The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I'd report you to compliance but they are too busy blocking people from voting because they like the foo fighters
    The Foo Fighters? I could understand if liking Coldplay was grounds for stopping you voting in a Labour leadership election (or having Kenny Everett videos as he was a Conservative supporter), but the Foo Fighters must be a joke.

Meanwhile the RL Greens are having a Leadership election without all this drama.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Meanwhile the RL Greens are having a Leadership election without all this drama.
    I presume you're standing in it?

ReputationRep:
    image.jpg

An empty seat in case Jeremy Corbyn is travelling today.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I presume you're standing in it?
    Too late. I supported Caroline Lucas and Jonathan Bartley (a job share)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Too late. I supported Caroline Lucas and Jonathan Bartley (a job share)
    I think Jonathan Bartley would be good. I think Caroline Lucas might be a bit too rebellious to be a leader but she could prove me wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I think Jonathan Bartley would be good. I think Caroline Lucas might be a bit too rebellious to be a leader but she could prove me wrong.
    She's already been leader you know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    She's already been leader you know...
    Lol. I didn't know that.

ReputationRep:
    Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 13.09.43.png
    'Tis done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    'Tis done.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were a non-Corbynista?

ReputationRep:
    'Tis done.
    *casually removes cran from the usergroup*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    *casually removes cran from the usergroup*
    You're a Corbynista?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    You're a Corbynista?
    He's better than smith.

ReputationRep:
    As much as it's interesting to see you guys supporting Smith one has to remember that you guys were spouting the Corbyn mantra only 6 months ago, even infecting normally sane people like Ray.

The notion that any of you thought the people were crying out for an extremist who hates our historic cultural institutions proves why Labour probably don't deserve any respect and why you guys should still not be trusted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    As much as it's interesting to see you guys supporting Smith one has to remember that you guys were spouting the Corbyn mantra only 6 months ago, even infecting normally sane people like Ray.

The notion that any of you thought the people were crying out for an extremist who hates our historic cultural institutions proves why Labour probably don't deserve any respect and why you guys should still not be trusted.
    My stance hasn't changed because I think he's any less electable, but because my views have changed, more of his policy platform which I find unpalatable has come to light, and the other candidates were mostly genuinely terrible last time around (Burnham was okay, and if I could go back now, I'd vote him-Corbyn-Cooper-Kendall).

However, the man is not an extremist (the whole 'terrorist sympathiser' thing is complete nonsense if you spend a couple of minutes using your cognitive faculties - there's much more of a case to be made for McDonnell, I'll admit), and I don't see how either a) he hates historic institutions, or b) why that's a bad thing (if something is bad on balance in a vacuum, the fact that it is 'historic' or an 'institution' doesn't suddenly mean it's worth retaining).

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were a non-Corbynista?
    I dislike Corbyn but I really dislike Smith. I'd prefer it if Corbyn won this contest and then a decent candidate challenged him and won. I agree that the party needs a new leader but I just don't believe Smith is the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)

Our historical cultural institutions such as the NHS, out trade unions, the House of Lords etc, which the Tories are launching attacks on?

You're being disingenuous.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    My stance hasn't changed because I think he's any less electable, but because my views have changed, more of his policy platform which I find unpalatable has come to light, and the other candidates were mostly genuinely terrible last time around (Burnham was okay, and if I could go back now, I'd vote him-Corbyn-Cooper-Kendall).

However, the man is not an extremist (the whole 'terrorist sympathiser' thing is complete nonsense if you spend a couple of minutes using your cognitive faculties - there's much more of a case to be made for McDonnell, I'll admit), and I don't see how either a) he hates historic institutions, or b) why that's a bad thing (if something is bad on balance in a vacuum, the fact that it is 'historic' or an 'institution' doesn't suddenly mean it's worth retaining).
    He's a Republican, he does not support the union, he would give the Falklands and Gibraltor away, he's somewhat sympathetic to Russia and would leave NATO (god forbid what he would do to defense spending). Those are just a start.

The problem with the Corbyn types is not so much the threat they pose to capitalism (if the right cannot defend the market economy then they deserve to lose) but rather the radical price that you guys are willing to pay for it. A monarchy that goes back the better part of a thousand years, a union which stretches back centuries, overseas territories we fought a war for, an alliance which services our interests against the very threat that he shows sympathy for.

This is not a man who wants to make people more prosperous, but a man who hates what his country is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    He's better than smith.
    When you think Corbyn is the best candidate, the Labour Party is in such **** it is unbelievable. It is sad to see a once lean mean election winning machine in such a state...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Our historical cultural institutions such as the NHS, out trade unions, the House of Lords etc, which the Tories are launching attacks on?

You're being disingenuous.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Whaffle!

You guys have been telling us that the Tories will privatise the NHS for 6 years.. it's still here.
    Tories are launching attacks on the HOL?
    Unions are private institutions and still have significant legal protection.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.