams and got 12 A*s and 2 As. The best advice I can give is to revise for your mock exams and any little tests you do throughout the year. It helps so much! I revised about 3 hours every day starting at Easter. Just relax. Your GCSE year is a chance for you to see how good at time management and revision preparation you really are. If you mess up, at least you'll know in time for your A levels.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Honestly. Don't cram. But as long as you feel confident it doesn't matter when you start. I just did a quick brush up half an hour before the exam because I was happy that I could get the grades - I did better than I expected

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok thanks what grades did you get in the end?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsTyrell)
    I did 32 exams and got 12 A*s and 2 As. The best advice I can give is to revise for your mock exams and any little tests you do throughout the year. It helps so much! I revised about 3 hours every day starting at Easter. Just relax. Your GCSE year is a chance for you to see how good at time management and revision preparation you really are. If you mess up, at least you'll know in time for your A levels.

Good luck!
    That's amazing! Well done that's all great advice as well I'll bear it in mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you, that seems reasonable out of curiosity, can I ask what grades you got if you don't mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1 A*, 1 A, 8 B's. 4 distinctions
    Not average TSR standard, but good for me as all my targets were C's

ReputationRep:
    1 A*, 1 A, 8 B's. 4 distinctions
    Not average TSR standard, but good for me as all my targets were C's
    Yeah you beat your targets by quite a bit then

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks what grades did you get in the end?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A*, couple of As, Bs, Cs, an E (but that history so it didn't really matter), a Pass in business - still waiting for my ICT grade though:confused:

ReputationRep:
    A*, couple of As, Bs, Cs, an E (but that history so it didn't really matter), a Pass in business - still waiting for my ICT grade though:confused:
    Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Meh, compared to everyone else I've heard about on here I did rubbish

ReputationRep:
    Meh, compared to everyone else I've heard about on here I did rubbish
    I think you did good
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I think you did good
    Well thank you then

ReputationRep:
    1) How was year 11 for you?
    A bit annoying. Early on I had a few 'issues' (nothing to do with school work, something else), but over time that cleared up. Got quite stressed around exam time (just look at some of my posts from that time!).

2) How many exams did you sit?
    I sat 16 in year 11, and 10 in Year 10.

3) What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?
    Make sure you have one day you look forward to - for me it was Thursdays as I had loads of lessons I really liked. This means the rest of the time flies by. If you get good results on your mocks, don't think you can drift through your real exams - I got 4A* 1A 2B on my mocks (I also had some from years before) and I almost thought I could easily repeat it - I was wrong! Granted, I did get those but I had to revise quite a bit for them.
    When it comes to revision, don't think it is everything. Find out what works for you - some people find sitting at a desk with only your workbook in front of you for 5 hours on January 1st the best idea, but I could not stand that for one moment. When I actually did mine I did not have great wads of paper. I just did other things with a stack of post its, and every time I remembered something or came across something on the internet, I wrote it down, and stuck it on my wall. This meant that I never really had any real continuous revision (bar school led ones) and instead just had a wall of my thoughts and memories, which I could then look over quickly - it seemed to work.
    When actually doing your exams, if you think you did badly - don't despair. I made this mistake - in history, my first exam went slightly odd (or so I thought), so for my second I sort of gave up hope. I got my results - turned out I got 100% UMS on the one I thought I did badly on, but only a B on the other.
    If you have a lesson you are really confident in, still revise for it. I did barely any revision for the first P2 & P3 exams and I got low UMS in them (comparatively). One good thing about that was that I got my act together and managed to more or less ace P1, so it sort of negated the effect. Even so, try to revise for all of them!

Also, when going into year 11 from year 10, don't get all stressed. It only really heats up generally after Christmas, and even then it should be manageable. Just make sure you still have fun, don't get completely bogged down, and don't fear it!

ReputationRep:
    1) How was year 11 for you?
    I really enjoyed year 11! Apart from exams i my last year at school was really fun
    2) How many exams did you sit?
    I sat did maths & eng in November,so i sat 6 then (i also did igcse english) and i sat 16 in the summer.
    3) What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?
    REVISE FOR MOCKS however early your mocks are, its still less revision you'll have to do when you're panicking after Easter. i didnt start proper revision until the Easter holidays and it was fine, but it would have been so much less stressful if i had started earlier.
    Prom is so hyped up and but its just a party with year six disco style music, crazy frog and cotton eye joe made multiple appearances. Its not worth it to splurge out on dresses, trust me. but whatever its your choice!
    Don't stress out too much about exams though, as long as you get what you need to go to college/ sixthform/ whatever youre doing next year, it doesnt matter that much.
    Try and send out some CVs before you leave school because once everyone has left they'll all be looking for summer jobs and you'll have a better chance at the nice jobs if you send CVs out early

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexisnotalion)
    I'd say just read through your last couple of lessons work again to get yourself back on track, that's all I did in year 10 and I did fine!
    thankyou

ReputationRep:
    best revision techniques?
    I think im a visual learner and all I do is write everything out onto an a4 or a3 page... im not sure it'll work for when I have to remember 3 years' worth or work though

ReputationRep:
    I was actually really stressed out in year 11, you hear people say oh GCSE's are so easy well yes they are compared to a level but there not so easy that you can say I'll just do revision a month before. I literally started my revision in September and I'll tell you it does pay off...it more or less did for me anyway.

Remember GCSE's are SO important especially if you want to do medicine and go to Russell group unis
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tj789)
    I was actually really stressed out in year 11, you hear people say oh GCSE's are so easy well yes they are compared to a level but there not so easy that you can say I'll just do revision a month before. I literally started my revision in September and I'll tell you it does pay off...it more or less did for me anyway.

Remember GCSE's are SO important especially if you want to do medicine and go to Russell group unis
    I'm not gonna lie - I didn't revise at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not gonna lie - I didn't revise at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll be honest when it comes to me I dont class myself as intelligent I have to work hard at something, but some people just are and can pull it off. What where your results?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.