18.17%
I dont know :') (40)
2.91%
sgunjal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi my daughter is reapplying to medical school this year and I'm a bit unsure about what the next step forward is. She is currently thinking about taking a gap year but I was wondering whether taking bio med through clearing is a more suitable option?
cookiemonster15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sgunjal)
Hi my daughter is reapplying to medical school this year and I'm a bit unsure about what the next step forward is. She is currently thinking about taking a gap year but I was wondering whether taking bio med through clearing is a more suitable option?
Hey, I would suggest she just takes a gap year and tried again if she really wants to do medicine. Transferring in the first year is very rare and going to med through the graduate route is extremely hard, there's nothing wrong with taking a gap year as she can use that time to gain more work experience.
Meddimom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My daughter got in after doing a biomedical science degree. She has written a book on how and what to do. Look out for it on Amazon in a month or so. It is called MAKE MEDICAL SCHOOL GIVE YOU A PLACE
ForestCat
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sgunjal)
If she gets AAA, she should take a gap year and reapply. Definitely don't take up biomed through clearing (graduate entry medicine is more competitive and more expensive).
She could gain more work experience, gain life experience and get a job or travel during the gap year. I think gap years and reapplying are always the best option, as long as you have the grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kozmo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by katrusse)
GCSEs - 8 A*s, 2As 1B (English Lang... i know...)

AS Levels - Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths and EPQ, all of which I'm predicted an A for. I think i will drop Physics next year as i hate the new spec.

Work experience / Voluntary - 2 hours a week for a year at a Day Centre for Mentally Disabled Adults, 2 hours a week for a year volunteering at a Nursery. GP shadowing. A week in the Renal Dialysis unit. 3 Debate Chamber Medicine weekends. MedLink conference. Introduction to Medicine course.

Extra Curricular- Gold Dofe, Academic Challenge (kindof like University Challange), Debating, Choir, 1st Team Netball. Medical/Biology Society.

Hobbies- Swimming (Great North Swim) , Cooking

Potential universities providing I achieve what I wish to achieve:
Edinburgh, Newcastle, Birmingham (?) and St Andrews/Exeter

I am an academic scholar at a very sporty school and compared to others in my year my results are very good.. do universities look at your results compared to your school?
First of all, your application as it stands looks very impressive, plenty of extra-currical activities and the like!

And yes, Universities take into account what they call 'Contextual data', in other words: your grades compared to your area (socio-economic status) and the general ability of your school / sixth form. More information about this can be found on the majority of University websites under something like 'contextual data applicants' - some (in fact most) have a specific system which alerts them that you may need contextual consideration and then they use this accordingly in the application process.

I am in a similar process as yourself, as relative to my school my results are much stronger than they first appear (in the least arrogant way possible) as my school is a particularly low performer.
neil20143
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by clairebear101)
i agree, actually it gives us a disadvantage as we have a lot less time to write a personal statement and practice for ukcat and Bmat, we work our butt off just to get predicted grades where as some people have have all this time to do what we have to rush over summer bec they arent doing the AS's and just get given thier predicted gradees
Not necessarily, in fact you guys are at more of an advantage as your predicted grades will be more representative. Most students will be given the mock papers done by the board anyways.
medsch_1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does anyone know which medical schools accept module resits?

I'm thinking of resitting my core 1 exam for maths. I think next year ill be more than capable of achieving 100% so may be doing it even if i do get an A at AS to make getting that A* easier
cookiemonster15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rhaq)

I'm thinking of resitting my core 1 exam for maths. I think next year ill be more than capable of achieving 100% so may be doing it even if i do get an A at AS to make getting that A* easier
I think some allow you to resit a maximum of one module for each subject you take
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rhaq)

You need to average 90 ums across C3 and C4 for an A* if I were you, if I got an A in AS, I'd just focus on smashing C3, and in particular, C4 rather than stress about C1. In you get a B though, maybe you should think about resetting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
andrewhyde
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi guys, what is the best way to prepare for interviews and make a personal statement?

Any one have any tips? et?

Thanks
andrewhyde
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know that once our exams finish, we should start thinking about writing our personal statements, UKCAT, and interview prep.

I know interviews is my weak point, what should I do to start prep?
I know some unis have interviews in December, so we technically don't have much time after we have given out personal statements in!!!
cookiemonster15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by andrewhyde)
I know that once our exams finish, we should start thinking about writing our personal statements, UKCAT, and interview prep.

I know interviews is my weak point, what should I do to start prep?
I know some unis have interviews in December, so we technically don't have much time after we have given out personal statements in!!!
It depends on the uni but I literally had two weeks notice before my interview! I would say just prep for the interview by looking at questions they might ask, think about scenarios that could be given (as some uni's with MMI also have a role play station) and have some mock interviews- this could be with friends/family/teachers, just make sure that they give you back some feedback so you know where to work on!

Me and my friend both did this thing where we gave each other mock interviews (for different courses) and we treated it like the real thing, but during the interview whoever was interviewing the other made a table of 'things did well' and 'things to improve on' so that was quite helpful
HopelessMedic
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How should you go about selecting unis to go and see? Should you go and visit everyone which you meet their criteria for or just the ones you like the look of?
cookiemonster15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HopelessMedic)
How should you go about selecting unis to go and see? Should you go and visit everyone which you meet their criteria for or just the ones you like the look of?
Definitely more of which ones you meet the criteria.
username2724940
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys I'm an Irish student looking to apply for medicine in the UK. Can you guys tell me what unis don't really care about the GCSEs (my equivalent would be the Junior Certificate), because my results aren't exactly excellent. I will be predicted top grades for the Leaving Certificate so I'm fine in that area. I'm taking my UKCAT next month. I'm preparing with the 1000 UKCAT questions book and I definitely recommend it. I'm also going to the UKCAT crash course soon in London. Hopefully I'll get somewhere over 700 so they ignore my Junior Cert results 😅

My uni choices are:
1. University of Glasgow (because it's a good uni and I don't think they look at Junior Cert results but mostly because it's free for me as an EU student)
2. Kings College
3. QMUL
4. Undecided, probably HYMS or Uni of Southampton.

I'd appreciate if any of you can explain the selection process for Glasgow and Southampton because I can't get much from their website. Also, I've heard there's a new tariff system for 2017 so people applying to QMUL heads up!

If anyone wants to apply to medicine in the Republic of Ireland then just let me know, I'll tell you all about it.
Moodicrus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by SmokedSalman)
Hey guys I'm an Irish student looking to apply for medicine in the UK. Can you guys tell me what unis don't really care about the GCSEs (my equivalent would be the Junior Certificate), because my results aren't exactly excellent. I will be predicted top grades for the Leaving Certificate so I'm fine in that area. I'm taking my UKCAT next month. I'm preparing with the 1000 UKCAT questions book and I definitely recommend it. I'm also going to the UKCAT crash course soon in London. Hopefully I'll get somewhere over 700 so they ignore my Junior Cert results 😅

My uni choices are:
1. University of Glasgow (because it's a good uni and I don't think they look at Junior Cert results but mostly because it's free for me as an EU student)
2. Kings College
3. QMUL
4. Undecided, probably HYMS or Uni of Southampton.

I'd appreciate if any of you can explain the selection process for Glasgow and Southampton because I can't get much from their website. Also, I've heard there's a new tariff system for 2017 so people applying to QMUL heads up!

If anyone wants to apply to medicine in the Republic of Ireland then just let me know, I'll tell you all about it.
It depends how 'not excellent' your Junior Cert grades are. To an extent, some universities don't really look at GCSEs ( provided you meet the minimum) e.g. Imperial. The qualifications/predictions this year ( like a levels and UKCAT) would be more important.
Glasgow (Integrated/PBL): 'UKCAT is considered an important part of the application despite there being no cut-off value'
Southampton (Integrated): 'Score of 2500 and above to be considered, although this may change'.

Both unis use panel interviews to the best of my knowledge but its worth emailing them if you want to find out more

If you are worried about grades then its worth looking into some really good foundation courses. People complain because its an extra year, but I think its a small sacrifice if ou really wanna do medicine: http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students...nicalyear.aspx
Last edited by Moodicrus; 2 years ago
username2724940
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Moodicrus)
It depends how 'not excellent' your Junior Cert grades are. To an extent, some universities don't really look at GCSEs ( provided you meet the minimum) e.g. Imperial. The qualifications/predictions this year ( like a levels and UKCAT) would be more important.
Glasgow (Integrated/PBL): 'UKCAT is considered an important part of the application despite there being no cut-off value'
Southampton (Integrated): 'Score of 2500 and above to be considered, although this may change'.

Both unis use panel interviews to the best of my knowledge but its worth emailing them if you want to find out more

If you are worried about grades then its worth looking into some really good foundation courses. People complain because its an extra year, but I think its a small sacrifice if ou really wanna do medicine: http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students...nicalyear.aspx
Thanks a million! I did email a couple of unis a while ago but they all replied with either the old requirements or said that they would update the website 'soon'. I'll send another email to them next month if they haven't updated. I know Kings has updated their requirements and I meet all of them so far (bar the UKCAT since I haven't taken it yet). I've tried emailing Hull York but they haven't replied. And it has been a hell of a lot of time. I'm leaning more towards Southampton since HYMS puts a lot of emphasis on GCSE.

I've heard the foundation courses require non-science subjects though so would I still qualify?
Christina1999H
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just out of curiosity, would it have a massive effect on my medical application if I did A level history instead of maths? (Along with Chem and bio Ofc)

And will I need that level of maths in chemistry or further on in a medical degree? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
ForestCat
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Christina1999H)
Just out of curiosity, would it have a massive effect on my medical application if I did A level history instead of maths? (Along with Chem and bio Ofc)

And will I need that level of maths in chemistry or further on in a medical degree? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
It won't have any effect at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GabbytheGreek_48
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys i got 3 A* s bout 5 As 2Bs and a merit in Ict
Doing Biology Chemistry Maths and Spanish
I'm thinking about Keele Newcastle and Nottingham not sure though ill see after my AS results and what my teachers predict me.
I know based on most people here and a lot of people that for medicine these grades aren't the best I am still applying and see how it goes
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (218)
91.98%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (19)
8.02%

Watched Threads