x Turn on thread page Beta

Ask the TSR Government - 22nd Parliament watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    Personally I believe that it's 'desperate stuff.'
    I believe it is just an attempt to " scare " the British people... which wont lead to anything however you must agree this is a threat to our national security and some government action must be taken ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Why do you want statements so badly? If you want us to say something join the CC and create a well thought out crisis for us to make a statement to. These videos and now once every week and it's old news,
    I am a member of the CC and I have made a crisis that will be submitted in a few weeks ! However when something threatens national security government action must be taken .... Oh I forgot this government doesn't care about national service..... my bad
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Why do you want statements so badly? If you want us to say something join the CC and create a well thought out crisis for us to make a statement to. These videos and now once every week and it's old news,
    Because the last one demonstrated this so well :rolleyes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    I believe it is just an attempt to " scare " the British people... which wont lead to anything however you must agree this is a threat to our national security and some government action must be taken ?
    I couldn't agree less. This is a video that hasn't even been verified. Just because the losers of this battle are crying about it does not mean that they are any more a threat to us.

Personally, I feel that the government must only take action when we have genuine intelligence, which is exactly what this isn't. Anything else is a waste of time and money.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I couldn't agree less. This is a video that hasn't even been verified. Just because the losers of this battle are crying about it does not mean that they are any more a threat to us.

Personally, I feel that the government must only take action when we have genuine intelligence, which is exactly what this isn't. Anything else is a waste of time and money.
    But the video makes direct threats to the UK ? Regardless of how likely it is ..... A threat is a threat and a threat must be dealt with !
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Because the last one demonstrated this so well :rolleyes:
    That was my point.... There is literally no other reason why I would have included that line unless I was hinting that...
    I am a member of the CC and I have made a crisis that will be submitted in a few weeks ! However when something threatens national security government action must be taken .... Oh I forgot this government doesn't care about national service..... my bad
    There is a point when someone makes the same threat at least once a week but doesn't do anything to back up their actions that it doesn't demand an urgent responce. We do care about the security of the citizens but all we can really say is 'if you are so strong attack us and see how badly you fail' because the government shouldn't need to make a statement once a week saying 'they won't win'.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But the video makes direct threats to the UK ? Regardless of how likely it is ..... A threat is a threat and a threat must be dealt with !
    And it's exactly that sort of school playground style foreign policy that ends up with soldiers dying, which I intend to avoid as much as I can. As I say again, I would be against any change in course of action as of yet as I do not see this as anything other than a bit of hyperbole.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And it's exactly that sort of school playground style foreign policy that ends up with soldiers dying, which I intend to avoid as much as I can. As I say again, I would be against any change in course of action as of yet as I do not see this as anything other than a bit of hyperbole.
    When did I mention soilders or the armed forces ?
    And let say there was an attack in the UK from this video ? . ( Touchwood - never happens ) then what ? its seems to me the government ( RL ) only takes action when its to late !
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    And let say there was an attack in the UK from this video ? . ( Touchwood - never happens ) then what ? its seems to me the government ( RL ) only takes action when its to late !
    We'll act on serious intelligence from our own and our allies' intelligence services.

ReputationRep:
    I am Guy Fawkes reincarnated.

ReputationRep:
    This is so sad!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_snorter)
    This is so sad!!!
    Well so are you mate, you took time out of your day to log into a student website, go onto a thread relating to something you're not involved in and don't care about, and comment on how sad you think it is.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I refer you to the comments of the Prime Minister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_snorter)
    This is so sad!!!
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Well so are you mate, you took time out of your day to log into a student website, go onto a thread relating to something you're not involved in and don't care about, and comment on how sad you think it is.
    To rephrase:

**** off you prick.

ReputationRep:
    Will the government be making a statement on the situation in Saudi Arabia and Iran ?
    I can't speak for the whole government, but personally, I don't feel that it's our place to interfere.
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I'm inclined to agree, and I certainly don't feel that it's helpful to take sides in this disagreement.
    I would hope that the government will condemn the death penalty and the executions which have taken place in Saudi Arabia. The House has on every occasion over the last 50 years that it has been asked to reintroduce the death penalty in the UK voted by a considerable margin against bringing it back.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I would hope that the government will condemn the death penalty and the executions which have taken place in Saudi Arabia. The House has on every occasion over the last 50 years that it has been asked to reintroduce the death penalty in the UK voted by a considerable margin against bringing it back.
    These executions are quite a sensitive issue, Nimr's execution in particular. Whilst we should condemn the death penalty we should also be using our stance in the world to reach a diplomatic solution to the ever increasing tensions between Iran and Saudi Arabia (so neutrality is important).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    And quite rightly did the House vote that way.

I am more than happy to condemn the use of the death penalty and the brutal methods used by Saudi Arabia in carrying out executions. However, I will not be taking sides in a Sunni-Shia dispute between Iran and Saudi Arabia.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

I am more than happy to condemn the use of the death penalty and the brutal methods used by Saudi Arabia in carrying out executions. However, I will not be taking sides in a Sunni-Shia dispute between Iran and Saudi Arabia.
    Hear Hear!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Hear hear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    To rephrase:

**** off you prick.
    Oh no, that's not very nice now is it?
    But you realise that this isn't real don't you?! Nothing you say makes any difference to anyone or anything!
    It is quite amusing reading all of your silly little comments, and far less sad than writing them myself.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.