Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    no its completely unfair and should not be allowed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcsestudent3856)
    So what's the point in taking exams? If it's not testing everyone's abilities? They are getting helped, so there's no point in taking exams if they get help.
    so what should they be left while others get to go uni because they do not have a disability. please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oreoprincess)
    You have to consider what the student with extra time has to go thorugh in order to answer the exam questions. For you and every other student may think that giving extra time is wrong and unfair, but its not, because think about what the student is going through, the struggle and sometimes even pain they have to go through just to answer questions which you and I can do with greater ease. Granted, some may take advantage of this, but many are genuinely in need of extra time because they do not have the ability to do the exam like everyone else. They do not have power over what they have, they cannot help the fact that its hard to either read, understand or simply write the answer. For us extra time may be unfair, but for many it is fighting themselves in order to succeed.
    Well I'm just saying that it's unfair because everyone are fighting to succeed and everyone struggles in their exam. If they struggle, then they should accept it and be like everyone else. Because I really don't think this is fair.

ReputationRep:
    For some, yes.
    Others who get it the week before the exam, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salty670)
    no its completely unfair and should not be allowed
    Agreed !
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Well I'm just saying that it's unfair because everyone are fighting to succeed and everyone struggles in their exam. If they struggle, then they should accept it and be like everyone else. Because I really don't think this is fair.
    Your struggles as a non-disabled student are completely different. You just sound bitter.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is because it aims to level the playing field. There are very few other situations other than exams where you will be forced to write an essay in say an hour or so, so saying you wouldn't get extra time after that isn't applicable. Most employers would be willing to make reasonable adjustments for you to do your work and at university you can get things like extra time or something like a cover to excuse your spelling (if you are dyslexic).

Some people abuse the system but that doesn't mean the system is wrong, it means that it just needs some work. I get a live speaker for my languages exams because my hearing isn't great, whilst it is an advantage over others (they speak much slower than the tape), I do need it. My brain takes a lot longer to process sound and by the time I've figured out the answer I've missed out three questions. It allows me to get the grade I'm capable of.

Just because someone struggles to put their thoughts on paper it doesn't mean that they don't deserve the chance to get the A* or whatever they studied for, just like everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Oh you are completely right, like those people who lie about not being able to walk? they don't need wheelchairs, I don't think it's fair everyone struggles to walk sometimes they should accept it and be like everyone else

ReputationRep:
    But its not just given freely to anyone who bothers the deciding board, which seems to be how a lot of people see it. There's a very selective decision process, so you can't just scam your way into getting it not everyone who applies gets it - they do stick to the rules to make it fair. I'm not going to get into the whole mental health conversation because I don't know enough about it, but I do know that you can't just write off extra time as unfair or unfairly given, because you probably don't know, as well as the experts who wrote the rules do, what's going on inside people's heads and how its going to affect them. If a person has weak joints in their wrist, they may get extra time because they write slowly, and a lot of people understand that. If a person has a mental 'weakness', they may get extra time because they think more slowly, and people don't seem to think its a similar problem, which I think is where people begin to question it because its not 'proven' to them.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who has attention deficit disorder I can safely say writing speed can vary among those with the condition. The matter lies your cognitive ability (Mine's in the bottom 25% of the population).
    It affects how you articulate the answer and as the name suggest your attention/focus on the answer, which means going off topic and jumping from one idea to the other with little thought. It is a legitimate reason to have extra time, to level it out.
    As for people who have a 'sore hand' and are 'slow writers' I have never even hear of until now, so whether that's even an actual condition where you can get extra time i'm not too sure - However they're could be an underlying reason. Also I'm pretty sure there are people who don't 'need' it but I haven't really encountered any.

This topic has just given way to invalid criticism of those who do get extra time in exams and those who are blatantly bitter they don't. Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have academic excellence in their school?

ReputationRep:
    I was generally quite shocked at the how most people think extra time is unfair. I agree that too many people have it for smaller reasons which don't really affect their exams. But some people do need it.

I have epilepsy, and if I get a seizure during an exam, I would be allowed extra time. If you think that that's unfair, you're being ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think it's perfectly acceptable. It's fine for those that really need it, due to disability or some serious illness at the time, but for those that are supposedly dyslexic when they aren't, shouldn't get more time. I suffer from IBS and during times of exams (now) i get awfully stressed and anxious about everything, making my IBS worse. The pain of it can be so bad in exams it makes it difficult to concentrate. I dont get extra time myself but i might get special consideration as having IBS can really muck up exams for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crème brûlée)
    I was generally quite shocked at the how most people think extra time is unfair. I agree that too many people have it for smaller reasons which don't really affect their exams. But some people do need it.

I have epilepsy, and if I get a seizure during an exam, I would be allowed extra time. If you think that that's unfair, you're being ridiculous.
    I know it's ridiculous. I don't see how some people can be so insensitive to other peoples problems. It's perfectly right for you to get extra time and you really deserve it if you need it.

ReputationRep:
    I get extra time, honestly yeah it helps a lot. I'm dyslexic, and so it takes me a while to actually read the question and then my writing speed is appalling. and to all of you saying "oh yeah well its unfair, they just get to chill knowing they're on a longer time limit", it really doesnt work like that. We still get that fear of looking at the clock 5 minutes before the exam is over and barely halfway through the paper.

Also, its only 25%. In the science exams, that's an extra 15 minutes, so yeah its time to do that last question we may not have been able to get started on, but others have. It levels out the playing field. That's like saying special consideration is unfair, if you're gonna use that messed up logic

ReputationRep:
    Look, I totally get where most people are coming from. It sucks seeing people with extra time if you don't finish your exam. But take it from my perspective.

I have motor tics. Meaning I twitch my face continuously. I also cannot control my left hand and my right hand is quite weak. Its too early to say but I am currently under investigation for motor neurone disease. It is very frightening because 6 months ago I was totally normal, and then I kept dropping things then one day I collapsed getting out of the car as my left hand gave way.

I get extra time because I struggle to concentrate and when stressed my hands cramp up so I cannot use them. It means I will never be able to drive a car.

So, would you rather have my life or just do the exam in normal time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Your struggles as a non-disabled student are completely different. You just sound bitter.
    Who said I wasn't disabled ?

ReputationRep:
    But that's stupid. An exam isn't a fair representation of your ability if you ran out of time due to a disability.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's ridiculous.
    A person I know claims he writes slow and can't process information, yet he can write quick af! He always finishes quite early. me and him are about the same aiblity and he gets 25% extra time LIKE WTH

ReputationRep:
    I know somebody who got extra time because she basically failed a test. She had no special needs but her mum requested extra time so she managed to get it, after "failing" a pronunciation test. How is that fair? GRRRR

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.