Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    I think I'm a big dog? Hahaha...

Outside its Maths/Econ and a few other courses, Warwick is not in the top 6 - that's for sure. No matter how hard Warwick students try to sell themselves.

The very fact that you rely on tables as a measure of reputation just shows your own limited knowledge knowledge. Surrey was, the other year, higher than Imperial for Maths, so it MUST be true, eh?

For IB? Yes, Warwick is pretty good. For consulting? Good too, but to a much lesser extent. Oxbridge dominate here, followed by LSE. For law, it's no better than Exeter, to give an example.

Please.
    Can't help but agree.

ReputationRep:
    I asked you a question: Surrey was above Imperial here. Do you think Surrey is a better uni than Imperial?

Being an alumnus (alum is a chemical compound) means that you studied there. It changes nothing in terms of needing to improve your university's image.

And I am sure you do - as is evident from your reliance on domestic tables.
    I abbreviated a word, I think it's getting pretty desperate.

It will serve you well in life and your studies if you make judgements based on empirical evidence. Our friend has already shown you how law firms recruit.

I think there is no more to be said, wish you good day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newcastle456)
    I abbreviated a word, I think it's getting pretty desperate.

It will serve you well in life and your studies if you make judgements based on empirical evidence. Our friend has already shown you how law firms recruit.

I think there is no more to be said, wish you good day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You did not - let's be honest here.

Well, you can believe whatever you want. If you think Warwick is better than LSE and UCL just because these rankings say so, I refuse to accept you have a single idea of how the market works.

Peace.

ReputationRep:
    You did not - let's be honest here.

Well, you can believe whatever you want. If you think Warwick is better than LSE and UCL just because these rankings say so, I refuse to accept you have a single idea of how the market works.

Peace.
    Look back to my earlier post about being an Economics alumnus if it makes you happy, the time is on the post.

That's your choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    It's a pretty good guide, and in my opinion an accurate representation..

From speaking to a fair number of recruiters in the London legal sector, this is how they 'bucketed' out universities for representation and where they recruit/receive most applications from - not in order:

Bucket 1
    - Cambridge
    - Oxford

Bucket 2
    - Bristol
    - Durham
    - LSE
    - KCL
    - Manchester (possibly)
    - Nottingham
    - UCL
    - Warwick

Bucket 3
    - Birmingham
    - Exeter
    - Leeds
    - Sheffield
    - QMUL
    - etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm, that's pretty contrary to my experience.

I'd argue it's -

Bucket 1- Cambridge- Oxford
    Bucket 2- Bristol- Durham- LSE- KCL- Nottingham- UCL
    Bucket 3- Birmingham- Exeter- Manchester- Warwick- QMUL.
    And so on.

I've been to three insight days thus far, and while they are not openly talking about this, you can see the numbers.

When I went to Shearman's Head Start, there was just 1 (out of about 35) from Warwick, having studied Economics (in fact, the two trainees that gave us a presentation on a case study were both from Exeter)

At Burges Salmon, there was none from Warwick.
    Same at a CMS.

ReputationRep:
    Look back to my earlier post about being an Economics alumnus if it makes you happy, the time is on the post.

That's your choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not going to bother - alum is not in any way an abbreviation of the word alumnus (not even the gender agrees).

But this is off-topic.

ReputationRep:
    It's a pretty good guide, and in my opinion an accurate representation..

From speaking to a fair number of recruiters in the London legal sector, this is how they 'bucketed' out universities for representation and where they recruit/receive most applications from - not in order:

Bucket 1
    - Cambridge
    - Oxford

Bucket 2
    - Bristol
    - Durham
    - LSE
    - KCL
    - Manchester (possibly)
    - Nottingham
    - UCL
    - Warwick

Bucket 3
    - Birmingham
    - Exeter
    - Leeds
    - Sheffield
    - QMUL
    - etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it's pretty obvious what's going on here. He's an Exeter student desperate to promote it.

Exeter is good for law, but being someone who doesn't follow evidence, I'd be pretty mortified if he was my representative.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Come on, you know better than this. Warwick's law school is by no means special. Just look at the staff who teach there -- it's very weak. They manage to bring in decent AAA students owning largely to the uni's international IB rep, but that's where the success of the school stems from. A whole range of mathmos and econs no doubt switch to the and this increases overall uptake, but it's pretty daft to suggest its LLB somehow special. It is most definitely not.

The university is very good; just be happy with that. You don't have to argue that it's elite where it's not.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty obvious what's going on here. He's an Exeter student desperate to promote it.

Exeter is good for law, but being someone who doesn't follow evidence, I'd be pretty mortified if he was my representative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He's a Bristol law student with no ties to Exeter. Maybe he's not simply biased but rather someone who knows what they're talking about?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hmm, that's pretty contrary to my experience.

I'd argue it's -

Bucket 1- Cambridge- Oxford
    Bucket 2- Bristol- Durham- LSE- KCL- Nottingham- UCL
    Bucket 3- Birmingham- Exeter- Manchester- Warwick- QMUL.
    And so on.

I've been to three insight days thus far, and while they are not openly talking about this, you can see the numbers.

When I went to Shearman's Head Start, there was just 1 (out of about 35) from Warwick, having studied Economics (in fact, the two trainees that gave us a presentation on a case study were both from Exeter)

At Burges Salmon, there was none from Warwick.
    Same at a CMS.
    Ok, so you went to 2 firms and now you've deduced that Warwick is in the tier below?

I've spoken to recruiters at CC, S&M, LL, FF, Latham, Weil, etc and they all firmly place Warwick in the 2nd bucket. Spent a week at CC for one of their early insight programmes and the ratio of Warwick students resembled the other bucket 2s, not the bucket 3s.

Even just a cursory glance at the sponsors for Warwick's Law division within WFS, or the on-campus events vs other bucket 3s would point out how ridiculous placing them in the same group would be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He's not an Exeter student (Bristol actually), but he does seem to have a vendetta against Warwick..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so you went to 2 firms and now you've deduced that Warwick is in the tier below?

I've spoken to recruiters at CC, S&M, LL, FF, Latham, Weil, etc and they all firmly place Warwick in the 2nd bucket. Spent a week at CC for one of their early insight programmes and the ratio of Warwick students resembled the other bucket 2s, not the bucket 3s.

Even just a cursory glance at the sponsors for Warwick's Law division within WFS, or the on-campus events vs other bucket 3s would point out how ridiculous placing them in the same group would be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Every half-decent law society, or society vaguely associated with law, gets money thrown at them by law firms.

Trust me.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Firstly, I've been to three firms PERSONALLY. Who said I haven't spoken to recruiters themselves? Obviously I haven't asked them to give me lists - who would? I spoke to them generally.

And are you seriously telling me that those firms gave you exact lists of buckets? Each of those firms? C'mon man...

Erm, how exactly does Warwick have more events than Exeter, to mention 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Candor)
    Massively Overrated:Nottingham
    Underrated: Birmingham
    Dude, Nottingham is literally one of the worse schools possible. Birmingham is better in almost every aspect aside from a few. IMO Birmingham is def a top 10 uni while Notts languishes around 50th place

ReputationRep:
    He's not an Exeter student (Bristol actually), but he does seem to have a vendetta against Warwick..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Vendetta? Wtf lol.

You're trying to tell me that Warwick is not elevated to heaven by all Warwick students? Please...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnDoeThanks)
    Dude, Nottingham is literally one of the worse schools possible. Birmingham is better in almost every aspect aside from a few. IMO Birmingham is def a top 10 uni while Notts languishes around 50th place
    Sure sure :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    "Pretty obvious" indeed.

ReputationRep:
    "Pretty obvious" indeed.
    We're happy to have you, bud.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Firstly, I've been to three firms PERSONALLY. Who said I haven't spoken to recruiters themselves? Obviously I haven't asked them to give me lists - who would? I spoke to them generally.

And are you seriously telling me that those firms gave you exact lists of buckets? Each of those firms? C'mon man...

Erm, how exactly does Warwick have more events than Exeter, to mention 1?
    Yes, because they have dedicated recruiters for each 'set' of universities they focus most of their recruiting efforts on. You forget as well that they have data from previous Vac Scheme/Trainee cohorts to draw from too... All of this can be gathered if you have the right ins/contacts.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to sit and count every single event from both but it's pretty obvious the magnitude of events is greater at Warwick. They have both a Law society that holds events, and a commercial law society within the finance society that holds their own events too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nameless Ghoul)
    We're happy to have you, bud.
    Thanks man

[You're being progressively kinder to me btw ]

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.