Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Straight white guy festival' causes controversy Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Also the crusades are the reason why we are not islamic today.
    t.
    Why do you think this?

ReputationRep:
    Should straight, white, cis men begin to be forcibly oppressed to make up for the years of oppression they have inflicted on others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    Should straight, white, cis men begin to be forcibly oppressed to make up for the years of oppression they have inflicted on others?
    It doesn't have to be like that. The problem is, the oppression continues but it is at a much more covert intensity, especially regarding black people/African Americans.

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as a Universal White Priveledge, it's an anti-white theory by P-Correctness, embraced by people who buy into it because it sounds 'correct' and benefits their arguments. Black people are hired every day because of their skin colour through positive discrimination, equal opportunties, and other initiatives.

We even have a Black Police Association and associations for Black Lawyers, whites wouldn't be allowed to do that though as they're opressed by PC racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CryptoidAlien)
    There is no such thing as a Universal White Priveledge, it's an anti-white theory by P-Correctness, embraced by people who buy into it because it sounds 'correct' and benefits their arguments. Black people are hired every day because of their skin colour through positive discrimination, equal opportunties, and other initiatives.

We even have a Black Police Association and associations for Black Lawyers, whites wouldn't be allowed to do that though as they're opressed by PC racism.
    This.

Lets also not forget about the thousands of white slaves owned by Africans that the left don't like people talking about as it undermines their argument and schools shamelessly don't teach about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CryptoidAlien)

And no wonder when the police force is institutionally racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    Only if we have a pogrom every time there is an Islamic terror attack

Spoiler:
    Show
    We shouldn't, it's a stupid idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    By that logic, we shouldn't celebrate birthdays.

I don't see the issue with people celebrating their identity if they wish to. The reason for the existence of Pride specifically is kind of irrelevant.
    But are LGBT Pride and other such celebrations "Really" anything to do with "IDENTITY" I think not!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldsbabe)
    Why? White people can and have won them.
    I think Ed Sheeran won like 1Extras black and urban music artist the other day or some bull**** like that.
    Yeah, he won the MOBOs and a lot of people complained about it, I think Wiley did or someone like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen)
    This.

Lets also not forget about the thousands of white slaves owned by Africans that the left don't like people talking about as it undermines their argument and schools shamelessly don't teach about.
    Let's also not forget that much of Western civilisation was pretty much built on the back of millions of enslaved Africans. I really don't want to get into this debate, but the amount of stupidity in this thread is incredible. So many closet racists just aching to say how trivial all the genocide, slavery, colonisation and war commissioned, generally, by white Europeans, really is. Western power and influence has brought a lot of good to the world, but it's also brought immense destruction and suffering. They still have unmatched military, economic and cultural power. So stop pretending there is some big conspiracy to take down the Superior White Man.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    It doesn't have to be like that. The problem is, the oppression continues but it is at a much more covert intensity, especially regarding black people/African Americans.
    Can you explain exactly what this oppression is like in England?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstraction)
    Let's also not forget that much of Western civilisation was pretty much built on the back of millions of enslaved Africans. I really don't want to get into this debate, but the amount of stupidity in this thread is incredible. So many closet racists just aching to say how trivial all the genocide, slavery, colonisation and war commissioned, generally, by white Europeans, really is. Western power and influence has brought a lot of good to the world, but it's also brought immense destruction and suffering. They still have unmatched military, economic and cultural power. So stop pretending there is some big conspiracy to take down the Superior White Man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not in Europe, colonialism brought wealth but we never really used slaves here

On the contrary, I would say that whenever an argument is brought up regarding say the Arabs or the Turks, it is poo pooed because it doesn't support the notion that the white man is behind it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    Can you explain exactly what this oppression is like in England?
    I would say for the black youth it is specifically in stop and search statistics, and harassment from the police. I would say that the white supremacy in our entertainment industry is disheartening. Everyday microaggressions like the question "where are you from?" as opposed to, "what is your ethnic background?" is a constant reminder that I am seen as an outsider and am not seen as a legitimate citizen in the UK. Black people reportedly being denied housing on the basis of race, that might explain why blacks tend to be congregated in poorer, underdeveloped boroughs that have less promise and opportunity. It's systematic, it goes deeper than doctrine, yet it's covert and leads people into a false sense of security. Kind of what the US are trying to do but I guess more people are awake over there. That may be a cause for black pride, although we don't have that in the UK so w/e.

ReputationRep:
    I would say for the black youth it is specifically in stop and search statistics, and harassment from the police. I would say that the white supremacy in our entertainment industry is disheartening. Everyday microaggressions like the question "where are you from?" as opposed to, "what is your ethnic background?" is a constant reminder that I am seen as an outsider and am not seen as a legitimate citizen in the UK. Black people reportedly being denied housing on the basis of race, that might explain why blacks tend to be congregated in poorer, underdeveloped boroughs that have less promise and opportunity. It's systematic, it goes deeper than doctrine, yet it's covert and leads people into a false sense of security. Kind of what the US are trying to do but I guess more people are awake over there. That may be a cause for black pride, although we don't have that in the UK so w/e.
    Police - legit point but don't think that they only victimise black people (even if they do it to black people the worst). Remember these are the people who covered up Jimmy Savile, ignored the Rochdale groomings, and framed Hillsborough on the victims. Oh and were instrumental in the phone hacking scandal.

White supremacy in the entertainment industry - what you meant the same music charts in which black people are hugely overrepresented in comparison to the population of America let alone the UK.

Everyday micro aggressions - I don't think you can call this any type of racism; anyone asking about your origins is only trying to show an interest in you. Yes to may get annoying that they mis-phrase the question, but I highly doubt that a Neo-Nazi or anyone racist would care which particular African ethnicity you are from. In fact the idea of 'micro aggressions' was coined by a man who thought that all children were mentally ill before they entered schooling, and proposed other discredited ideas

Housing - on this I totally agree and more needs to be done to stamp this out.

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't happen to be Winston Kodogo would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FIG2013)
    But are LGBT Pride and other such celebrations "Really" anything to do with "IDENTITY" I think not!?
    Well, from the name I thought they were about being proud to be LGBT? *shrugs*

ReputationRep:
    Right. Which is why it bugs the hell out of me when White people say that Blacks have it easier. I would trade my rhythm and seasoning for their privilege any day, in a heartbeat.
    Honestly, you deserve a trophy. It seems like I can't rep you in a row. You're literally flogging a dead horse tbh, they are all bigots who want to be oppressed so bad.

ReputationRep:
    Police - legit point but don't think that they only victimise black people (even if they do it to black people the worst).
    They do. That is my point.

White supremacy in the entertainment industry - what you meant the same music charts in which black people are hugely overrepresented in comparison to the population of America let alone the UK.
    There are 6 black people currently in the top 40. All of them are international acts. In this country however, there has been intense white washing in the past 5 years, especially in black/urban music to the point that black people do not have a fair chance in their own genre. Over the past 6/7 years here is the list of British white women famous for making black music:

Duffy
    Adele
    Joss Stone
    Rita Ora
    Natasha Bedingfield
    Cheryl Cole
    Amy Winehouse
    Pixie Lott
    Paloma Faith
    Jessie J
    Eliza Doolittle
    Katy B

The list goes on. And that's just females. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a black female making black music and receiving support. They may chuck in a lightskin/mixed race racially ambiguous girl in the mix once in while, but they never really support them. As As enormously talented Alexandra Burke was, she was forced to make pop music, and even then she was blacklisted by pop radio. The last black women to make it big makin black music was Emeli Sande and that didn't happen until she bleached her skin and hair to the point that she was unrecognizable. It is no secret that the music industry prefers black voices with white faces (Exibit Z: Sam Smith), but it has become a bit too extreme when BBC 1xtra crowns a ginger white guy the most important act in black music.

Everyday micro aggressions - I don't think you can call this any type of racism; anyone asking about your origins is only trying to show an interest in you.
    I see it as a micro aggression because asking someone where their from, is implying that they are out of place, not belonging or to return. Everyone has a background, I have never heard someone ask a white person that question, and I don't like to be asked that question at my own work place. I find it disrespectful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaLDN)
    Honestly, you deserve a trophy. It seems like I can't rep you in a row. You're literally flogging a dead horse tbh, they are all bigots who want to be oppressed so bad.
    Thank you. Some of these people are imperceptive and even willingly blind. But I see society for what it is.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like my kind of festival.

While im all for minority rights the fact that we dont also elect white and straight officers in the NUS ect.. Is b
    Very discriminatory.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.