TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Haha I can't wait to get going with Year 1! I'll have to favourite this post and see how I feel this time next year and every subsequent year after that...!

Eager beaver reading through every little bit of info I can get access to. About the Uni, the course, the handbook, the PBL cases!

And there you guys are feeling negative about going back/finishing the course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayAhm)
    Haha I can't wait to get going with Year 1! I'll have to favourite this post and see how I feel this time next year and every subsequent year after that...!

Eager beaver reading through every little bit of info I can get access to. About the Uni, the course, the handbook, the PBL cases!

And there you guys are feeling negative about going back/finishing the course!
    Try and hold on to that feeling as long as you can. I'm slightly older, and a lot more cynical.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I'm actually pretty optimistic about properly starting 5th year tomorrow! I feel like I have a good handle on myself and how to learn and develop as a clinical student, and this year is less stressful and less time pressured than 4th year too. And I'm on the home stretch - in less than a year I'll have moved across the country and be working, which are the two things I've dreamed of doing for the last 2 years.

That said, as time goes by I'm getting more anxious at the prospect of F1. Not because I don't think I can do it, because I know I can. But mostly because of the horror stories I keep hearing about people being woefully undersupported, left in charge of the ward at night on their first day and all that stuff. It's going to be really stressful for a good few months I imagine :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghotay)
    Haha, I'm actually pretty optimistic about properly starting 5th year tomorrow! I feel like I have a good handle on myself and how to learn and develop as a clinical student, and this year is less stressful and less time pressured than 4th year too. And I'm on the home stretch - in less than a year I'll have moved across the country and be working, which are the two things I've dreamed of doing for the last 2 years.

That said, as time goes by I'm getting more anxious at the prospect of F1. Not because I don't think I can do it, because I know I can. But mostly because of the horror stories I keep hearing about people being woefully undersupported, left in charge of the ward at night on their first day and all that stuff. It's going to be really stressful for a good few months I imagine :/
    I think I would feel better if I were in your situation. I know from experience that I suck at being a student and am far better when I can just do the job properly. If I only had a year left, and was narrowing down choices for Foundation year, then it would feel doable. Two more years of being a student just feels soul destroying to me.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I can understand you'd be feeling optimistic starting 5th year! One year left till it's all over!

I think it's just the excitement before starting. All that you go through for the application process, itching to start. Two weeks in, I'll probably be missing the life that I've had for the last few years. The holidays, the cars, the freedom! I'm a couple years older than your standard school leaver but quite looking forward to this new chapter! I'm not quite sure I'm ready to start growing up yet though!

ReputationRep:
    Starting med school at Liverpool next month, any chance I can be added to the list in the OP?

Also, any tips for first year of med school? Need some pointers from all the experienced medics in here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheyCallMePolish)
    Starting med school at Liverpool next month, any chance I can be added to the list in the OP?

Also, any tips for first year of med school? Need some pointers from all the experienced medics in here
    - keep calm
    - actually keep on top of your work and deadlines
    - revise as you go along to prevent making life a living hell 4 weeks before exams start.
    - make your revision active and vary your methods.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, have a life outside of medicine, join a society, go to socials, go home to visit family and have an amazing first year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    - keep calm
    - actually keep on top of your work and deadlines
    - revise as you go along to prevent making life a living hell 4 weeks before exams start.
    - make your revision active and vary your methods.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, have a life outside of medicine, join a society, go to socials, go home to visit family and have an amazing first year!
    awesome, thanks! I'm not much of a party animal so hopefully i'll be able to manage to keep on top of the workload!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    I think I would feel better if I were in your situation. I know from experience that I suck at being a student and am far better when I can just do the job properly. If I only had a year left, and was narrowing down choices for Foundation year, then it would feel doable. Two more years of being a student just feels soul destroying to me.
    Yeah, I remember how that felt. I don't envy you, end of 3rd/beginning of fourth was something of a low point in my enthusiasm for medicine. Especially after I had the most amazing summer that year, the mere idea of going back to uni made me want to be dead.

All I can say is I ended up getting so much out of 4th year and actually really enjoying it. I think that was due to a big combination of factors, including being at a great hospital and having a really keen firm, which always helps. But I also felt like I learnt so much about doctoring over that year, and gained a lot of confidence. Can't really say if any of that will apply to you since you starting the degree with way more experience of clinical settings, and I don't know how your uni structures fourth year. But I'm sure you'll feel better the closer you get to the finish line

ReputationRep:
    Are you guys digital note takers? or traditional pen/paper?

Any app recommendations? I use a lot of different apps for work but not sure how they'd be for uni note taking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    me neither (dont drink) and that really helped me enjoy my time at uni because I had a great balance, its also important to keep in contact with family and loved ones, they are great support at uni!
    yeah I intend to keep in major contact with them! thanks for the encouragement!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheyCallMePolish)
    yeah I intend to keep in major contact with them! thanks for the encouragement!
    sorry the op was anon...

ReputationRep:

Any app recommendations? I use a lot of different apps for work but not sure how they'd be for uni note taking.
    I'm a big OneNote fan because you can import PDFs/powerpoints and use it to take typed or stylus notes depending on your style (it's the closest thing I can find to 'scrawling all over a photocopied handout, but digital'). You do have to be careful with backups though!

I'm one of those people who tried to digitally make notes, failed, tried making traditional pen/paper notes and failed again. So now I'm just one of those that zones out during lectures and regrets it later.

ReputationRep:

Digital with OneNote. Had a stylus on a hybrid Windows laptop/tablet.

During revision: hand-written notes in a notebook

ReputationRep:

In lectures I usually just have a small notepad to jot down anything the guy says but don't really make proper notes during.

For making my own revision notes it's a mixture of written and typed up on word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    I'm one of those people who tried to digitally make notes, failed, tried making traditional pen/paper notes and failed again. So now I'm just one of those that zones out during lectures and regrets it later.
    Ugh, I relate to this so much. I'll probably try to take some handwritten notes and consolidate afterwards.

Anyone have recommendations for making notes in clinical years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shengis14)
    Ugh, I relate to this so much. I'll probably try to take some handwritten notes and consolidate afterwards.

Anyone have recommendations for making notes in clinical years?
    You don't. You see something, or hear about something. Realise you don't know some part of the presentation -> discharge pathway, then you go look it up later. Maybe you make notes of it when you're looking it up. But mostly you consolidate that knowledge by seeing the same presentation 15 more times during your placement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Feeling pretty meh about starting back at uni. Have seen both the best and worst of the NHS in the past few weeks, and I'm not entirely sure the good bits outweigh the bad for me.*

On that note, I wish to file two formal complaints, one to a GP surgery and one to a hospital. Is PALS the way to go?

--feels like should know this but too brain fogged--

(Anon on purpose)*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Feeling pretty meh about starting back at uni. Have seen both the best and worst of the NHS in the past few weeks, and I'm not entirely sure the good bits outweigh the bad for me.*

On that note, I wish to file two formal complaints, one to a GP surgery and one to a hospital. Is PALS the way to go?

--feels like should know this but too brain fogged--

(Anon on purpose)*
    I'm definitely feeling the same as your first paragraph!

I take it you're complaining as a patient? For hospital PALS is definitely the way to go. GP practices tend to, AFAIK, have their own complaints procedures. They're often detailed on their website, but practice manager is often the go to. (I'm sure some of the current docs will be along to correct me if I'm wrong).

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.