The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No, I'll let him dress up as a Queen! :biggrin:
I would 110% because I would just want my kid to be happy. I don't care what they want to wear, they could wear the biggest puffiest pinkest dress I can find it they wanted to.
Absolutely disgusted that someone would even rep that vile thing.
Original post by 41b
Alright, from now on you're only allowed to wear grey overalls, have your hair cut short and wear no makeup. :smile:

I wear whatever makes me feel comfortable. If a boy finds wearing girl clothes comfortable, nothing should stop him from doing that
Reply 344
No, never.. it just doesn't seem right
I would then when he gets brutally bullied for it he will learn.
Original post by ivybridge

Precisely, "on the ground of the equality of the sexes." Can you not read now? :mmm:

It is there to promote the gaining of rights women do not have and men do. Men don't need a campaign for their rights, we already ****ing have them all. Why is this SO hard to understand?

Cite one right in law or even in society men have that women don't.

This definition of feminism is oxymoronic because advocacy of the rights of women no longer moves us towards equality; it moves us further away from it.
Original post by scrotgrot
Cite one right in law or even in society men have that women don't.

This definition of feminism is oxymoronic because advocacy of the rights of women no longer moves us towards equality; it moves us further away from it.

But it doesn't? Women are still discriminated against in a variety of ways and I personally see feminism now as a movement towards changing attitudes and I would agree with you that on a political and legal level, objectives have already been achieved and it is now unnecessary (IN THAT SENSE). I was never arguing that men have it and women don't. You should work on actually reading everything.
I'd let my child wear whatever takes their fancy.

My son can be a princess, my daughter can be a knight, and I can be the fearsome dragon. :biggrin:

That's the fun part about dressing up; you have the freedom to let your imagination run wild, to be happy and comfortable.
Be beautiful, be kind, be hilarious, be badass, because there's nothing more satisfying than becoming the you that you want to be.
If I could pass one message onto my children, it would be that.

I'm deeply saddened by the number of hurtful comments in this thread. It's all ignorance. All of it.

A homophobic person can't see past the physical side of a same-sex relationship. They look at two consenting adults and they only ever see "two men" or "two women". It's so much more than that. It's two people who love each other dearly, who care for each other and make each other happy.

Heterosexual, homosexual, pansexual, asexual, transsexual... No matter what you identify as; if you're reading this, I want you to pay close attention to what I'm about to say.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with you.
The world is your oyster and, if you're lucky enough to find your pearl, then bless you. Cherish every moment you have with him or her.

Oh and for the record; I used to wear the stereotypical clothing for my gender. Now guess what? I'm about as straight as a piece of curly-whirly pasta. :wink:
edit: I still wouldn't let my son dress up as a princess, unless he was really young or it was obviously a joke.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella

edit: I still wouldn't let my son dress up as a princess, unless he was really young or it was obviously a joke.

May I ask why you wouldn't? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
May I ask why you wouldn't? :smile:

I'm not really sure.

A general sense that I'd like to raise my son as a man (unless he turns out to have genuine, diagnosable gender issues). He doesn't have to be a 'lad', but I'd also rather not raise a meek child who spends a lot of his time playing with colourful ponies etc. It may be that that connection isn't very well-established, but that's my gut feeling. Also some sense that I'd rather he wasn't picked on.

Of course, I'm not actually a father, so I have no idea what I'd really do in the situation. It may be that it just totally wouldn't be a big deal.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I'm not really sure.

A general sense that I'd like to raise my son as a man (unless he turns out to have genuine, diagnosable gender issues). He doesn't have to be a 'lad', but I'd also rather not raise a meek child who spends a lot of his time playing with colourful ponies etc. It may be that that connection isn't very well-established, but that's my gut feeling. Also some sense that I'd rather he wasn't picked on.

Of course, I'm not actually a father, so I have no idea what I'd really do in the situation. It may be that it just totally wouldn't be a big deal.

Hmm... fair enough... I guess. I mean I disagree with the whole raising your son like a man thing (not to say you should raise him like a woman either though) but I respect your opinion and I do identify massively and agree with the reason regarding bullying and so on.
I would think it would be the most adorable thing ever :biggrin: and I will proceed to take pictures of him so I can embarrass him in the future. :colone:

Original post by Banana00
Of course I would - as a previous poster said, surely dressing up is all about having fun while being someone/something different for a day?

If he were a young child, I would have absolutely no doubts whatsoever. If he were aged above ten or so, I would still have no problem with it, however I would be concerned in case he was mocked by anybody or anybody made it seem weird.

All in all, he could dress as whatever he wanted, however if he were a little older where other children are more likely to care then I would want to ensure that he would understand that other children might find it odd.

I agree strongly :smile:
Reply 354
Original post by ivy.98
I wear whatever makes me feel comfortable. If a boy finds wearing girl clothes comfortable, nothing should stop him from doing that

No you don't. You wear what makes you feel good about yourself - what gets you male attention. It has nothing to do with how comfortable you are. If that were the case, you would wear overalls and not waste your time with makeup.

A boy will grow up to be a Man and if he expects to be taken seriously then he should dress like that. You are a girl and you dress like a woman so that you are taken seriously as a woman.
Original post by 41b
No you don't. You wear what makes you feel good about yourself - what gets you male attention. It has nothing to do with how comfortable you are. If that were the case, you would wear overalls and not waste your time with makeup.

A boy will grow up to be a Man and if he expects to be taken seriously (by you) then he should dress like that. You are a girl and you dress like a woman so that you are taken seriously as a woman.

Don't tell people what they do and don't do - you don't even know them.

See the edit. People differ. I have Agender and Trans friends who wear opposite sex clothing and it completely suits them.

Do not presume that your attitude is the right one and the one everyone should adhere to. People disagree and I am one of them.
Original post by DedicatedWizard
I would think it would be the most adorable thing ever :biggrin: and I will proceed to take pictures of him so I can embarrass him in the future. :colone:

I agree strongly :smile:

I dressed both my brothers up as fairy princesses for blackmail material/ to show to future partners.

It is the duty of every older sister to embarrass her younger brothers for her own amusement. It is also the most fun thing imaginable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 357
I don't understand how someone would want to control their own child and not let them dress up how they want. Of course I would let my son dress up as a princess. Screw gender roles.
Reply 358
Don't tell people what they do and don't do - you don't even know them.

See the edit. People differ. I have Agender and Trans friends who wear opposite sex clothing and it completely suits them.

Do not presume that your attitude is the right one and the one everyone should adhere to. People disagree and I am one of them.

I'll do as I please.

As for what you've said, few people take cross-dressers seriously. My post explained why I wouldn't allow my son to wear a princess outfit.

You are intruding in that discussion with your ill-placed post regarding sexuality. What I let my child wear has little to do with your homosexuality/transgenderism focus.

I often find strange and disturbing how homosexuals and pro-homosexuals insert sexuality into this discussion about what a child will wear - for people who generally believe that their sexual orientation is nature, rather than nurture, there seems to be an odd focus by some homosexuals on introducing effeminate concepts to boys as at early an age as possible.

If we're born gay, why not let boys be boys, and girls be girls, until they are old enough to realise what they are? :wink:
Original post by 41b

A boy will grow up to be a Man and if he expects to be taken seriously then he should dress like that. You are a girl and you dress like a woman so that you are taken seriously as a woman.

I tend to wear rather unusual clothes. They don't get me male attention because they aren't particularly sexy. I don't care. I don't wear makeup. The clothes I wear make me feel comfortable. I don't feel at ease with myself when I wear fashionable clothes. I feel like I'm dressing up as someone else. I put on an ankle length purple dress and I feel like me.

Equally, when I wear boys jumpers, I feel like myself the way that I don't when I wear something like this.

http://fabfashionfix.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/AG16338.jpg
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest