Ask the Speaker II

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I don't, because it's not right we should 'force' people to go offsite to view the information. Having the info on the new wiki is fine, as well as the pages give 'extra' background into everything is brilliant, but making it the main source of info shouldn't be done, and for ease, we should keep the important/main/current stuff on site, and just copy it over for reference.
    I see no reason for any of the main source info being on both, but it should definitely stay on TSR. This Wikia isn't and shouldn't be a replacement. It's a Top-Up.

The code is also interchangeable mostly which makes it a lot easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Agreed, and we do all know that TSR servers are rubish though.
    Haha, yeh that is definitely very very true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I see no reason for any of the main source info being on both, but it should definitely stay on TSR. This Wikia isn't and shouldn't be a replacement. It's a Top-Up.

The code is also interchangeable mostly which makes it a lot easier
    I mean, stuff like History and stuff... especially for Governments, when they're rarely changed... whislt that should stay on TSR, there's no reason imo why once a term, the changes can just be copied over... as you say, it's not particularly difficult to move the source code over.

ReputationRep:
    I don't, because it's not right we should 'force' people to go offsite to view the information. Having the info on the new wiki is fine, as well as the pages give 'extra' background into everything is brilliant, but making it the main source of info shouldn't be done, and for ease, we should keep the important/main/current stuff on site, and just copy it over for reference.
    I think the current wiki should include important documents such as the Constitution, the GD and Hansards. I think the new wiki should include fun stuff like information about the parties, member profiles and general history of the MHoC. Both are wikis and the only difference really is their url. The current wiki feels like it is offsite as it is not really in the TSR format. If there is an easy, accessible link to the new wiki from the MHoC and the new wiki includes links back to the MHoC, it will be fine and people will probably forget it has a slightly different url to the current one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Saracen's Fez Whose project is this and why are these information being moved off-site instead of updating TSR wiki?
    Petros's project originally and it's a nice record to make – it shouldn't have any effect upon on-site matters and the TRS wiki will be used as it currently is.

(Original post by Quamquam123)
    I think it would be best if we just move the useful pages from the current wiki to the new one and make that our main wiki that contains all the information in one place.
    No, I can't really support that. Whilst Wikia is a nice project to produce a better record (in time) of the details of the MHoC through the years, it cannot replace the on-site wiki pages.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

How much of a nightmare is this ****ing shite with the notifications?

ReputationRep:
    Also, megalols at trying to regulate offsite conduct. The very beauty of it is that it doesn't fall under TSR's ironfist rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Petros's project originally and it's a nice record to make – it shouldn't have any effect upon on-site matters and the TRS wiki will be used as it currently is.

No, I can't really support that. Whilst Wikia is a nice project to produce a better record (in time) of the details of the MHoC through the years, it cannot replace the on-site wiki pages.
    What do you think about my post above?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Mr Speaker,

Welcome to ****ing TSR.

ReputationRep:

I see, that's fair enough. I'm glad you don't intend to use it as a replacement for the local one, which I think would be a very bad move. Although TSR and its staff are often very difficult to work with, it is still TSR MHoC and I believe we should aim to keep all relevant information here and most pages locked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    It's probably a good idea for use of less used pages (e.g. Current law) to be put there and then when acts have passed they can be copied over and look prettier maybe? Would also save space on TSR servers. As long as the constitution isn't copied over to keep it less serious I see no issue.
    Current law shouldn't be little used

Further, there will likely be at the very least PETAbytes of data, and you're worrying about MEGAbytes...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

And also emails not coming through for replies to threads as well.

(Original post by Quamquam123)
    What do you think about my post above?
    I don't see any need to move anything away from TSR – there should be a reasonable assumption that stuff that is on here now should stay on here and not be taken off-site. New things can be created off-site, but nothing is to be taken off.

ReputationRep:
    And also emails not coming through for replies to threads as well.

You mean people still let that spam through?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You mean people still let that spam through?!
    It's useful, especially as I want to read posts on all main forum threads. The 10-minute delay was annoying enough when that came in, let alone not getting the emails at all.

ReputationRep:
    It's useful, especially as I want to read posts on all main forum threads. The 10-minute delay was annoying enough when that came in, let alone not getting the emails at all.
    Ummm, and the on site subscription system is insufficient to tell you when posts have been made without getting thousands of emails a day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Ummm, and the on site subscription system is insufficient to tell you when posts have been made without getting thousands of emails a day?
    What on-site subscription system is there other than emails?

ReputationRep:
    "Watched threads"

ReputationRep:
    Watched threads...

ReputationRep:
    Watched threads...
    "Watched threads"
    Which send emails?

ReputationRep:
    Which send emails?
    Why would you want emails?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.