Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have been following this page for a few months now! Congratulations to everyone who has offers from Sheffield! Can I ask when your interviews were? I had an interview there on 7th December in the afternoon. I was really hoping for Sheffield as their course is more medically based and my A-levels are Chemistry, Biology and Maths, making the medical side extremely interesting for me. I have offers from Reading and Marjon so it is not all gloom! Also waiting to hear from East Anglia. Had an interview from Manchester too but pulled out as wasn't too keen really and thought I should give space up for someone who might really want to go there. I keep checking my emails manically for something from Sheffield. Just want to know where I stand! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CassiaPeach)
    Hi, I have been following this page for a few months now! Congratulations to everyone who has offers from Sheffield! Can I ask when your interviews were? I had an interview there on 7th December in the afternoon. I was really hoping for Sheffield as their course is more medically based and my A-levels are Chemistry, Biology and Maths, making the medical side extremely interesting for me. I have offers from Reading and Marjon so it is not all gloom! Also waiting to hear from East Anglia. Had an interview from Manchester too but pulled out as wasn't too keen really and thought I should give space up for someone who might really want to go there. I keep checking my emails manically for something from Sheffield. Just want to know where I stand! Thank you!
    My interview was the 12th of January. I don't think there's much rhyme and reason to what order they give out offers so I wouldn't give up hope yet! Really though, all SLT courses have to cover the same content - the woman at my interview even said to not assume their course is more medical based than others because they do need to cover the same things.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know what happens if a university has too many people putting it as their firm choice for the number of places they have e.g. they have 20 places but 35 people put it as their firm choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aria Abc)
    Does anybody know what happens if a university has too many people putting it as their firm choice for the number of places they have e.g. they have 20 places but 35 people put it as their firm choice?
    The uni has to find funding and pay for your course themselves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paigecooney20)
    The uni has to find funding and pay for your course themselves
    Does every university have to do this?

ReputationRep:
    yep, they told us at DMU, they legally have to take you on.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to everyone who got offers from Sheffield! I had my interview last Monday and still on my tiptoes whether I would receive an offer. Was so nervous as it was my first interview but the staff and other applicants were realky relaxed.

ReputationRep:
    I guess from experience they have a very good idea of the likely take up rate, so that they will only be a few too many or too short. A few Uni's last year went into clearing and the same the year before (though not the same Uni's)

Ist year part-time BCU student here (who will be with the 1st years next year). If anyone wants to know anything about the course.please ask.

Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RowanB)
    My interview was the 12th of January. I don't think there's much rhyme and reason to what order they give out offers so I wouldn't give up hope yet! Really though, all SLT courses have to cover the same content - the woman at my interview even said to not assume their course is more medical based than others because they do need to cover the same things.
    mine was on this date, afternoon though!! You definitely weren't anyone I spoke to though because everyone was talking about their other interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondering which in Manchester you had the interview and why you were not very keen, hope it's not too much of a personal question as I am having an interview at Man met in 2 weeks time. Congrats on your 2 offers, at least you know you will go somewhere this September. And fingers crossed for your Sheffield! I just had my 1st interview at Sheffield last week and have not heard anything from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galaxies)
    yep, they told us at DMU, they legally have to take you on.
    Okay, good. Just stressing out slightly

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting. Do you have any idea why the degree is called a BMedSci instead of a BSc? Also, if it's not too personal, why did you apply only to Sheffield?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sltinthemaking)
    I have a place too! I am so relieved to see that someone else got an offer too because I thought it was a mistake too!
    Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieNW)
    Hi, just wondering which in Manchester you had the interview and why you were not very keen, hope it's not too much of a personal question as I am having an interview at Man met in 2 weeks time. Congrats on your 2 offers, at least you know you will go somewhere this September. And fingers crossed for your Sheffield! I just had my 1st interview at Sheffield last week and have not heard anything from them.
    The university was Manchester, not the Met. There were a couple of reasons I canceled the interview. Firstly, I already have an offer from Reading which is the same grades as Manchester and I preferred Reading. Also, I live in the South so it was a very long way to drive. The reason I wasn't keen on Manchester was that although the university has a good reputation, the city is very big and I haven't got a lot of experience in cities. I just felt that for my first time living away from home, it wasn't ideal for me. Well done on your interview!

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting. Do you have any idea why the degree is called a BMedSci instead of a BSc? Also, if it's not too personal, why did you apply only to Sheffield?
    I'm not sure - I think they just assign that qualifcation to any of the undergrad healthcare courses. You can for example, get a BMedSci there in Health and Human Sciences which seems like a combination between health and social care and human biology - not mega sciencey. Looking at the modules, it does seem more medical focused then a lot of unis but I dont think they can differ that much.

And just distance - it's my nearest uni that offers the course and it means I can commute though i think it would have been my first choice anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky.May)
    Good luck! I had no idea how I did in the interview and it was my first one so was surprised when I got the email. I hope you get in!
    Congrats to you for getting the offer! When was your interview? The wait is so daunting, at least my interview was late cause I submitted close to the deadline. Wouldn't be able to control my nerves like Cassia

ReputationRep:
    The university was Manchester, not the Met. There were a couple of reasons I canceled the interview. Firstly, I already have an offer from Reading which is the same grades as Manchester and I preferred Reading. Also, I live in the South so it was a very long way to drive. The reason I wasn't keen on Manchester was that although the university has a good reputation, the city is very big and I haven't got a lot of experience in cities. I just felt that for my first time living away from home, it wasn't ideal for me. Well done on your interview!
    Understandable as I live in the North so wouldn't be able to commute down south too. Fingers crossed for Sheffield, yourself and myself haha!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure - I think they just assign that qualifcation to any of the undergrad healthcare courses. You can for example, get a BMedSci there in Health and Human Sciences which seems like a combination between health and social care and human biology - not mega sciencey. Looking at the modules, it does seem more medical focused then a lot of unis but I dont think they can differ that much.

And just distance - it's my nearest uni that offers the course and it means I can commute though i think it would have been my first choice anyway!
    Ah well, I'll just have to hope! I also really liked the uni as a whole as it has a great student union, lots of societies and a good reputation! Plus Sheffield is a nice city with the beautiful Peak District on its doorstep. Fingers crossed! Are you a school leaver?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieNW)
    Understandable as I live in the North so wouldn't be able to commute down south too. Fingers crossed for Sheffield, yourself and myself haha!
    Would Sheffield be your first choice?

ReputationRep:
    Ah well, I'll just have to hope! I also really liked the uni as a whole as it has a great student union, lots of societies and a good reputation! Plus Sheffield is a nice city with the beautiful Peak District on its doorstep. Fingers crossed! Are you a school leaver?
    It is a lovely place! I'm not a school leaver no, I'm 21, will be 22 when I start!! So I'm really trying to avoid halls etc haha. Are you?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.