Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How Autistic are YOU? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Regarding the Autism quiz..
    I didn't take the quiz
    6.91%
    I am FEMALE and scored in the 'NOT autistic' bracket
    28.11%
    I am FEMALE and scored in the 'POSSIBLY autistic' bracket
    4.76%
    I am FEMALE and scored in the 'LIKELY autistic' bracket
    9.83%
    I am MALE and scored in the 'NOT autistic' bracket
    33.03%
    I am MALE and scored in the 'POSSIBLY autistic' bracket
    5.99%
    I am MALE and scored in the 'LIKELY autistic' bracket
    11.37%

ReputationRep:
    got 14

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    It's an attitude of mind, you should try it some time
    Are you trying to write a rap song?

ReputationRep:
    got 32, dodged a bullet there

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NamelessPersona)
    FFS need to up my game

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    I expected it to be higher. Mostly because I don't like to make eye contact, I don't like having my routine upset, I can have a tendency to nitpick, and I'm uncomfortable around people I don't know
    Guess you manage these sorts of traits successfully. I've never been diagnosed with owt but scored a lot higher than you! :mmm:

I sometimes wonder if they can really tell the difference between Introversion, social anxiety, and mild Autism/Asperger's
    I know what you mean, and these sorts of suspicions have popped up every now and again in this thread

ReputationRep:
    I scored 45. Never been officially diagnosed with any autism spectrum disorder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Lotus)
    I see what you're getting at....
    Do you really? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    Does this accord with your sense of self? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)

silly "test".
    Silly why?

ReputationRep:
    I got 35.

Never really thought about it but looking at the definition of Autistic, I'm not surprised.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    38 :flute:

ReputationRep:

Oh well...

Posted from TSR Mobile

This test, and others like it, are intended for screening and research purposes, not diagnostic purposes. Like any screening procedure, there will be false positives and false negatives. When Baron-Cohen et al were testing this questionnaire ten or so years ago, they found that around 80% of people diagnosed with autism scored above 32, while around 2% of non-autistic controls did. Their sample size wasn't huge, though (around 60 autistic people, if memory serves). In the past few years it's faced criticism for being poorly worded, among other things.

Whatever a person's score in this quiz or others like it: if you're concerned that you may be autistic, or are struggling, then you can always talk to a GP, nurse, someone at school or uni, etc. How you experience things is more important than a test score, so if you score highly but don't feel you're struggling then you needn't think any more about it! And if you have a low score but feel you need help, then definitely talk it over with someone if you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhiifuu)
    16 :P
    Self-evidently need more autist in you :sexface:

Whee I'm on official arse burger.

As in officially and properly diagnosed.

#AutisticMasterRace

ReputationRep:
    27 Luckily I think not giving a damn around people balances out the introversion
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jimmy1669)
    This test, and others like it, are intended for screening and research purposes, not diagnostic purposes. Like any screening procedure, there will be false positives and false negatives. When Baron-Cohen et al were testing this questionnaire ten or so years ago, they found that around 80% of people diagnosed with autism scored above 32, while around 2% of non-autistic controls did. Their sample size wasn't huge, though (around 60 autistic people, if memory serves). In the past few years it's faced criticism for being poorly worded, among other things.

Whatever a person's score in this quiz or others like it: if you're concerned that you may be autistic, or are struggling, then you can always talk to a GP, nurse, someone at school or uni, etc. How you experience things is more important than a test score, so if you score highly but don't feel you're struggling then you needn't think any more about it! And if you have a low score but feel you need help, then definitely talk it over with someone if you can.
    As well as this, it's also important to remember there's a lot of cross over in symptoms between Autism and other conditions. I was told I'm a lot harder to diagnose (we did get there - there's only so much that can be explained by other stuff) because of the other diagnoses I have. I, for example, can't do eye contact. But I also can't physically look straight ahead and my eyes constantly move, which makes looking at someone really difficult.

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    As well as this, it's also important to remember there's a lot of cross over in symptoms between Autism and other conditions. I was told I'm a lot harder to diagnose (we did get there - there's only so much that can be explained by other stuff) because of the other diagnoses I have. I, for example, can't do eye contact. But I also can't physically look straight ahead and my eyes constantly move, which makes looking at someone really difficult.
    Yes, I was difficult to diagnose too initially, because while I have Asperger's I can maintain eye contact, and also because I also have clinical depression and anxiety, which is where many of the crossover symptoms are.

ReputationRep:
    25 despite having a lot of autistic traits. Possibly due to answering slightly on lots of questions.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.