Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    a second referendum makes perfect sense - even for leavers.

Why be in a rush to leave?

Lets make DOUBLY certain this really is what the country wants
    We aren't in a rush. We need to formulate an exit strategy first, then apply it. But delaying things with a second referendum would royally piss off everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Only 360k of the signatures are even from the UK lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I want fair democracy. How is it fair that nearly exactly half the country can oppose a thing (and substantial parts of the other half be fooled into voting for it) yet that be treated as a completely decisive decision requiring immediate submission by Parliament?

Also, Parliament is the ruler of Britain, not serial liars like Nigel Farage or Daniel Hannan, or the handful of extremely right wing Tory politicians cashing in on this to introduce their extremist version of austerity.
    How is it fair that more than half the population vote for something yet because people throw a hissy fit the others get what they want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I'm not speaking of Farage, but the Remainers. What would they have said if they had won and Farage was calling for a 2nd referendum?
    They would be saying exactly the same, its unfair wahh wahh not democratic wahhh (although it is).

ReputationRep:
    The most stupid thing I've ever seen. Clearly the 1.4m people that signed it don't under the concept of referendum. The percentile range proposal should have been specified BEFORE the voting. Get over it. Yes I voted remain, but it's embarrassing to see so many people make idiots of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    indeed.

Still worked though
    It did, and nearly resurrected a vogue for Irish jokes.

ReputationRep:
    Reminder that a tiny fraction of the signatures are even from the ukonly around 360k you can check this in the .json
    reminder that a tiny fraction of the signatures are even from the ukonly around 360k you can check this in the .json

reminder that a tiny fraction of the signatures are even from the ukonly around 360k you can check this in the .json

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    It's not about what I want, it's about what the people want. Judging by the number of signers of this petition, the people want a second referendum. If you support democracy you'd respect that.
    The people want to leave as was shown the other day when they voted to leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Only 360k of the signatures are even from the UK lmao
    Wait, what?

Any links to prove this?

ReputationRep:
    I voted remain and yes I'm annoyed by the result, however I can only ever see another vote yielding an equally close outcome. In my opinion the result is anything but decisive and I'd probably go as far as to say very divisive. However, I think the best course of action now is to move on and work on healing any divisions caused by this vote.

Initially I was very annoyed, I admit that I did sign that petition because I was annoyed at the result. I even went as far as to seeing if I was eligible for Irish citizenship (I'm one generation too far down the line unfortunately :P). I feel like an older generation has decided our future despite them being unlikely to see much or any of it. All that seems to have happened is we've handed power from one set of elites to another and put the economy at risk in the process. I'm sure many people will be familiar with the FT comment piece that has been shared around social media a lot recently and it pretty accurately sums up my feelings on this.

I think now we just have to move on though and try to fix some of the divisions that have formed. Caroline Lucas's guardian piece seems to suggest a pretty sensible way forward. https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rtional-voting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Edit to add: Over 1,400,000 signatures.
    This is now the most signed UK petition ever. By far.
    Of course it is. We're trying to save the country :emo:
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Josb)
    I'm not speaking of Farage, but the Remainers. What would they have said if they had won and Farage was calling for a 2nd referendum?
    Oh I see. Yeah they would be crying foul of course

Only natural.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    Wait, what?

Any links to prove this?
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215.json

{"name":"United Kingdom","code":"GB","signature_ count":353988}
    literally only 354k signatures are from the uk

CRY MORE REMAINVOTERS

ReputationRep:
    Can someone in favour of having a 2nd Referendum please explain to me why it would be 'Democratic' to do so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215.json

{"name":"United Kingdom","code":"GB","signature_ count":353988}

CRY MORE REMAINVOTERS

LMAO :toofunny:

Some people from Saudi Arabia and Sudan signed :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Of course it is. We're trying to save the country :emo:
    By destroying democracy, some people who have signed this also support taking the vote against poor people how is that helpful and saving the country?

If you really think ignoring the people's wishes will save this country you are deluded there is already a divide between the public and parliament and parliament not doing its job will lead to at least more ukip MPs and possibly even a further right party.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty undemocratic and naive call really. At least wait 6 months till the negotiations are getting sticky and people grasp that the NHS is not going to be richly funded and everyone in the nation able to live in a 6 bedroom house and drink champagne daily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    Can someone in favour of having a 2nd Referendum please explain to me why it would be 'Democratic' to do so?
    Because it's only democracy if it goes the way regressive's want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    I voted Remain but I think this petition is pointless. Leave won fair and square - let this be a lesson for people (in general) to take referendums and elections seriously and actually vote. Hopefully it sinks in by the time the next general election is upon us and we don't destroy this country any further.
    that won't happen. I do however disagree that the petition is pointless. Too many people, including David Cameron underestimated the British idiot class. Had he expected so many numpties who don't usually vote, to actually get off their ass and vote, and expected so many reasonable thinking people to think leave would never win...he'd never have called it in the first place.

ReputationRep:

These are the sort of people wanting another referendum. All dem liberal arts students... nope lol. The face of youth unemployment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.