Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george osborne)
    What? I only realized the true extent of my family's wealth when we had orange juice taps installed in the kitchen.

Spoiler:
    Show
    not serious
    At our house, it was Chablis. Only from the cold tap of course.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Mulled wine in the hot one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is such an interesting thread! I think I've always realised my family was relatively well-off, but my parents have always had a really good attitude towards money I think. Apparently when I was younger we struggled for money a bit but I never noticed it at all at the time (maybe I was just too young) but then even when we moved abroad and started living as expats, and had more disposable income, they never spoiled me and my sister. I speak to some of my friends sometimes (I go to an international school so everyone is pretty middle class) and am so shocked at how their parents just throw money at them...I've always had to earn money myself or contribute to funds for trips/items, even if my parents probably could afford to pay themselves- I actually think this has probably made me a bit stingy but at least I've been taught not to take money for granted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LCM2)
    In what world are you living in for you to never have realised until recently that most people don't spend £125 on trousers? That sounds terribly ignorant and uncultured.
    I went to a private school and my parents are doctors but I have always been aware of my surroundings and understand not everyone lives like this
    It was more the fact that I never really looked on websites such as River Island, and seen the prices of the clothes. And yes, I admit, it was very ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    My mum did this with my school blazer, I looked so silly. And then the silly school decided to change the school uniform later on in the year so she had to buy another one and ti was really expensive for the specific skirt as well so I had the same skirt and blazer for 4 years until I got a new skirt because it got too small, kept the same blazer for the rest of school though
    My mum bought my blazer so I would 'grow into it' I left school a year ago and it is still too big.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommydeaks)
    I went to the second largest school in the country (state school) which bordered 3 of the roughest council estates in the county.

I always felt as though my family was well off in comparison to the struggles that others went through. I've always been treated very well by my parents. I got a car, always got what I wanted for Christmas and birthdays etc. But my thankfulness is not because of the material goods I received, but for the lengths my parents would go to to make sure I was happy.

They aren't millionaires, but I'm eternally grateful for what they've provided for me and intend at some point to pay them back in some respect. I'm financially independent now, which I am glad of. I don't like taking from people.
    Stantonbury Campus?

ReputationRep:
    I think there's some exaggerating going on in the thread, as well as some fantasising from one or two posters.
    I never knew you could get cheap trousers for as little as £125. They must be mass produced in Asia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Mulled wine in the hot one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ocado delivered that every morning with the caviar.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Ocado delivered that every morning with the caviar.
    Ahh fair enough. Mine was always what I could catch with a bow and arrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    We recently took the plumber to court when the Bordeaux came out of the chilled tap. A cold red is a human rights issue.

ReputationRep:
    I always knew... I didn't have new clothes (used to always be in trousers that were way to short for me... another recipe for bullying!), often didn't have a lunch at school and never really had much food in the house really, and I couldn't buy my friends presents for their birthday which made me feel bad. Not the best times of my life, things are on the up now I'm an adult though

Lol, just had a teary moment (in a happy way) with my boyfriend because this thread made me appreciate just how lucky I am now... we go on 2 holidays a year, live in Brighton by the sea and I've got a degree, and I'm now doing my masters. I never imagined as a kid I'd have this life now.

Edit: Also I remember one time my auntie gave me £15 to get something nice as she knew I didn't have much, and then my £15 got stolen. I cried my eyes out because that £15 seemed like a really significant amount of money at the time and I didn't know when I'd next get £15 just for me! Still strangely makes me feel sad when I think about it even though now I know I'd be miffed if I lost £15 but it wouldn't feel like the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott.)
    When I was at uni I had to travel from Henley on themes. Waiting for the bus, some girls thought I was foreign. I'm from Sheffield, I literally couldn't understand what they were saying. They taught me to talk "properly", not the lazy way like in Yorkshire. By the time I had picked the accent up, everyone at university thought I was from Oxford.

Now I'm back in Sheffield, even though it has been a year, people have no idea that I'm from Sheffield, and think I'm stuck up because I "Sound Posh". I've not noticed the difference, and I have no idea what I sound like.
    You sound like a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Nombre)
    We recently took the plumber to court when the Bordeaux came out of the chilled tap. A cold red is a human rights issue.
    I would have been appalled with my parents if they had allowed such a thing and would have sought immediate adoption to a better and more caring home.

ReputationRep:
    My parents used to be relatively poor when I was younger, I don't remember a lot of it but I went to one of the most deprived primary schools in the country, its now closed down
    Then my dad's business started getting more successful, as well as him working a full time job and suddenly he was coming home with expensive watches and cars, we bought a new house with a swimming pool and then came the business class flights and expensive holidays
    I still feel uncomfortable when people come round and comment on how 'rich' we are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    I didn't actually realise I was well off until I was 16 and started mixing with people from different backgrounds and realised not everyone had what I had
    Ah, Lannisters. :rolleyes:

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid?
    Father, when I lived with him it was clear that we weren't poor, I attended a private school and we had properties in the South of France and Italy as well as the main property in Neuilly along with the yacht, nice cars. He worked hard since he was a teenager while he had me to not only raise myself but to build a successful business, one that operates across Europe, his family were middle class and helped him out somewhat with raising me and slightly financially at the start of his business which he has more than repaid them for.

Mother, comes from a wealthy family, has the nice house and cars yet couldn't afford to send me to private school so I went to a state school, I didn't get a lot from her, I asked for little aside from affection which she wouldn't display and I resented not only her but her idiot husband and my **** half-brother. She's well off through family and despite the high paying job she squandered the majority which left me wanting to go back home. If anything she was asset rich but cash poor unlike my father who was both.

When I went to uni I got a house paid for me, a car and AMEX for unlimited spending as well as an allowance. I since dropped out, start my own business with financial backing from my father and I'm running a successful business which is increasingly expanding.

I'd say that in my family, I experienced both sides of the coin although not to the extremes others had in terms of poorness but still had an experience.

Edit: Seeing the jokes about wine through a tap, you guys laugh but that would awesome to have, I'm going to look into it

ReputationRep:
    Well , I think it was when I realised that my dad had cash most of the time ... could just give my 10 pounds to go visit friends or even a couple hundred pounds if I need fees for my dance classes. This doesn't mean I am the richest out there but we were more than comfortable and didn't have to budget as much as most families did, another example of this that most families have a weekly shop budget but I used to go shopping with my mum in waitrose and we would just pick up what ever we fancied. Some really poor families of 4 live on a food budget of 40pounds a week ... I could spend that in three days just on my dad and myself. Also my mum used to by everything 'organic' LOL. Also the stockings we got at christmas were bigger than average and we used to get between 100-300 pounds worth of gifts wich is a lot when you have other people to buy for. We also have two small (one is being rented out) second homes in cornwall ... and our main house we live in has been valued at 800,000 so we probably own more than a million pounds worth of property , all with mortgages though. I have a macbook computer and an iphone. I have flewn to New York ... with school we couldn't afford for it to be a family holiday.

But since my parents are now separated and the properties are joint assets we are having to sell and move so the wealth can be divided. We should get a good amount from the sale of the houses but my parents separation and divorce wasn't the easiest to sort out because there was a joint business involved so it has taken along time and ALOT of legal fees that need paying of. We are also having to rent because my mums credit rating has been affected by the legal fees debt so she cant get a mortgage and cant afford to buy outright. There has been times when we have been really struggling because of debt and my mum hasn't been able to give 2 pounds to allow me to print work out at college but she is very good a budgeting and balancing the books so we pay mortgages and loans and still have enough money to live comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    You sound like a ****.
    well that's not very nice
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)
    well that's not very nice
    The truth hurts

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go to tennis club because it was £26 a month but I wouldn't say I we were poor just not really well off.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.