Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    You can also earn big money in drug dealing, prostituition and money laundering and most criminals don't care about your degree subject..
    Those jobs are illegal, banking, law and accountancy are not. Not everyone wants to cure cancer- some people want to do something else that they enjoy. People who want to cure cancer just happen to enjoy that. What is your point here? Do you want everyone to do a STEM degree and work in cancer research? Because not everyone wants to.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Maker)
    Of course not, you can also work in a bar, fast food outlet or parking enforcement. Thats just an example silly.
    LOOOOOOL, kudos for the laugh..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Of course not, you can also work in a bar, fast food outlet or parking enforcement. Thats just an example silly.
    those are just typical grad jobs m8

to be fair when i was looking for graduate jobs i literally didn't see a single one that required a STEM degree besides the vocational ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    What did you study at uni and what do you do now other than belittle non stem students in your spare time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    i literally didn't see a single one that required a STEM degree besides the vocational ones
    /thread

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily... STEM subjects help you get a job easier with higher pay (mainstream job), however there's no harm in doing a non-STEM subject. If the world was just STEM subjects then... the world would be a boring place. You can become a billionaire when you truly love the subject you are studying and become better than everyone else at it and take advantage of it. People doing computer science used to just code for the fun of it and now they work for big companies. Same thing could happen to an artist; they could be drawing and next thing you know they are making animated films at Pixar.

However, non-STEM subjects have one advantage over STEM subjects; they make STEM subjects more interesting. Look at all the animations about maths and science. Looks interesting? What about all the music used in video game trailers, making it look soo realistic and interesting? What about all the buildings from assassins creed? Do you think a computer scientist just thought of them? No. A Historian told them how it looks like and therefore making the game more realistic and interesting.

So.. make sure you do something you love and don't forget to be the best at it. No use in doing a subject then saying "Ugh... I have to go study".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katty3)
    1) Money isn't everything.
    2) so? People are intelligent in different ways.
    3)So? Some people want to do a very specific career.
    4) Prove it.
    5) I highly doubt that. A computer will never be able to do emotion work.
    6) And if you don't want to go into a career like that?
    7) Doubt it. A physicist couldn't work as a counsellor working with anorexic teenagers.
    8) And a lot can't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry to break it to you but real intelligence is the ability to think of things that no one else (or very few people) can. In subjects which are subjective (namely every non STEM subject and every pseudo-science) everything is correct because the entire thing is based on opinion. In objective subjects actual progress is made because there are right and wrong answers. The two will never be of equal value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Why is that important?
    Can be handy when writing official reports, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STEMisSuperior.)
    lol yh i guess, STEM students do lack a certain writing caliber. But that's not applicable to everyone!

However, your brother now faces a large variety of careers with excellent prospects and often high paying jobs
    Lmao my other brother did Neuroscience at university. My sister's graduating with a degree in Languages. She's being paid more in her first job than he did.

So whatever you are saying is just either generalisations or total BS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asurat)
    They probably don't study Sociology
    if you have an Ology you are a Scientist....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Sorry to break it to you but real intelligence is the ability to think of things that no one else (or very few people) can. In subjects which are subjective (namely every non STEM subject and every pseudo-science) everything is correct because the entire thing is based on opinion. In objective subjects actual progress is made because there are right and wrong answers. The two will never be of equal value.
    lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Lmao my other brother did Neuroscience at university. My sister's graduating with a degree in Languages. She's being paid more in her first job than he did.

Do you really think your trivial use of anecdotal evidence proves anything?

How long will it take for people to put 2 and 2 together to finally realize that anecdotal is ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    You made an account for this? Get a life.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Broscientist)

How long will it take for people to put 2 and 2 together to finally realize that anecdotal is ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS.
    Not really. Anecdotal evidence can be an indication of edge cases to prove others wrong. It is absolutely true that a History grad starting an entry level i-banking/high finance job will be earning more than a grad engineer starting at an entry level (non oil and gas) engineering job.

Really does depend on the job. With 80% of these grad jobs not specifying a degree subject and the preference of STEM to non-STEM being 50:50 for hiring managers of said jobs - source is earlier in this thread, one can come to a conclusion that there is no significant premium (in earnings or chances of landing jobs) in getting a STEM degree in and of itself for most grad jobs.

I love how people automatically assume that Humanities degrees = Checkouts at ASDA or Barista at Starbucks, FYI, look through the grad destination surveys for stem subjects and you'll find a decent amount of them in low-skill jobs too.

I agree with what the other guy said about Engineering being the only real STEM course that leads to a defined, above average career which requires the degree to even think about applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broscientist)

My example pretty much shows that STEM grads don't always earn more than Arts grads.

You seem to be butthurt over that which shows a lot of you tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Not really. Anecdotal evidence can be an indication of edge cases to prove others wrong. It is absolutely true that a History grad starting an entry level i-banking/high finance job will be earning more than a grad engineer starting at an entry level (non oil and gas) engineering job.

Really does depend on the job. With 80% of these grad jobs not specifying a degree subject and the preference of STEM to non-STEM being 50:50 for hiring managers of said jobs - source is earlier in this thread, one can come to a conclusion that there is no significant premium (in earnings or chances of landing jobs) in getting a STEM degree in and of itself for most grad jobs.

I love how people automatically assume that Humanities degrees = Checkouts at ASDA or Barista at Starbucks, FYI, look through the grad destination surveys for stem subjects and you'll find a decent amount of them in low-skill jobs too.

I agree with what the other guy said about Engineering being the only real STEM course that leads to a defined, above average career which requires the degree to even think about applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    prsom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    That's entirely beside the point. Authors are intelligent. Artists are intelligent. An author may not be able to cure cancer, but they are able to enrich the lives of many people in their work.

A primary school teacher is a person who has an awful lot of knowledge and training. Someone who is a brilliant biochemist might run away screaming when faced with 30 six year olds. Teaching is subjective. I teach in a way that's very flexible and I have a good laugh with the kids. Other teachers teach in an entirely different way and are still good teachers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Anecdotal evidence is not representative of the whole population we are discussing (humanities). Nobody is disputing that an/a arts/humanities grad may have a higher starting salary. But is this the case on average?

Edge cases indicate that there may be a possibility of it happening, not the likelihood. In the end, we deal with what is most representative for the population we are discussing, not with Joshua's aunt, who is earning 50k pounds from home.

And I have not even touched on the biggest issues of anecdotal evidence - validity and biased selectivity.
    My example pretty much shows that STEM grads don't always earn more than Arts grads.You seem to be butthurt over that which shows a lot of you tbh.
    And where did I say that this was impossible for arts/humanities grads? What I wrote above is relevant to you as well. Or are your relatives representative of all arts/humanities graduates?

I love it when people get personal.

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”― Socrates

ReputationRep:

This is one of the reasons why non stem graduates get paid less than their stem counterparts. They take a sample of 2 and extrapolate to the entire population. Anyone who knows about how evidence and statistics work know this is invalid and misleading. A sample of 2 is far too small to draw meaningful conclusions from.

ReputationRep:
    Can be handy when writing official reports, etc
    People who can do those are 10 a penny, people who can do maths gets the money.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.