Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhoDaresWins)
    Crap for the infrared identify the bond and the functional group I think you had to write BOTH O-H and alcohols
    Yh I think so to seems to be the only thing I didnt slip up on...

Also I think we should focus on Chem 4 and 5 now guys and its normal to remember the stuff we did badly on thats human nature as someone above already said.

Lets bang out Chem 4 and 5 btw rate determing step is a *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asyes)
    For compound A and B i wrote the formula for butan-1-ol and butan-2-ol. Will i still get the marks? I mean i am techniqually identifying the coumpound. Btw u can resit this spec but u need to do it as an external canditate. U won't have college but u need to go college for the exam dates. Also for the electrophilic addition u just needed to go to the carbocation part, because that is the intermediate. It only asked used the mechanism to make the intermediate.
    Hi,

Am afraid your wrong - it said outline the mechanism for propene and H2SO4 you had to form the hydrogen sulphate product formed after the usual h2so4 mechanism - and then the step 2 it said they then added water to that to form propan-2-ol so you needed the complete h2so4 mechanism and had to identify that the reaction proceeds through carbocations and that secondary carbocation which was more stable than the primary one formed by propan 1 ol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    But is the spec similar to the legacy spec? It looks quite similar in terms of content
    You can still resit units 1 and 2. Have a look at AQA's timetable for June 2017. They have a one called CHEM1 (resit only) and CHEM2 (resit only) on the same days as the new spec chemistry AS exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahsan_ijaz)
    Hi,

Am afraid your wrong - it said outline the mechanism for propene and H2SO4 you had to form the hydrogen sulphate product formed after the usual h2so4 mechanism - and then the step 2 it said they then added water to that to form propan-2-ol so you needed the complete h2so4 mechanism and had to identify that the reaction proceeds through carbocations and that secondary carbocation which was more stable than the primary one formed by propan 1 ol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yea ur right, that means i only completed half of the mechanism, so i should only lose 2 marks. Everything else i wrote the same as u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senpaipoppy)
    You can still resit units 1 and 2. Have a look at AQA's timetable for June 2017. They have a one called CHEM1 (resit only) and CHEM2 (resit only) on the same days as the new spec chemistry AS exams
    Yep ur correct, like i said ppl u can resit it. All my teachers for biology, chemistry and psychology have said the same( AQA examboard). U just need to come back as an external candidate.

Btw i think i will lose around 17 marks, i hope to get an A. it should be like 80/100, i am sure it is. Honestly when i was looking at this thread, i noticed like 10 marks worth of silly mistakes. Honestly, it was easier to lose marks in this paper, since the questions were so long and was easy to misread it. The grade boundaries will be lower, even if only resits are taking this paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senpaipoppy)
    Is this 100% certain because all the centres I've contacted thus far said I couldn't

ReputationRep:
    Is this 100% certain because all the centres I've contacted thus far said I couldn't
    You will need to find a centre and AQA have some of their own you can sit it...

ReputationRep:
    Just curious which centres have you already tried for so i know not to try them lol ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sexybadman)
    Just curious which centres have you already tried for so i know not to try them lol ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Heathland Private school in Accrington and Pembrokeshire college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnterNamehereplz)
    You will need to find a centre and AQA have some of their own you can sit it...
    Yeah, I tried every single one on their list for Lancashire and only literally one let me sit exams as a private candidate so I wouldn't recommend looking on the AQA website at all

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I tried every single one on their list for Lancashire and only literally one let me sit exams as a private candidate so I wouldn't recommend looking on the AQA website at all
    Its so annoying, i hope we can find a center . I wish my current school just let us resit As and A2s. There letting us resit the A2s but not As levels like wtf srsly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asyes)
    Yea ur right, that means i only completed half of the mechanism, so i should only lose 2 marks. Everything else i wrote the same as u
    Hi,

Yeah they was tricky wording in the question but after it said that they added cold water to form a mixture of alcohols I clicked on about needing to attach the :O-S=OO-H can't draw structure lol - but yeah you'll probz only lose 1/2 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone feeling about CHEM4 do you think it will be hard or easy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutelady)
    How is everyone feeling about CHEM4 do you think it will be hard or easy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I love CHEM4, and tbh I always find it easy apart from the occasional buffers question.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote it wud produce chloric acid as nahclo contains hclo and when react with water forms chloric acid which is acidic and toxic and h30+

And has someone made the unoficial marks scheme yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shabaz77)
    I wrote it wud produce chloric acid as nahclo contains hclo and when react with water forms chloric acid which is acidic and toxic and h30+

And has someone made the unoficial marks scheme yet
    Salaam Shabaz.

I said it would form NaOH and Cl2 via the following reaction: NaClO + HCl = NaOH and Cl2. Not sure if that's right though energetically.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I saw no mention of a eqm in the Q - however - I'm wondering if it would give marks for saying hcl is corrosive ? As I've seen that awarded in the past

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is there an unofficial mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    Was just wondering for that identifying the alcohol where people have put butan 1 ol and butan 2 ol if they would accept primary and secondary alcohol? I have a major problem with not reading questions and just completely skipping facts they give you. I made so many stupid mistakes from not reading the questions and I'm really kicking myself over it because if I read them the paper wouldn't have been too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tayyabs17)
    Hey does anyone know how many marks in total question 9 was?
    If my memory serves me right it was 19.

Section B was 8&9 and it totaled 30 marks. One of the two questions was definitely 11 marks and the other 19 marks, I'm 100% certain about that, I just can't remember which way around, but I think it was the 19 marker.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.