Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I'm in the process of writing an application for MA War Studies (very late in the day I know, but wanted to wait for exam results before applying). On the online application website there is the option to either write the personal statement on the page directly, with a limit of 4000 characters OR you can upload a PDF version of your statement if it's longer than that. Which did most people choose??! Obviously you want to be able to have enough words to fully explain why you want to study but surely they want you to respect their word limit. Maybe I've read too much into this option on the application form!

ReputationRep:
    I uploaded a pdf with my personal statement and had no problem getting my offer, so just choose at your convenience. Still don't write way more than 4000 characters, I did 1 page and it was okay.

ReputationRep:
    I was just slightly under 4000 characters, and I used the box provided.

ReputationRep:
    out of interest when they give you an offer, do they ask for a specific grade?
    i.e subject to 2:1
    or do they define a specific percentage of your overall classification?
    Thx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louise09)
    Hi everyone! I'm in the process of writing an application for MA War Studies (very late in the day I know, but wanted to wait for exam results before applying). On the online application website there is the option to either write the personal statement on the page directly, with a limit of 4000 characters OR you can upload a PDF version of your statement if it's longer than that. Which did most people choose??! Obviously you want to be able to have enough words to fully explain why you want to study but surely they want you to respect their word limit. Maybe I've read too much into this option on the application form!
    I uploaded a pdf of my personal statement It was slightly longer than 4000 characters and spacing and formatting was easier to manage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioGeek)
    out of interest when they give you an offer, do they ask for a specific grade?
    i.e subject to 2:1
    or do they define a specific percentage of your overall classification?
    Thx
    A 2:1 is 60%. That was the condition in my offer.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Anyone else for the KCL International Management Msc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arlejandra)
    Hi! Anyone else for the KCL International Management Msc?
    Hey there! I'll be in that program!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Do you know if there is any Facebook page or something for KCL MIM students? A friend is going yo study @EAE in Spain and they already have a whats app group conversation where they exchange ideas and tips about studying abroad... That would be so helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arlejandra)
    Hi! Do you know if there is any Facebook page or something for KCL MIM students? A friend is going yo study @EAE in Spain and they already have a whats app group conversation where they exchange ideas and tips about studying abroad... That would be so helpful!
    That does sound swell! I've been scouting for similar online forums of students on the MA Cultural and Creative Industries programme and have hit a dead end. Maybe we could flag things off for our respective programmes, what say?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a plan! So KCL MIM students for 2015 send a mssg over here!! 😁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natcagLLB)
    Ah no. I've applied to the MA Medical Law and Ethics programme. What about you?
    What do you currently study? I hold a History MA offer but have also applied for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wajdk)
    Hello, i have applied to the pharmacology and clinical pharmacology msc program, my application status says "submitted and being processed" is the next status "reviewed" ? And how long will it take to hear from them ?
    I applied 4 days ago.
    Ps, im an international applicant.
    I wouldn't look so much as those statuses, it seems like everyones is different and some people get them updated as the process goes on and some don't. mine said the same thing for 5 weeks (I think it just said document ok and being processed) and then one day i got a conditional offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louise09)
    i did the character limit and used the box. as a US student, personal essays are such a large part of the game in applying for schools so i thought it was strange to be so short. but i think it's more about academic history and relevant experience, so if you don't have that then the essay might make up for it. someone told me to not include personal history and keep it just about the school and subject, so that's what i did (us schools love a good personal triumph story though!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmp0006)
    Any social science and public policy full time post graduates for 2015? Also, anyone from the USA- where are you going to be living?! It's been hard for me online to tell which accommodation would be best.
    hey! dept of geography postgrad, i'm from portland, oregon. i applied for the couples accommodation, as i'm coming to london with my boyfriend. we applied for wolfson and the rest intercollegiate residences.
    it seems crazy that they tell us so late what our allocations are, especially for international students. i mean, if we don't get one, we'll have to come to london early to find something else.

any USA postgrads thinking of going to the three day orientation in sept? or want to have a coffee sometime in sept? we don't know anyone in london and we're nervous about making friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belightandlove)
    I just got accepted in education in aets and cultural settings. Applied during christmas period.
    last i was on here you were still waiting i think, so a belated congrats to you from a fellow US postgrad student!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalechip)
    hey! dept of geography postgrad, i'm from portland, oregon. i applied for the couples accommodation, as i'm coming to london with my boyfriend. we applied for wolfson and the rest intercollegiate residences.
    it seems crazy that they tell us so late what our allocations are, especially for international students. i mean, if we don't get one, we'll have to come to london early to find something else.

any USA postgrads thinking of going to the three day orientation in sept? or want to have a coffee sometime in sept? we don't know anyone in london and we're nervous about making friends.
    Not from the USA but I will be there for the orientation in September and would love to meet other international postgrads!

And yes, rather nervous about accommodation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wdz)
    Not from the USA but I will be there for the orientation in September and would love to meet other international postgrads!

And yes, rather nervous about accommodation!
    great!! where are you from, and when do you think you'll arrive? we are thinking sept 4th if we get a place in a residence hall, or if we don't get one, the third week of august and stay in an airbnb until we find a flatshare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalechip)
    great!! where are you from, and when do you think you'll arrive? we are thinking sept 4th if we get a place in a residence hall, or if we don't get one, the third week of august and stay in an airbnb until we find a flatshare.
    Bombay, India.

I'd like to be in the UK by the third/fourth week of August but that all depends on if my visa is processed in time! Speaking of which, have you received your CAS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wdz)
    Bombay, India.

I'd like to be in the UK by the third/fourth week of August but that all depends on if my visa is processed in time! Speaking of which, have you received your CAS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    cool, that's on my bucket list of places to visit!
    i just graduated and met my conditions a week ago, so i sent that in and then i got this message: "We will now update your offer status and you can expect to hear from us in late summer regarding arrangements for enrolment. We will also be in touch in the next few weeks with information about the CAS request process for your visa."
    i got a message a few days after that saying they were working on it and to review my info to make sure it was correct. I have a strange feeling its going to take a while, and the US loan website if having a glitch too, so i might be scrambling at the last minute.

hopefully we will get to experience some of london's gorgeous summer season that i hear so much about. ours in portland is quite beautiful too, though!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.