Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemistrykid123)
    Good good I'm glad, yes I bet they are great we had an actual amazing (and interesting) group last year, it does not feel as daunting now I know somebody going through with me, I know what you mean I have not been revising intensely as I did last year trying to go with the calm relaxed approach this time. You ready?
    I'm just currently watching videos and slowly creating more brain cells in the process ( Hopefully it's enough). Are you ready?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedontom)
    My revision guide says polydentate is more than two coordinate bonds formed, but isn't it two or more? (or more than one?)
    1 coordinate bond is monodentate, 2 coordinate bonds are Bidentate and then more than 2 is polydentate

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I'm not even revising. I'm just looking at this.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know which experiments we should like like recrystallization.Anyone got full list of them?Normally 2 appear on ea paper imo.cheers x.

ReputationRep:
    longer mark answsers,
    - TLC
    - Manganate ion titration practical
    -Colorimetry, although that came up last year u can never be too careful
    - recrystalization
    -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyFoxes)
    Anyone know which experiments we should like like recrystallization.Anyone got full list of them?Normally 2 appear on ea paper imo.cheers x.
    anonymous helpful notes here that i edited a bit
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Chem A2 -edited.docx (28.3 KB, 156 views)

ReputationRep:
    I love memorising stuff but i keep forgetting how to name things looks like i will need to watch a video on drawing and naming all the f334 functional groups.

ReputationRep:
    Thx all!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAddict)
    I love memorising stuff but i keep forgetting how to name things looks like i will need to watch a video on drawing and naming all the f334 functional groups.
    yeah i have the same problem, epsecialy with ethers, ketones and aldehydes.

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to know the reactions of Benzene ? like Nitration, fiedel crafts and all that jazz ? or is that f335 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrPolish)
    Do we need to know the reactions of Benzene ? like Nitration, fiedel crafts and all that jazz ? or is that f335 ?
    They f335 bro, those sulfonation,nitration,acylation, alkylation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevintai0901)
    guys just a random question.

Are we supposed to know how to name complex ions? (eg. hexaaquacopper(II) ion). The naming rules are just killing me.
    (Original post by EggsterminateMe)
    Yes and also the colour. I ahd to do it in one of the Exam papers.
    http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic...ons/names.html
    (Original post by suyoof123)
    Yes we are,

Name the ligand/s first with the prefix for how many , then name the transition metal and depends if its negative or neutral/positive on what version of the name it will take along with the oxidation state.

Okay I just read the Salters specification because I was pretty certain we don't need to be able to name Ligands, and under Steel Story part e) the specification quotes 'use systematic nomenclature to name and interpret the names of inorganic compounds [ie copper(II) sulfide, lead(II) nitrate(V), potassium manganate(VII), not complex ions]; '.
    Therefore we do not need to name them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry just a change to the wording of my previous post, yes we should be able to name Ligands (water, ammonia etc.) but not complex ions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrPolish)
    yeah i have the same problem, epsecialy with ethers, ketones and aldehydes.
    do we need to know how to name ethers or not??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anni101)
    Yep it could come up since I've seen a past paper question asking for the name of a specific ether.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anni101)
    From what I can tell, yes and no. In F332 we're supposed, so therefore we could get a question on it, but unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    For one of the questions they asked to draw an electrochemical cell for copper and iron. The copper electrode was copper metal but the iron was platinum. Why is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mars256)
    From whathat I can tell, yes and no. In F332 we're supposed, so therefore we could get a question on it, but unlikely.
    There was a past paper question asking you to name an ether though so I wouldn't risk it. It's straightforward anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAddict)
    some help me on june 2012 5 b iii how is it a cordination number of 6 i know edta4- is a polydentate so how many bonds can it form? 6? why 6 why not 4?
    Coordination number is the number of dative covalent bonds

ReputationRep:
    Everyone eat a banana before the exam, I hate them but it's good brain food

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.