Ask Her Majesty's Government – Parliament XXIII

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    With 87 days having passed this term, will the government be keeping to its promise of having a budget ready in the first 90 days?
    It is our intention. The Chancellor has been working hard to produce a worthy budget and meet the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the trade union bill thread in the Division Lobby I am rather alarmed, as not only did Life_peer fail to secure the unequivocal support of his own deputy for an important bill before it was put to vote, but there is clearly a lack of communication between him and some members of the government, as it appears that PetrosAC has had to resort to threatening MPs who voted Nay with being deprived of their seats if they don't change their vote. This doesn't seem like a sustainable state of affairs to me, so can the government be trusted to continue functioning effectively and not to turn into a TSR version of the rl Labour Party?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Looking at the trade union bill thread in the Division Lobby I am rather alarmed, as not only did Life_peer fail to secure the unequivocal support of his own deputy for an important bill before it was put to vote, but there is clearly a lack of communication between him and some members of the government, as it appears that PetrosAC has had to resort to threatening MPs who voted Nay with being deprived of their seats if they don't change their vote. This doesn't seem like a sustainable state of affairs to me, so can the government be trusted to continue functioning effectively and not to turn into a TSR version of the rl Labour Party?
    I take it you didn't see LP tell the whole house that the liberals aren't supporting the cons in government?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I take it you didn't see LP tell the whole house that the liberals aren't supporting the cons in government?
    I must have missed that somehow, where did he say that?

ReputationRep:
    I must have missed that somehow, where did he say that?
    PMQs

ReputationRep:
    Take your meds if you're alarmed… Anyway, you should know that government bills have to be approved by both leaders who are presumed to have mandate from their respective parties, except if they don't and their subordinates are stubborn as mules. :dontknow:

Some Liberal MPs apparently believe they're untouchable and perhaps it's true, since the leadership doesn't seem to have any effective means of securing their loyalty even if they're ****ing Secretaries of State who are bound by cabinet collective responsibility. These MPs expect others to approach them and ask for their opinions instead of following the debate and presenting their concerns before the items are submitted and/or reach the division lobby.

To be fair, I can't blame their leader for this as it's an integral part of their party's culture, however I feel he's not done particularly well in this case. Nevertheless, I commend him for changing his vote and thereby showing his support and loyalty to the government.

ReputationRep:
    Because you obviously don't know the facts, Petros actually gave the ok to put the Bill to Division, and as agreed, when we have a Bill, it's up to each Party leader to determine support from their Party. Petros gave the ok to LP, believing that the Liberals supported it, and so how should LP have known they didn't, until they voted No in Division...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    With 87 days having passed this term, will the government be keeping to its promise of having a budget ready in the first 90 days?
    Hear, hear. I'm highly concerned at the lackadaisical attitude the Government appear to be taking with regards to a budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Hear, hear. I'm highly concerned at the lackadaisical attitude the Government appear to be taking with regards to a budget.
    Shut the **** up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Shut the **** up.
    Repped because I'm amused, not because I echo the sentiment (I don't).

ReputationRep:
    Shut the **** up.
    Charming as ever :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Charming as ever :rolleyes:
    Stupid as ever… You're incapable self-criticism, your swift leadership was a complete farce, your canvassing pissed off everyone, your premature MoNC failed, yet you always have the nerve to waddle in and air your silly concerns in the most obnoxious way possible, such as by describing our attitude towards the budget that has already taken a lot of TF's time and effort as lackadaisical? Come back if you have some actual questions, otherwise I'll be ignoring you.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid as ever… You're incapable self-criticism, your swift leadership was a complete farce, your canvassing pissed off everyone, your premature MoNC failed, yet you always have the nerve to waddle in and air your silly concerns in the most obnoxious way possible, such as by describing our attitude towards the budget that has already taken a lot of TF's time and effort as lackadaisical? Come back if you have some actual questions, otherwise I'll be ignoring you.
    You are entitled to your own opinions but I would hardly describe my leadership as a 'farce'. It ended prematurely for personal reasons. As for the MoNC, that was a lot closer than most people anticipated and demonstrated that a lot of people are unhappy with the way your Government is performing. A lack of a budget is a perfectly valid concern and one you have brushed aside as a joke, quite frankly unacceptable behaviour for a Prime Minister or whatever ridiculous title you want to be referred to as. I hope that The Financier is indeed preparing a budget and with his hardworking attitude, I'm sure the budget will be a good length when it is eventually released. I think your response to my concern sums you up perfectly and if you're going to rant in such an aggressive manner, it would save a lot of my time if you in particular did decide to ignore me from now on.

ReputationRep:
    JoeL1994 and joecphillips are hereby dismissed with disgrace as Foreign Secretary and SoS for Health respectively for violating cabinet collective responsibility, blatantly ignoring repeated requests to support or at least abstain on government policy approved by the leader of their party or even engage in a conversation with the Chief Whip and the PM, ignoring debates, and their very low overall activity.

In all my time here, I haven't seen a more outrageous betrayal of one's own party, its leader, and government. The political careers of their RL counterparts would be finished, but unfortunately these two have practically nothing to lose except for their honour, which is apparently worth nothing. Shame on them.

They were notified beforehand and offered to resign in line with the constitutional convention, however they ignored that as well.

The positions will stay vacant and the departments led by the closest SoS until further notice.

cc PetrosAC Airmed mobbsy91 Saracen's Fez

ReputationRep:
    Interesting decision...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Interesting decision...
    I should add they were notified beforehand and offered to resign in line with the constitutional convention, however they ignored that as well.

ReputationRep:
    Seems to have been taken without liberal leadership concent based on the cc?
    Well this will certainly be very interesting indeed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Might want to check the powers of the PM

*Consent

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    The Prime Minister appoints and dismisses cabinet members in the name of the Sovereign. I don't know what ‘concent’ is but the Liberal leadership were notified in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Might want to check the powers of the PM

*Consent

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i know what they are.

The Prime Minister appoints and dismisses cabinet members in the name of the Sovereign.
    I know but if DC had dismissed a LD back in 2012 without cleggys permission or consultantion things would have been bad. Indeed, whenever the left are in power only the party leader in charge of the minister can dismiss them and not the PM.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.